Racist Kudela given 10 game ban, Kamara 3 games (all discussion here)

RANGERS notes the UEFA disciplinary decision relating to our fixture v Slavia Prague at Ibrox on 18th March.

We welcome the suspension imposed on Ondrej Kudela. This not only vindicates Glen Kamara’s evidence but underlines the severity of the comment, given the number of games has been imposed by UEFA.

Nevertheless, we believe the sanctions imposed on our two players (Glen Kamara and Kemar Roofe) are severe. We have written to UEFA, seeking clarification in writing on the basis that we intend to appeal the suspensions on both of players.

We will make no further comment on this matter.

Edited based on confirmation on posts while I was typing, that the wording of the statement has been changed

RANGERS notes the UEFA disciplinary decision relating to our fixture v Slavia Prague at Ibrox on 18th March.

We welcome the suspension imposed on Ondrej Kudela. This not only vindicates Glen Kamara’s evidence but underlines the severity of the comment, given the number of games has been imposed by UEFA.

Nevertheless, we believe the sanctions imposed on our two players (Glen Kamara and Kemar Roofe) are severe. We have written to UEFA, seeking clarification in writing on the basis that we intend to appeal the suspensions on both of players.

I'm confused. Is this the revised statement ? Nothing above mentions minimum or maximum.
Yes, they've removed 1 word ("maximum") which now means the sentence doesn't really make sense.

Three Match ban, I can see where they are coming from but the circumstances would have been better if they were suspended , be curious to see if we appeal, I would want the club to. Did anyone see the actual report of what occurred in the tunnel?
Does that mean Glen misses the Euros now , that's a harsh punishment if he does , surely the 3 game ban should start after the Euros as Finland are getting punished severely for doing absolutely nothing this weakens them hugely, pathetic from UEFA.

Perhaps if you had dug out the UEFA rules you would have got your facts right ;)

10 games is not, as you state, the maximum suspension UEFA could apply.

Their rules state that any person guilty of racist abuse "incurs a suspension lasting at least 10 matches or a specified time or any other appropriate sanction".

10 games is, therefore, the minimum not the maximum suspension.
Technically it's not. 'or any other appropriate sanction' means it could be less.

That is the probably the lightest ban they could serve on him for racism. it should have been 20 games minimum.

Its a sore one that Kamara received a ban but that was always going to be the case - as the principles of most law based systems are that you can’t administer justice yourself - no matter the provocation. The only time you get away with that is self-defence, or protecting others in the heat of a struggle. That can’t be applied here no matter the disgusting comments that were made. However it is a mitigating factor - and obviously that has been taken into consideration when looking at it as individual incidents. There is obviously evidence that Kamara gave him a much deserved punch - and 3 games for that is probably a good result. However the Kudela ban is very light

Edited based on confirmation on posts while I was typing, that the wording of the statement has been changed

Yes.

I'm guessing the original said "given the maximum number of games has been imposed".

The error has been corrected, let's all calm down.
Not really they've put a plaster on the original fùck up to now make it look like we are happy the minimum punishment was handed out for racism.

We have made a mess of it. It happens.

Does that mean Glen misses the Euros now , that's a harsh punishment if he does , surely the 3 game ban should start after the Euros as Finland are getting punished severely for doing absolutely nothing this weakens them hugely, pathetic from UEFA.
No, mate.

So if Slavia were to reach the final of the Europa league and Czechs qualify out the group at the euros (and perhaps progress further) this cnut might miss no games for Slavia next season, whilst Kamara, the victim of the racist, will miss three qualifying legs for us. Justice my arse!

Kudelas International career is now over. At 34 he will miss his last big tournament and potentially EL semi/final. Realistically he will miss some very big games, so far so good. He'll also be tagged as a racist for the rest of his career. However UEFA have missed the boat here. They obviously believe he's guilty so why not a lifetime or at least a year's ban? Do they not think its serious enough. Officials have rightly been banned longer for bribery,corruption etc so is racism less of a crime?
What's the punishment for the club who employ the racist? Our stand was closed because of the behaviour of fans. Should Slavia not have been punished for their players behaviour?
Also, they're at it.... Hold a workshop for racism?
Also, our fine... Exactly what are we being punished for?
UEFA missed the chance to do something positive. The ban should have been longer but they should have ensured the player, his club and that clubs fans have a programme of education and development to understand fully why racism is wrong.

I never really understood the complexity of the issue until I listened to the H&H podcast with Tess explain his view. Changed my outlook. More awareness and training is needed. Not just in football. UEFA could have taken a lead here instead they did the bare minimum. Punish the victim and the criminal.

Embarrassing that someone at Rangers couldn't get he minimum-maximum punishment correct initially before issuing a statement. Bring back Campbell Ogilvie as General Secretary he wouldn't have got this wrong!

Pretty piss poor. After everything that’s happened we should have known the potential outcomes but the correction of the statement is even more amateurish.

He’s been given the minimum according to Anwar. Looking for UEFA to appeal their own decision.

He originally tweeted it was the maximum...looks like he’s changed it To minimum. For the money he’s probably earning that is a serious blunder.
New lawyer !

I'm pretty sure most of us are a bit raging this crank only got 10 games, particularly when you know that's the minimum punishment he's received.

The fact the club have came out and said they're happy with the punishment in their statement is disappointing for me, whether they believed it was the maximum or not. The fact they didn't KNOW what the minimum punishment was in the first place is also poor.

Makes it worse that the club can't now exactly backtrack on the first statement and say 'no wait - 10 games isn't enough!'.

The issue with Kamara is that it was premeditated. I do wonder if he’d smashed him on the pitch immediately after the abuse if he’d have got the same ban.

either way, well done Glen.

Just read it. Jesus Christ it still says we are happy that he has been given the minimum punishment for racism. This is a fùcking farce!
How can we be happy that he was given the minimum for what he did, the hurt he caused, the humiliation of one of our players upon the turf of Ibrox? Shocking!

Seriously mate give it up. You want a Snapchat vid of him lamping him or something?
Your opinion mate.
Which you are quite entitled to.

But ...would you want this on your record?

My opinion is...I sincerely hope Rangers don't take your wonderful advice, and 'give it up!'

Unless you actually have been racially abused, and I doubt it...and I haven't either then you can't possibly know what it feels like.

So to 'give it up' whether it's me or others..or the club...as you say, I don't think that will happen.
This has much more to go!

We will make no further comment on this matter...

... but we’ll edit the statement multiple times so that it makes sense as we don’t proof read or sense check statements before publishing them.

Amateurish, particularly when you consider the serious subject matter and the anticipated exposure our statement will receive.

So what's going to happen now?

All the backlash, all the justified anger at UEFA bottling this and trying to get away with the most empty-handed, lacklustre punishment available to them.

Where have we positioned ourselves?

Right behind them, backing them up, cause we were incapable of doing the most basic research regarding their publicly available guidelines.

Honestly a farce from us.

The sheer scale of the "Rangers and their fans must be hammered for everything" agenda is really quite frightening.

Some people have poisoned minds and it causes them to lose perspective.

UEFA probably have to apply the rules but anyone who actively wants Kamara to get a ban or, even worse, an increased ban obviously doesn't understand the severity of racism and should be ashamed of themselves.

I wonder if, initially, Rangers took Kamara’s Lawyers word that it was the maximum ban - or if Kamara’s Lawyer took Rangers word that it was the maximum ban?

Both have since now either clarified it’s minimum or left any reference to minimum/maximum out.

I’m also still confused by Kamara’s Lawyer’s assertion that Glen’s ban was reduced from 5 games to 3 on Appeal - yet Rangers say they are going to Appeal both Kamara and Roofe’s bans?

They didn't. They captured Kudela covering his mouth and saying something. There was no conclusive proof. There was a corroborating version of events from Zungu. That's evidence, not proof. If it was clearly picked up on camera or audio (or by an official) he would have been banned for longer IMO
What about the statement from their GK after.
The 'monkey' comment.
Was this ever brought into the arena?

Slavia should face sanctions as well they have been a disgrace throughout this and caused more trouble as have our own disgusting Rangers hating media.
Their latest statement, which admits guilt, culpability, and lies...they should be kicked out the UEFA competition.
This season and the next two. At least?!!

Last edited:
Back