Rab Douglas in games against us

Was on the treadmill next to him at the gym last week. Guys absolutely massive, hands like shovels.

Certainly wouldn't tell him he was shite to his face.
I was speaking to him in the anchor in the ferry a few weeks ago and he was a lot bigger than I remembered. Seemed a sound enough chap.

I was watching some old firm highlights today on YouTube, has there ever been a keeper who has produced more howlers in old firm games?

Watched a few games and there must have been at least 6 or 7 goals he was badly at fault for.

TBF Jon McLaughlin nearly beat that record in one game!

I'm kidding before anyone starts!

It's a myth that Andrews was responsible for that 5-1 drubbing. (And a myth propagated by Celtic fans in mitigation of a real 'doing.')

if you look at the goals from that game it's only the third that he was arguably at fault for. They could have had two goalies in that day and we'd still have thrashed them. If Andrews was as bad as they like to make out it would have been double figures.
I was slightly joking, but going back to my original post I said I wish he played more, 1 game 1 howler 5 goals against.

Would have gave Douglas a run for his money, imo of course.

Joe Heart breaks the c****c mould in as much as he's actually a competent goalkeeper. Gordon aside, I'm struggling to remember anyone else for them over the years who's been much cop at all.

Joe Heart breaks the c****c mould in as much as he's actually a competent goalkeeper. Gordon aside, I'm struggling to remember anyone else for them over the years who's been much cop at all.
Foster was a very good goalie for them. Borat for all he made the occassional bloomer was a decent goalie. They had shite keepers for years until more recent years.

At work I had a mate that was into martial arts that lived in Lanark. He told me a long time ago about his mate Rab Douglas that was one of the Motherwell casual scene. As soon as his name appeared as a goalkeeper I could never get it out my head that a few years previously he had been prancing about in a Pringle jumper, jeans and white trainers.

Not when Latchford was playing we didn't.

Anyway, I'd love to know how many games, if any, we beat the filth at the cesspit when Latchford was the goalie.
He might have done ok against us , McCloy was a far superior keeper in every sense . The first season he played we won 2 and drew 2 I’m sure he played in all 4 of them games that season.

I heard a story once that's is probably not true but I choose to believe its true.

He was in a pub having banter back and forth with Rangers fans and getting more annoyed as day went on and was walking back with a tray of drinks and bears singing OOOOOOOOOOOO and he only goes and spills the drink everywhere

And everyone starts chanting there's ONLY ONE RAB DOUGLAS

Big useless cabbage

Only wish Ian Andrews played more for that mob, but Douglas must take some beating.
Barkas will be looked back upon with equally fond memories. A short but hilarious Celt*c career. A goalkeeper who seemed reluctant to use his arms ffs.

He was brutal and worst of all for a keeper had a high tendency to make his worst howlers in the biggest of games.

Always frustrated me that at times we didn’t ever threaten as goal as much as we should have done. Both Vignal and Arteta proved that any innocuous shot from distance could prove a challenge for the big dumpling.

Was on the treadmill next to him at the gym last week. Guys absolutely massive, hands like shovels.

Certainly wouldn't tell him he was shite to his face.
I would...he was an absolute $hitebag! He would come out for crosses with his eyes glued shut, body shielding itself and arms almost covering his face. Bravery was not an attribute of his and, thankfully, neither was shot stopping. Always amazed me why they didn't buy a top keeper as he was their glaring weakness. As the OP said cost countless Old Firm goals and basically cost them v Porto in the UEFA Cup Final. Sad day for us when he left.

Advocaat tried to sign him and he chose them if I recall?

Decent goalie who saved his worst for us. Thankfully!

Boruc?

One or 2, struggling to think of anymore, he had some unbelievable games against us, the big rat.
Dropped one in calamitous style at Millers feet in the 4-2 game and made an arse of big Ugo’s overhead kick and Boyd’s volley trying to be a smart ass and make camera saves.

I heard a story once that's is probably not true but I choose to believe its true.

He was in a pub having banter back and forth with Rangers fans and getting more annoyed as day went on and was walking back with a tray of drinks and bears singing OOOOOOOOOOOO and he only goes and spills the drink everywhere

And everyone starts chanting there's ONLY ONE RAB DOUGLAS

Big useless cabbage
Before a Scotland game in a pub in Rutherglen.

I was watching some old firm highlights today on YouTube, has there ever been a keeper who has produced more howlers in old firm games?

Watched a few games and there must have been at least 6 or 7 goals he was badly at fault for.
He's up there with anton rogan

Barkas will be looked back upon with equally fond memories. A short but hilarious Celt*c career. A goalkeeper who seemed reluctant to use his arms ffs.
Not every signing Rangers made has worked out but I don't recall any as bad as Barkas or Scheidt
Would also have mentioned a few of their superstar loan signings were it not for our dealings last January

Did he not spark out some fan when playing for Brechin?
Two Airdrie fans came on the park and tried to get at him when he played for Forfar.

Said he had a recording of an argument with John Brown which would embarrass Brown when he released it. He never did release it.

Last edited:
Boruc?

One or 2, struggling to think of anymore, he had some unbelievable games against us, the big rat.

Boyd at Ibrox went through him.
Adam free kick he was visibly roaring at the wall to jump so Adam rolled it underneath.
Fumbled a Broadfoot cross at the piggery for Miller to tap in.
Miller goal in 2-1 win at Ibrox, he left 70% of the goal to aim at.
Could conceivably blame him for Cousin’s goal, beaten in the only place he could be.

Bonner and Boruc were polar opposites: one a poor goalie but decent human being, the other a decent goalie but an absolute c**t.

Andrews was always my favourite comedy keeper at the club with no shame. He was awful.

It's a myth that Andrews was responsible for that 5-1 drubbing. (And a myth propagated by Celtic fans in mitigation of a real 'doing.')

if you look at the goals from that game it's only the third that he was arguably at fault for. They could have had two goalies in that day and we'd still have thrashed them. If Andrews was as bad as they like to make out it would have been double figures.
Correct. It was only Drinkell's back header he made an arse of. We beat them 4-1 going on 10 with Bonner in goal later the same season.

Boruc sold some amount of goals against us.

Prso and Novo in the 3-1 game
Ehiogu's winner
Boyd at Ibrox
Miller at Parkhead
Miller at Ibrox in the 2-1 game

Boruc sold some amount of goals against us.

Prso and Novo in the 3-1 game
Ehiogu's winner
Boyd at Ibrox
Miller at Parkhead
Miller at Ibrox in the 2-1 game

He did but because he tried to wind us up the tims gave him a pass.

I can genuinely remember a lot of them saying that Boruc was the best keeper in the world at one point.

He was ok nothing special

Heard he was sashing it up in a kinning park pub before he signed for that lot, i'm sure someone will reply it's true or rubbish.

Back in the day he was really good in Championship Manager.

Not so good in Championship matches.

First time I saw him was in the very first game at Almondvale.

Livingston - East Stirling

He only played because the first 2 keepers (Horace Stoute and Ian McCaldon) were injured.

He did really well there - and was no real surprise when he got the chance to move up to Dundee.

His move to Celtic was maybe a step too far for his ability though....

Back