Quiz question

Big Joke New

It's a quiet time for football news so let's try a quiz question. A lot of people might know the answer, but no googling if you don't.

Only once since the leagues began in 1890 have both Rangers and the Bheasts from the East finished outside the top 4 in the same season. Which season?

It's a quiet time for football news so let's try a quiz question. A lot of people might know the answer, but no googling if you don't.

Only once since the leagues began in 1890 have both Rangers and the Bheasts from the East finished outside the top 4 in the same season. Which season?
Genuinely have no idea. But looking forward to finding out. Every day's a school day on here:):D

I had to Google the answer, I wasn't even close to guessing.

I had to Google the answer, I wasn't even close to guessing.
I was guessing pre first world war. During 2nd world war the leagues were split into North and South leagues as travelling was banned.

Rangers recorded nine in a row in that period if counting the WW2 South league titles. They also won the final North league too. So actually won two titles same season during that run. :cool:

I was guessing pre first world war. During 2nd world war the leagues were split into North and South leagues as travelling was banned.

Rangers recorded nine in a row in that period if counting the WW2 South league titles. They also won the final North league too. So actually won two titles same season during that run. :cool:
First WW there were 4 titles (1915-18). Scum won 3 and us 1. All of those count as titles.
Second WW there were 6 titles (1940-45). We won all 6. None of them count as titles.

Even then they were cheating us.

Had absolutely no idea but inspired me to look at the league table from that year. How did goal average work? Hearts, in 2nd place and level on points, had a far superior goal difference, by the looks of things????

First WW there were 4 titles (1915-18). Scum won 3 and us 1. All of those count as titles.
Second WW there were 6 titles (1940-45). We won all 6. None of them count as titles.

We should absolutely 'add them on'! I know it isn't staunch but let's fight fire with fire. They match us in the next few years let's hit out with 6 additional titles. They count their war titles so....

Had absolutely no idea but inspired me to look at the league table from that year. How did goal average work? Hearts, in 2nd place and level on points, had a far superior goal difference, by the looks of things????
The old system divided goals for by goals against. The higher average won the league. Going into the last game Hearts only needed a draw against Killie but got beat 2-0.

How come both teams were so far away from the top of the table? A quick look on Wikipedia shows that immediately before and after that year the OF were both back up in the top 3/4.

Would that not make it 10 in a row then? ;)

I’ve just seen this. I wish I saw it when it was posted, because I knew the answer without Googling. It was the last season neither Rangers nor Celtic were in contention for the title.

Although Rangers weren’t that far away. I posted about this maybe a couple of years ago, when I found an online reference to Rangers finishing “mid table” that season. In fact, Rangers were just 6 points from first place (2 points for a win in those days).

Celtic were mid table. 13 points off first place. 8th out of 18 teams.

To answer @Normandy ’s point, despite that being Celtic’s worst post-war finish, it wasn’t that much of an outlier: they’d only won one league title in twenty years. The following season, they got a new manager, Jock Stein…

The titles we won during the 2nd WW weren't national titles. As an example - while we were winning the 1942/43 & 1943/44 Southern League, Aberdeen were winning the North Eastern league.

I've been part of a supporters quiz league for a few years and I've been our team's quiz master for the round we host. If I can find some of my old questions then I'll stick them on the thread for a bit of summer interest.

If they count their war titles we should absolutely count ours. No debate.
Nobody should count their war titles.

There was a war on, the competition was suspended, the Southern League was geographically limited, and it featured depleted teams and guest players.

They simply weren’t Scottish League titles.

Nobody should count their war titles.

There was a war on, the competition was suspended, the Southern League was geographically limited, and it featured depleted teams and guest players.

They simply weren’t Scottish League titles.
The only one of those that applied during the 1st World War is depleted sides. The competition wasn't suspended, the league wasn't geographically limited, and it didn't feature guest players.

The only one of those that applied during the 1st World War is depleted sides. The competition wasn't suspended, the league wasn't geographically limited, and it didn't feature guest players.
All correct.

I was talking about WW2. There’s no dispute about WW1.

How come both teams were so far away from the top of the table? A quick look on Wikipedia shows that immediately before and after that year the OF were both back up in the top 3/4.
Baxter breaking his leg in Vienna in December probably didn't help.

I’ve just seen this. I wish I saw it when it was posted, because I knew the answer without Googling. It was the last season neither Rangers nor Celtic were in contention for the title.

Although Rangers weren’t that far away. I posted about this maybe a couple of years ago, when I found an online reference to Rangers finishing “mid table” that season. In fact, Rangers were just 6 points from first place (2 points for a win in those days).

Celtic were mid table. 13 points off first place. 8th out of 18 teams.

To answer @Normandy ’s point, despite that being Celtic’s worst post-war finish, it wasn’t that much of an outlier: they’d only won one league title in twenty years. The following season, they got a new manager, Jock Stein…
It wasn't their worst post war record. In 47/48 they finished 12 of 16 and 4 points above second bottom. From then until they won the league in mid 50's they had a couple of seasons where they were 8th and 9th out of 16 and again 4 points above second bottom.

First set of football questions that I've been able to find from my quiz. We usually do 6 rounds per heat - 3 football and 3 general sports questions. These were correct as of October 2022.

Football 1: English football.
1. Which team set a new English Premier League record by accumulating 101 yellow
cards in the 2021/22 league season? (2 points)

2. And which team holds the record for the fewest yellow cards in a single EPL
season, having received 12 yellows in the 1993/94 season? (2 points)

3. Which team play their home games at Kirklees stadium? (2 Points)

4. Who is the only player to have scored a hattrick in the Premier League,
Championship, League 1, League 2, League Cup, FA Cup and for his international
side? (2 points)

5. Who is the only player to have won the FA Cup with both Liverpool and Everton? (2
points)

6. Who is the only player to have played in the top 4 divisions of English football and
the top 4 divisions of Scottish football? (2 points)

7. Uri Geller was once appointed co-chairman of which English football club? (2
points)

8. Who are the only English club to have been managed by former Scotland manager
Craig Brown? (2 points)

9. Which former Rangers player scored the winning goal in the 1995 FA Cup final? (2
points)

10. Who are the only team to have won the FA Cup and been relegated in the same
season? (2 points)

Football 2: Scottish football. 10 questions/20 points
1. Who is the only Scottish player to have won the Ballon d'Or (2 points)

2. Who was the first player to play in at least 1 European match for 4 different Scottish
clubs? (2 points)

3. Which 2 managers did Robbie Neilson replace as Hearts boss, taking over in 2014
for his 1 st spell and 2020 for his 2 nd time managing the club? (2 points, 1 for each)

4. Which player holds the record for the most goals scored in a single Scottish top
flight league season? (2 points)

5. Which former Scottish top flight player represented both East Germany and the re-
unified Germany at international level between 1984 and 1994? (2 points)

6. In what year were the last 2 Christmas Day matches played in Scotland? (2 points)

7. Craig Brewster scored 45 goals in 155 appearances for which Greek club side? (2
points)

8. Which team defeated Motherwell in both legs of their 2022/23 UEFA Conference
League qualifier? (2 points)

9. Which team won the 2021/22 SWPL Scottish Women's Premier League title? (2
points)

10. Which 2 teams did Bonnyrigg Rose beat in the 2021/22 play-offs to win promotion
to League 2? (2 points/1 for each team)

Football round 3: General knowledge 10 questions/20 points
1. Who was the last player to transfer directly between Barcelona and Real Madrid? (2
points)

2. Which 2 teams did Nottingham Forest beat in their European Cup final wins? (2
points/ 1 point for each)

3. How many managers have been in charge of both Chelsea and Tottenham
Hotspur? (2 points)

4. Who are the only East German team to win a Europrean club competition?

5. Which country won their first ever African Nations Cup in 2021? (2 points)

6. Who is the only player to score a hat-trick in the Champions League for 3 different
clubs? (2 points)

7. Who did Watford appoint as manager in September 2022, their 4 th manager since
October 2021? (2 points)

8. Owen Coyle managed which American MLS team between 2014 and 2016? (2
points)

9. Which football ground was the first ground in the UK to feature designated dugouts?
(2 points)

10. Hampden has hosted 3 European Cup/Champions League finals. Real Madrid have
won 2 of them. Who was the other team to win a European Cup at Hampden? (2
points)

First set of football questions that I've been able to find from my quiz. We usually do 6 rounds per heat - 3 football and 3 general sports questions. These were correct as of October 2022.

1. Which team set a new English Premier League record by accumulating 101 yellow

side? (2 points)

5. Who is the only player to have won the FA Cup with both Liverpool and Everton? (2
points)

6. Who is the only player to have played in the top 4 divisions of English football and

points)

8. Who are the only English club to have been managed by former Scotland manager
Craig Brown? (2 points)

9. Which former Rangers player scored the winning goal in the 1995 FA Cup final? (2
points)

season? (2 points)

2. Who was the first player to play in at least 1 European match for 4 different Scottish
clubs? (2 points)

3. Which 2 managers did Robbie Neilson replace as Hearts boss, taking over in 2014
for his 1 st spell and 2020 for his 2 nd time managing the club? (2 points, 1 for each)

4. Which player holds the record for the most goals scored in a single Scottish top

5. Which former Scottish top flight player represented both East Germany and the re-

6. In what year were the last 2 Christmas Day matches played in Scotland? (2 points)

7. Craig Brewster scored 45 goals in 155 appearances for which Greek club side? (2
points)

points)

10. Which 2 teams did Bonnyrigg Rose beat in the 2021/22 play-offs to win promotion

1. Who was the last player to transfer directly between Barcelona and Real Madrid? (2
points)

2. Which 2 teams did Nottingham Forest beat in their European Cup final wins? (2

Hotspur? (2 points)

6. Who is the only player to score a hat-trick in the Champions League for 3 different
clubs? (2 points)

7. Who did Watford appoint as manager in September 2022, their 4 th manager since
October 2021? (2 points)

points)

9. Which football ground was the first ground in the UK to feature designated dugouts?
(2 points)

points)
They’re great questions!

Would you be able to PM me the answers as we have a football night out next weekend and they would be great for that?

Ta!

They’re great questions!

Would you be able to PM me the answers as we have a football night out next weekend and they would be great for that?

Ta!

I'll pull together the football and non-football sports ones I've got and send them via DM over the course of the day

side? (2 points)

points)

points)

Craig Brown? (2 points)

points)

season? (2 points)

clubs? (2 points)

points)

points)

points)

Hotspur? (2 points)

clubs? (2 points)

October 2021? (2 points)

points)

(2 points)

points)
Only answering ones I know or guessing on ones I think are right

English football
4. Robbie Earnshaw
5. Gary Ablett?
7. Reading?
8. Preston
9. Paul Rideout
10. Wigan

Scottish Football
1. Denis Law
2. Levein & Stendel
7. Ionikos
8. Shamrock Rovers

General Football
1. Luis Figo
2. Malmo & Hamburg
6. Cristiano Ronaldo
8. Houston Dynamo
10. Ajax

Only answering ones I know or guessing on ones I think are right

English football
4. Robbie Earnshaw
5. Gary Ablett?
7. Reading?
8. Preston
9. Paul Rideout
10. Wigan

Scottish Football
1. Denis Law
2. Levein & Stendel
7. Ionikos
8. Shamrock Rovers

General Football
1. Luis Figo
2. Malmo & Hamburg
6. Cristiano Ronaldo
8. Houston Dynamo
10. Ajax

Not Reading.
Not Shamrock Rovers
Not Figo
Not Ronaldo
Not Ajax.

I'll have a go at the General one.

1. Luis Figo
2. Malmo and Hamburg
3. Guess 5
4. FC Magdeburg
5. Ivory Coast?
6. Suarez?
7. ?
8. Chicago?
9. Hampden?
10. Bayern Munich

Back