Racing moved to Sunday for HRH Prince Philip's funeral.

I don't think they should move it. Greatest of respect to the Duke but life goes on.

My guess is Premier Sports want it later on the Saturday, or even the Friday night but the authorities are pushing for it on the Sunday
Later on the Saturday would be perfect imo. Everyone can pay their respects on the Saturday and then we can get back to business regardless of anyone's feelings regarding the situation

I remember years ago we laid my uncle to rest on a Saturday morning and in the afternoon Rangers beat Celtic 2-0 at parkhead, pretty sure it was Gazza and Alex Cleland who scored, justvthe way he would have wanted it

I'm trying to figure out who to believe as Rangers fans on this forum(I know your username and dont doubt you as a fellow bear 1 bit) but some of the terminology used on this forum would make me think it was some anti Royal Nationalist forum I was on

You'd do well firstly by separating a football match from what will of course be a significant national occasion.

My terminology by saying 'disaster' is purely on a personal level. A bit of a dramatic term yes, but it would mean I would miss the game. As an absolute fanatical Rangers supporter, to miss this game for me WOULD be a disaster.

Later on the Saturday would be perfect imo. Everyone can pay their respects on the Saturday and then we can get back to business regardless of anyone's feelings regarding the situation

I remember years ago we laid my uncle to rest on a Saturday morning and in the afternoon Rangers beat Celtic 2-0 at parkhead, pretty sure it was Gazza and Alex Cleland who scored, justvthe way he would have wanted it
I think 99% of people would be happy with this.

People wanting the game played during it are out of order but so are the ones who dont think it should be on the Saturday at all.

Again mate i challenge you to explain why I'm wrong rather than just stating I am. Do you have an actual reason? Will you be spending the day in mourning? As mentioned I support the monarchy and I understand the importance but until you can explain to me why I have to live faux grief for someone I never met then I fail to follow your line of thought

No one is asking that you mourn or display grief. It’s an acknowledgment of a highly significant piece of British tradition, culture and society.

You claim to support/understand the monarchy yet have difficulty with pausing for the passing of a significant member. Combined with the rather childish “I never met him....”

No one is asking that you mourn or display grief. It’s an acknowledgment of a highly significant piece of British tradition, culture and society.

You claim to support/understand the monarchy yet have difficulty with pausing for the passing of a significant member. Combined with the rather childish “I never met him....”
Protestantism liberated us from regimes operating like North Korea and the vatican, whereby political or 'religious' figureheads are treated like demi gods. The queens husbands death shouldnt warrant any difference in public behaviour than the death of my grandfather who fought in the same war. No games were moved for him. Different if it's the queen however

Why not leave it at 4pm then? I assume actual funeral procession will be finished by then
If the funeral is due to finish at 4 and our game kick off at 4 then its probably going to overlap so would say that's too close.

4.30 or 5 would be acceptable IMO

Protestantism liberated us from regimes operating like North Korea and the vatican, whereby political or 'religious' figureheads are treated like demi gods. The queens husbands death shouldnt warrant any difference in public behaviour than the death of my grandfather who fought in the same war. No games were moved for him. Different if it's the queen however

No one is stopping you from doing what you want. You are free to do whatever you wish during that time.

The Govt. have even said it’s at the organiser’s discretion. These private businesses have decided to reschedule.

You’re introducing North Korea into a discussion about the kick-off of a football match being rearranged.

Protestantism also has it’s traditions and protocols.

No one is stopping you from doing what you want. You are free to do whatever you wish during that time.

The Govt. have even said it’s at the organiser’s discretion. These private businesses have decided to reschedule.

You’re introducing North Korea into a discussion about the kick-off of a football match being rearranged.

Again you're not able to explain to me the reason other than protocol, maybe your not so sure yourself. The facts are most people wont be emotionally affected by his funeral on Saturday and its uncomfortable for you to acknowledge this

If the game somehow does end up on at the same time then I am sure everyone is grown up enough to be able to make a decision as to which one they would rather watch.

It’s been referred to several times - part of British tradition, culture and society to recognise these moments.

You don’t have to.
Again the heart of protestantism is to challenge, if we just accepted 'tradition' we'd still be paying monks for hail Mary's

Again you're not able to explain to me the reason other than protocol, maybe your not so sure yourself

For me, it's not about protocols or 'an outpouring of faux grief'. You don't need to be grieving to show respect. Football has been afforded the opportunity to show that in any way it sees fit, just like every other person and company in the UK. Just because other places of work decide to carry on as normal (as has been stated on this thread) is completely irrelevant to this.

No one is wanting anything cancelled, simply looking for us (football) to pause for a few hours, whilst an incredible servant to the Country is remembered and to allow all of us to take part, if we wish. Holding it at exactly the same time, will be an easy choice for some people but an impossible one for others, it's sensible, respectful and absolutely the correct thing to do.

If you think that shouldn't be the case, no one is forcing you to take part and by all means get your letter into the SFA greeting about it, instead of trolling fellow Bears about a subject that is clearly quite an important/emotive one to them.

For me, it's not about protocols or 'an outpouring of faux grief'. You don't need to be grieving to show respect. Football has been afforded the opportunity to show that in any way it sees fit, just like every other person and company in the UK. Just because other places of work decide to carry on as normal (as has been stated on this thread) is completely irrelevant to this.

No one is wanting anything cancelled, simply looking for us (football) to pause for a few hours, whilst an incredible servant to the Country is remembered and to allow all of us to take part, if we wish. Holding it at exactly the same time, will be an easy choice for some people but an impossible one for others, it's sensible, respectful and absolutely the correct thing to do.

If you think that shouldn't be the case, no one is forcing you to take part and by all means get your letter into the SFA greeting about it, instead of trolling fellow Bears about a subject that is clearly quite an important one to them.
Not about trolling mate I'm just asking for someone to explain to me in real terms rather than just say its disrespectful. I want to understand if people actually feel genuinely upset, because as a royalist, I feel empathy but genuinely dont feel uncomfortable with us playing the scum

Not about trolling mate I'm just asking for someone to explain to me in real terms rather than just say its disrespectful. I want to understand if people actually feel genuinely upset, because as a royalist, I feel empathy but genuinely dont feel uncomfortable with us playing the scum

It is. You are saying things like 'why do I need to live in faux grief' (made up pish, no one has asked you to) or (will you be spending the day mourning' (again not being asked for by anyone, you are exaggerating in the extreme) and that's before we get to the moronic 'I've never met him' (honestly, where to even start with that, are you 12?) All of this hyperbolic crap is designed to get a reaction. That's trolling.

I'll repeat. We are talking about games being moved for a few hours here and no one is being forced to do anything other than get on with their lives, as they see fit, you included.

The police won't agree to that for fear of booze fuelled aggression from fans
I see the argument you make but I think the difference between 7pm and 4pm on a Saturday is minimal.. if anything, 4pm opens up greater risk of disturbances as folk are bouncing around for an additional 3hrs after the game than the later kick off creates.

if moved celtic will want it after the covid 5 appeal

Highly unlikely, given that there are league games next midweek and the next round of the cup is the following weekend.

They really need to find another slot for it at the weekend if it is to be moved, there’s very little wiggle room in the calendar and I doubt the SPFL would be chuffed at the suggestion of moving more league games around to suit the Scottish Cup.

Genuinely sad to see some of the reactions on this thread.

I agree.

Our club has a portrait of Her Majesty The Queen in our home dressing room for a reason.

Yet some folk would have us ignoring the funeral and internment of her consort during a formal period of national morning.

Surely it is clear that this is contrary to our team’s heritage and ethos?

Last edited:
5pm on Sat would be my pick.

That way people can watch the funeral or if they chose have a longer sash bash.

Strange thoughts!

Are u for real

Baffles me at how it actually takes for these things to be sorted. Horse racing had it all set and sorted in less than a day yet were still none the wiser.

Genuinely saddens and angers me when you see the disdain some of our support hold towards the royals, add to that the increasing amount of so called rangers fans on twitter who seem to support the snp and you wonder how it got to this. Sad times

Back