Radio 5 just now Archie McPherson on about Bobby Brown

One of the all time great commentators of the beautiful game. Up there with Kenneth Wolstenholme, Arthur Montford, David Coleman and The greatest of them all Brian Moore.

Always liked big Archie. His commentary was always exciting ("Woooft!"). Yes, he was in thrall of Stein, no doubt, but deep down I suspect he's a Rangers man. He certainly stuck up for us when we were being kicked from pillar to post after we were sent down the leagues. His autobiography (Action Replays) was a good read.

His commentary on the Parma game was class. Really is night and day comparing his work on a game like that to the absolute fannies who call themselves commentators these days.

He didn't commentate much after calling our centre forward Darkyville

:eek:

His sons went to school with me Grimsdale, one in my brothers class.
Am no asking you what school you went to. I remember going for a job as a taxi driver when I was between jobs...woman asked me what school I went to and I replied the Ross High school...she said no...what primary school. I was 50 years old. Baled oot there and then.

His comments after our UEFA Cup Final and subsequent resignation from mainstream Scottish sports programs should have been a warning to us all.

His sons went to school with me Grimsdale, one in my brothers class.
Well I stand corrected. Reading some of the posts I think a lot of guys are looking back wearing rose tinted specs. I'd much rather listened to Brian Moore, Hugh John's, even David Coleman. I remember years ago there was a programme called Sportsnight and Hearts were playing some European tie and instead of the usual Scottish commentator it was Alan Weeks (remember him)...made it much more enjoyable.

Well I stand corrected. Reading some of the posts I think a lot of guys are looking back wearing rose tinted specs. I'd much rather listened to Brian Moore, Hugh John's, even David Coleman. I remember years ago there was a programme called Sportsnight and Hearts were playing some European tie and instead of the usual Scottish commentator it was Alan Weeks (remember him)...made it much more enjoyable.

I agree with you. Sound more professional & smooth:D

Back