Racism in Football (BBC Scotland trying to drag us into it)

The Scottish media are racist.

Look at how they treated Berti Vogts.

And today the treatment Alfredo Morelos has to put up with.

do you think there is racism at Ibrox? Actual, genuine racism?
There’s sectarianism which comes under the same discrimination umbrella as far as the sport goes. As I’ve said, the harm done to the Rangers brand is exactly the same. Sponsors will want nothing to do with it so it’s only going to harm our growth. There’s also the real possibility that we’ll play behind closed doors or be expelled from Europe.

Sectarianism is obviously not the same as racism.

We've already seen an attempt to link 'sectarianism' with 'anti-Irish racism'. The only reason the word racist is used is because it is extremely toxic to any brand or institution - far more so than 'sectarian'.

The conscious linking of religion and ethnicity is itself racist.

It is also meaningless in a context where - as Tom Devine points out - 50% of Scottish RCs marry outside their faith and this figure was as high as 1 in 3 at the turn of the 20th century.

Maybe we should all just sing songs in support of terrorism, indiscriminate bombings, shootings of policemen, killing over 600 civilians, women and children. Ach, those pesky freedom fighters, just a bit of banter.

But show a bit of loyalty to the country and heritage you love you are now being stamped as a reject, o_O

unfortunately the media need to be kept under control with their constant lies.
ok then how do we do that? seems to me to be a much more challenging task than keeping on top of some of the support around you. and the latter is much easier if you have the majority on board.

The harsh reality is that, rightly or wrongly, we get mentioned in the same breath as these knuckledraggers if the FTP stuff comes back. That's the uncomfortable truth. It's an open goal for our detractors.

I agree- in the climate created we need to watch what is said. In a free democratic society you should be able say FTP especially the context in which as the head of the Catholic church various Popes have presided over mass(no pun intended) cover ups of sexual abuse. A scandal bigger than racist chanting not that you'll find media or heads of government asking for investigations and resignations.

ok then how do we do that? seems to me to be a much more challenging task than keeping on top of some of the support around you. and the latter is much easier if you have the majority on board.

I would suggest doing both. The media should be called out for their blatant lies. That’s quite simple.

The fact is both racism and sectarianism should not be tolerated in any walk of life, never mind football. And they both carry the same punishment in UEFA's rule book (quite rightly).

However, we are not racist and the lines are being blurred by the media. Racism and sectarianism are two separate things, by definition.

The conversation in the past couple of days have been about racism and we should not have had our name dragged into it.

L
I would tend to agree with you but when the media are accusing Rangers fans of racism when there is no case of racism, yet other clubs and high profile figures have been guilty of racism and it is not mentioned, then it’s pretty obvious that Rangers fans are going to be a bit pissed off.

Ever since the Legia Warsaw home game we DO have our house in order. Prior to that I’d accept the criticism but not now.

If the BBC really wants to talk about racism in Scotland then why don't the start with the worst example of it in the last 12 months - a young black player playing for Rangers FC being told his mother is a mattress via a large banner in Aberdeen. The fact the thing was in Spanish singled him out and did so in a sly way, ensuring most other people didn't understand it. It was disgraceful and widely ignored in comparison to a song sung in Gibraltar.

If the BBC really wants to talk about racism in Scotland then why don't the start with the worst example of it in the last 12 months - a young black player playing for Rangers FC being told his mother is a mattress via a large banner in Aberdeen. The fact the thing was in Spanish singled him out and did so in a sly way, ensuring most other people didn't understand it. It was disgraceful and widely ignored in comparison to a song sung in Gibraltar.
Apparently just banter. Really funny eh? Nakamura’s dog joke though.....pure racism... :rolleyes:

At the end of the day Rangers is a football club. We are getting back to where we should be and people are funding it. We need to be self sufficient and to do that we need to maximise sponsorship income. There isn’t a brand in the world who wants associated with racism and discrimination. As long as people keep loading the gun people will gladly shoot us with it because harming our brand and putting off the biggest sponsors helps our enemies.

That’s it, this should be simple and obvious to everyone who supports Rangers to make sure we don’t give our enemies what they want...clear and indefensible stuff they will gleefully use to hurt and blacken us with continually...it beggars belief that the penny still hasn’t dropped with SOME in our support that any discriminatory and offensive stuff is not going to be tolerated anymore and when you have a filthy rat infested country full of people hellbent on attacking and destroying our club why would you give them the ammunition that is going to do untold damage to our club and support? If we don’t wise up and stop the bullshit now these filthy scummy b@stards across the city with their many friends in various places are going to make sure we get nailed good and proper.

We know there is great concern amongst our support that the club appears to be distancing itself from it’s Protestant roots and heritage but that’s not strictly true because these things are at the core of Rangers and those running the club but in the modern world if you are the big Uber Prod and you’re way of expressing your Protestant identity is in a negative and crass way the message is CLEAR...the club doesn’t want you and doesn’t want the aggravation and consequences of people who won’t represent us in a positive fashion.

Ok fs , Humza is on - that will be it fixed.

1st point - he’s a victim too
2nd point - it’s worse now that post -911
3rd point - it’s Trump’s fault
4th point - it’s Boris’s fault
5th point - he’s a victim too
6th point - he’s actively working with football clubs and want’s to introduce the 3 step protocol for sectarianism in Scotland....
Can we have the first step of the protocol , that MSPs don’t go on social media and bait rival fans ? I hate that fuckwit .

Rangers just mentioned there by some spokesperson from SRTRC.

Talking about Lazio getting parts of their ground closed for racist chanting (and Rangers too) he said...

Rangers should have challenged the racist part of our songs immediately.

Fucking sick of the politics in football.

Rangers just mentioned there by some spokesperson from SRTRC.

Talking about Lazio getting parts of their ground closed for racist chanting (and Rangers too) he said...

Rangers should have challenged the racist part of our songs immediately.

Fucking sick of the politics in football.

We got mentioned just before that as well. Two mentions in a news report about Celtic fans going to Rome.

Not if your Muslim you don’t
If you are
Sadly though religion is a choice , it's your parents choice in nearly every instance. Only a village idiot would criticize race but religion should be open to ridicule and theists should be big enough to defend their indoctrinated beliefs.
Race refers to a person's physical characteristics, such as bone structure, skin, hair, or eye color and are and are dependent on a person's genes. Ethnicity, on the other hand, refers to cultural factors such as nationality, regional culture, ancestry, and language. I do agree that race has in recent times been used more loosely.

The fact is both racism and sectarianism should not be tolerated in any walk of life, never mind football. And they both carry the same punishment in UEFA's rule book (quite rightly).

However, we are not racist and the lines are being blurred by the media. Racism and sectarianism are two separate things, by definition.

The conversation in the past couple of days have been about racism and we should not have had our name dragged into it.
All the while the Scottish MSM continually bleat about the missing twice convicted racist being the saviour of Scottish football, bigots the lot of them

Anyone who thought we wouldn't be dragged into this is living in cloud cuckoo land. We were charged by UEFA for racist behaviour for singing songs but it still goes down officially as racist. That was the point most people were making at the time because they could see the implications further down the line like now when the shit has finally hit the fan Internationally.

Some idiots on here were more concerned with changing words or telling the club to ram it.

The scenarios you have provided are not comparable to our support.

Our support are supposed to be loyal even down to the minority support. Anything a minority do in our support has an impact on our club, it has an impact on you and I as Rangers supporters, it hinders our success.

You're scenarios don't have that impact.
I agree with you. I just don't feel they should.
How do Rangers manage to avoid morons when no other club or any event can?

Back