Rabbi Matondo

He reminds me a lot of Kent when he had him on loan. You can see the talent a mile away, it's just very unrefined. Give Gio and his coaching team 6-12 months with him, (same with Tillman and Yilmaz, even Lawrence and Colak) and he will make massive improvements.

Not overly impressed thus far.

Is he really much better than Candeas and Sakala? ( not that they are/were great either)

Of all the signings to date, he's the one that's not quite cutting it.

Too bad if that goes against the grain here on FF.

For me, it lies somewhere in the middle of the two apparent and prevailing opinions on Matondo so far.

Firstly, I don't see him being a Kent of the right hand side. He's much more comfortable on his right hand side, and doesn't look overly strong on his left, so I don't see him giving much in the way of coming inside, like Kent does from the left. As we saw yesterday, his best performance thus far is when he's played in Kent's position.

That being said, there's undoubted talent there - quick, decent touch, eye for a goal. Alot to work with.

Still think come September we'll rue not strengthening that RWF slot.

Typical response of those who are clearly wrong but refuse to admit it.

“Aye, he scores goals, but doesn’t do much else”

“ He might have kept a clean sheet, but he didn’t come for that corner in 73rd minute”

“ Two assists and hit the crossbar - meh, looks like he’s in the wrong movie”

Often these gems of wisdom are then completed with such shite as -

“hope he proves me wrong” or “only my opinion” which are equally vacuous and designed to shut down anyone disagreeing.
They don’t want them to do well so they can say “told you so”.

Weirdos

Was moaning like %^*& about him yesterday,then the usual happened 2 assists

He came onto a game in the last half hour today, but if truth be told he was poor up until then and almost gifted them a goal. Last half hour form is what's required more often.
Yeah and unfortunately that’s coming onto a game when we are already ahead. You want your front three on it from early on.

Yes Scott Wright just runs that out of play whereas Matondo has the quality and composure to get his head up and find Arfield with the pass
It's balance in a way though Wright does a lot of graft defensively that allows tav forward.

Barasic for example wasnt going by matondo like he ge does with Kent he was crossing from deeper as matando doesn't automatically go back like Kent does.

In saying that matando was coming back when barasic shouted him to help defend where as on right with tav they got in each others way a lot....... it will take time

I know it's only one game he's played on the left and I'm not one for playing players out of position but Kent on the right with Matondo on the left could be an option

This lad is pure class one of the best signings we have made in a long time by the time the Season is over clubs will be lining up to take him off our hands

I know it's only one game he's played on the left and I'm not one for playing players out of position but Kent on the right with Matondo on the left could be an option
He played the first half in the first leg on the left against USG didn't work to well was put back on the right
IMO he's wasted on the left

Setting up 2 goals out of the 4 we scored not enough no? I think you might be a silly person.
Not a silly person,just a fan who wants the best from his team and players.If you are happy with his performance then that’s fine but I’m looking for players in the team to push themselves to their maximum potential.

He played the first half in the first leg on the left against USG didn't work to well was put back on the right
IMO he's wasted on the left
100% this.

I like his attitude and pace is always an asset. He’s a work in progress and I think he’ll improve but not on the left hand side.

He played on the right in the first leg against union iirc .
He wasn't wasted on the left yesterday
He definitely did start on the the left he will play on the left & give it his best but compered to what he offers on the right no comparison

He definitely did start on the the left he will play on the left & give it his best but compered to what he offers on the right no comparison
He played the whole game against union on the right in fact very very ineffective. But he played well on the left 2nd half yesterday . Don't know how you come to your conclusion

I recall it fine. He played against Spurs, missed Livi then was back for Union away. So it couldn't have been a torn hamstring as you said, as these usually result in more than 4 days out injured.
4 days out injured. Mathematics might not be a strong point for you as there’s longer than 4 days between the 23rd of July and the 2nd of August?

Also you have to consider the fact that there’s different grades of muscular injury. Meaning players can be out for days to weeks for grade 1 and 2 up to multiple months for grade 3.

A hamstring is an injury where you can be physically healed but naturally cautious of if going and takes a little while longer to forget it at times. It looked like that was the case in the 1st leg vs Union.

Not really clear why you’re trying to focus on an injury rather than the fact the joy has recovered and played a blinder and looks like a great addition though. Not a mindset I’d personally have.

Last edited:
4 days out injured. Mathematics might not be a strong point for you as there’s longer than 4 days between the 23rd of July and the 2nd of August.

There’s different grades of muscular injury mate, players can be out for a week to 2 for grade 1 tears up to multiple months for grade 3.

A hamstring is an injury where you can be physically healed but naturally cautious of if going and takes a little while longer to forget it at times. It looked like that was the case in the 1st leg vs Union.

4 days out injured. Mathematics might not be a strong point for you as there’s longer than 4 days between the 23rd of July and the 2nd of August?

Also you have to consider the fact that there’s different grades of muscular injury. Meaning players can be out for days to weeks for grade 1 and 2 up to multiple months for grade 3.

Not really clear why you’re trying to focus on an injury rather than the fact the joy has recovered and played a blinder and looks like a great addition though. Not a mindset I’d personally have.
I'm sure the news came through 3 or 4 days after it was announced he was injured that he was actually fine and was training again?

And unless my English is as bad as my maths, that reads like a grade 1 hamstring injury is a pull or a strain, which you can recover from in a few days, whereas the tear is a grade 2 or 3 and can take weeks or months.

So back to my original point, there is no way he had a torn hamstring and was back training a few days later and playing 12 days later.

A minor muscle pull or strain (grade 1) may take a few days to heal, whereas it could take weeks or months to recover from a muscle tear (grade 2 or 3).

I'm sure the news came through 3 or 4 days after it was announced he was injured that he was actually fine and was training again?

And unless my English is as bad as my maths, that reads like a grade 1 hamstring injury is a pull or a strain, which you can recover from in a few days, whereas the tear is a grade 2 or 3 and can take weeks or months.

So back to my original point, there is no way he had a torn hamstring and was back training a few days later and playing 12 days later.

A minor muscle pull or strain (grade 1) may take a few days to heal, whereas it could take weeks or months to recover from a muscle tear (grade 2 or 3).
So you have inside knowledge that he was in full training after a few days do you? If he was in full training 3-4 days after, he’d have been available for Livingston.

What’s your source? What’s the timeline then? When did he get injured and when was he in full training again?

Are you aware that you can train at different levels based on your injury status? Crikey.

He pulled up against Spurs and wasn’t fit enough to play against Livingston, so that alone is more than 3 days that you’re seeming to be making up. That’s a minimum of 7 days, if of course you have a source confirming he was 100% healed the day after Livingston, which of course you don’t.

Not sure why you’re trying so hard to discard a young player who’s just had a good game? It’s a very weird flex.

Last edited:
So you have inside knowledge that he was in full training after a few days do you? If he was in full training 3-4 days after, he’d have been available for Livingston.

What’s your source? What’s the timeline then? When did he get injured and when was he in full training again?

Are you aware that you can train at different levels based on your injury status? Crikey, suppose they do say never argue with an idiot.

He pulled up against Spurs and wasn’t fit enough to play against Livingston, so that alone is more than 3 days that you’re seeming to be making up. That’s a minimum of 7 days, if of course you have a source confirming he was 100% healed the day after Livingston, which of course you don’t.

Not sure why you’re trying so hard to discard a young player who’s just had a good game? It’s a very weird flex.
I'm not disregarding anyone. He seems a great prospect and I'm sure will go from strength to strength and be a first team regular.

I just can't see how he recovered from a hamstring tear in such a short space of time?

He reminds me a lot of Kent when he had him on loan. You can see the talent a mile away, it's just very unrefined. Give Gio and his coaching team 6-12 months with him, (same with Tillman and Yilmaz, even Lawrence and Colak) and he will make massive improvements.

He’s 21yo, so he has loads of time on his side to develop further.

He looked much better in the second half yesterday and perhaps suits better on the left when Barasic is playings because Borna doesn’t overlap as much as Tav does.

He looked much better in the second half yesterday and perhaps suits better on the left when Barasic is playings because Borna doesn’t overlap as much as Tav does.

The surprising thing for me was they actually tried to play further up the park in the second half, and it played into our hands, obviously Matondo’s too.

I thought they’d attempt damage limitation even at 1.0.

Back