Rab Douglas turned down Rangers due to Stefan Klos

uneasydaz

RAB DOUGLAS has revealed he turned down Rangers for Celtic – because he refused to play second fiddle to Stefan Klos.

Douglas was wanted by both sides of the Old Firm after starring for Dundee.

Gers made the first move after identifying the goalkeeper as a short-term replacement for crocked No1 Stefan Klos.

But Douglas bravely resisted the lure of a bumper pay rise at Ibrox before Celticeventually swooped.

He told Open Goal: “I never spoke to Rangers directly. They got in touch with Peter Marr (then Dundee owner).

“It was £850,000, I think, for me. Klos would be injured for six games, so I was told I would play for six games and then I’d be back on the bench.

Hodgy (Alan Hodgkinson) was obviously the national coach who I had conversations with being in some of the squads, like the Bs and that. He was keen to work with me.

But I think for me, my principle was I just wanted to play. I’d been used to playing with Livingston and Dundee and Blair (his agent) went back to David Murray.

“I was a Motherwell fan so it didn’t bother me either way. Celtic then got in touch, I think it was £1.2 or £1.3million.

I met Martin O’Neill and John Robertson, I never met anyone from Rangers, we were moving ashtrays about for formations and stuff like that.

“You know how enthusiastic Martin O’Neill is and you weren’t guaranteed anything there. He said, ‘It’s a fight between you and Gouldy, I want you to come’.

I said to Blair, ‘I’d like to go to Celtic’ and Blair said ‘Robert I’ll double my money if you go to Rangers, but I’d advise you to go to Celtic.’

Klos was sensational. I just wanted to play, it didn’t matter to me.

“I didn’t think Gouldy was rubbish. Gouldy came up as an unknown and did very well for himself at Celtic. I keep in touch with him, great guy, great goalkeeper and great memories.”

Douglas made over 100 appearances for the Bhoys, winning six trophies and playing in the UEFA Cup Final.

£1.2 or £1.3m for Rab feckin Douglas?!?

This article has pinpointed a very important milestone in world football. It was the exact moment that the game went bat shit mental due to money.

If only they made more of a deal of it at the time....this could've been their MoJo moment:))

I’m sure we are all gutted about that.

giphy.gif

Not really much of a story, a player saw little chance of playing at one club and decided to join one where he had more opportunity, it worked out for both parties as we didn’t need him and he played a lot.

Oh ffs can we not redact "The Bhoys" at least that insidious phrase has no place on this forum.

Thank %^*& we didn't sign him. That nose has no place at Ibrox

Shows how mental our spending was in the early 00’s.

Imagine spending close to a million on Rab Douglas for the sake of 6 games.

We were successful but perhaps the signs were there that Murray was pushing us into oblivion through sheer recklessness.

“we were moving ashtrays about for formations and stuff like that.”

What was Rab? The ketchup bottle shaped like a tomato?

We were successful but perhaps the signs were there that Murray was pushing us into oblivion through sheer recklessness.

We did worse by spending £1.7m on jesper Christiansen who played even less games and had barely played 16 games before we signed him.

He was definitely more use to us at the tims than he would ever have been at Ibrox

In terms of old firm games, he genuinely must be one of the worst Celtic keepers ever, the amount of goals he gifted us was extraordinary.

My mates mother and father in-law were both dhims and they were at Easter Road years ago, they were sat next to Douglas who was injured and in with the mhanks, a mhank in front of them said to him, nae offence big man but you’re one of the worst goalies Sellick have ever had:D

What the %^*& is brave about turning down a role as a temporary replacement?

Its maybe sensible but it hardly requires bravery - does anyone proof read this shit?

Said it multiple times I’m just glad he got held back when I seen him out one night and sung “Nuno Capucho won a medal in Seville” he’d of planted me on the pavement.

The big man was raging.

Pleasing though.

Signed Marcus Gayle for a £1 million the same season. Made 4 appearances then punted again. Crazy.

In terms of old firm games, he genuinely must be one of the worst Celtic keepers ever, the amount of goals he gifted us was extraordinary.

My mates mother and father in-law were both dhims and they were at Easter Road years ago, they were sat next to Douglas who was injured and in with the mhanks, a mhank in front of them said to him, nae offence big man but you’re one of the worst goalies Sellick have ever had:D
Allen McKnightmare was far worse

Righty ho, we have Douglas in goal and Broadfoot at right back in the shitest team of players to play in a uefa cup final.

Back