R A N G E and R and S.

WAAP

Just walked past ALEXA and said, "Alexa play a Rangers Song."
Alexa played this song - R A N G E and R and S, by Lex McLean.
A Golden Oldie that this Golden Oldie had never heard.
The team that he sings about includes Davie Provan and George McLean. So that must be about 1963 or 1964.
Probably the team that beat Dundee in the Scottish Cup Final.
Anyone got any other belters to pass the time - and this is only the beginning.
Keep safe and keep well, Bears.

The team that he sings about includes Davie Provan and George McLean. So that must be about 1963 or 1964.

I had the single that this was on. It was the B side to Every Other Saturday.

I first heard the R A N G E R S song being sung on a bus on the way from Barcelona to Lloret de Mar after the game on the night we won the ECWC. I had never heard it until that night. A couple of years later I acquired the 45rpm record of Lex McLean doing 'Every other Setturday' and discovered that the R A N G E R S song was on the b side. Great old song. Another song I heard on a street in Lloret on the following day which was being belted out by a crowd of Bears contained the line, "We won't forget you, Willie Woodburn", but I have never heard it since. Does anyone on here know that song?

They come from over Glasgow, they come from near and far
They come from every highland glen from here to Lochnagar
They sail from dear old Belfast to the bonnie banks of Clyde
They gather round at Ibrox Park and sing this song with pride
For it's R A N G E R S, and in case you didn't catch it friend I'll set your mind at rest
For its R A N G E R S, and the boys in blue from Ibrox aye they're Scotland's very best

Last edited:
Chorus --------"There's Ritchie, Shearer, Provan , John Greig, McKinnon too, there's Baxter , Henderson , George McLean, who proudly wear the blue, there's Millar , Brand & Wilson , what better could ye want , plus 70,000 Rangers fans that proudly sing the chant …….. Oh Yea it's R A N G E & R & S "etc etc.

Loved the song and will still have the single somewhere in the house.

I first heard the R A N G E R S song being sung on a bus on the way from Barcelona to Lloret de Mar after the game on the night we won the ECWC. I had never heard it until that night. A couple of years later I acquired the 45rpm record of Lex McLean doing 'Every other Setturday' and discovered that the R A N G E R S song was on the b side. Great old song. Another song I heard on a street in Lloret on the following day which was being belted out by a crowd of Bears contained the line, "We won't forget you, Willie Woodburn", but I have never heard it since. Does anyone on here know that song?

Used to be sung on the Gartsherrie Derry bus.

So hold your head up Willie Woodburn
We are not ashamed of you
For you wore those Ibrox colours
And you wore the royal blue.

These are the words I remember though it was over 50 years ago.

Had this on a CD bought years and years ago from the Rangers shop on Rose Street in Edinburgh. It was called Follow Follow the Rangers Anthems or something like that.

These tunes should be getting played at Ibrox as part of the pre-match build up. Get some dancin in the stands.

They come from over Glasgow, they come from near and far
They come from every highland glen from here to Lochnagar
They sail from dear old Belfast to the bonnie banks of Clyde
They gather round at Ibrox Park and sing this song with pride
For it's R A N G E R S, and in case you didn't catch it friend I'll set your mind at rest
For its R A N G E R S, and the boys in blue from Ibrox aye they're Scotland's very best

Lyrics like that would have people asking for you to be banned from this board these days.

People are very tetchy with songs.

Back