Radio Scotland coverage

Aztec

Official Ticketer
I emailed the BBC this morning with a complaint about the coverage of our game in their podcast compared to the mankies ,under 3 minutes in a 48 minute podcast (they discussed Saturdays Celtic v Aberdeen game longer) and I am surprised that I have got a reply already as it usually takes weeks .

Dear ******

Thanks for contacting us regarding Sportsound on 29 October.

The live game that evening was Lille v Celtic and, naturally, that was reflected in the discussion and analysis on the programme.

We did bid for the rights to the Rangers v Lech Poznan, though unsuccessfully, and while we were unable to provide commentary, or analysis based on that live coverage, we did have updates throughout the match and discussion of the game.

That said, we appreciate that the coverage wasn’t to the extent that you were hoping for on this occasion.

Thank you again for your feedback. We’ve included your comments in our overnight reports. These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC, ensuring that complaints can be seen quickly by the right people.

SOMETHING DOES NOT SEEM RIGHT ABOUT THIS .HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD ANY DEALINGS WITH THEM LATELY?

I was trying to get our game at the weekend on the radio in the car. They had their game with the sheep on, but absolutely nothing for ours but the occasional talk to Billy Dodds. Fucking ridiculous and a disgrace!

Edit: also why the %^*& if their away game the main game? Only because they are bitter bastards and won’t go to Ibrox!

I listened to that podcast today. Not sure why to be honest. Burst out laughing at their coverage of the Rangers game. Absolutely pathetic from a publicly funded body
I do not have a problem with radio Clyde or any other independent station being biased as they can do what they want but the level of bias on Radio Scotland is a scandal for a publicly funded station

I complained weeks ago about absolutely no commentary on the Willem II game, but they covered both them and the sheep that night live.

Here’s my reply. (Think they may have pushed the boat out and offered a bag of chips and a can of irnbru to transmit the game).

Thank you for getting in touch and we note your disappointment regarding our coverage of Willem II v Rangers.

We should explain that commentary rights for the European competitions are held by the individual clubs, and BBC Scotland made an offer to Rangers ahead of the Lincoln Red Imps match.

The club decided to decline that offer and indicated they wished to retain the rights for the qualifying stages of the Europa League.

Please be assured that we report, with due impartiality, news emanating from Scottish football games irrespective of the clubs involved. Any suggestion to the contrary is without foundation.

We hope this is helpful and thanks again for your feedback. We’ve included your comments in our overnight reports, which are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC, ensuring that complaints are seen quickly by the right people.

if we win the league will their english bosses make them cut their crap and start reporting from Ibrox again I wonder? I'd think the english would want access to Gerrard if he wins the big one up here, cosidering how beloved he is down south not just by their media, but even by non rangers and Liverpools fans.

Last edited:
We should crowd fund a sizeable donation to charity if the heirarchy at bbc will air a live q&a with us re their ongoing non attendance and lack of even handed coverage.
This current victimisation has been ongoing for about 5 years ffs! It fukn annoys me no end that their current stewardship is tainting what is a national institution. A disgrace.
Sorry rant over...

The situation is absurd. It came about because Rangers withdrew press privileges to a nondescript employee, Chris McLaughlin, a long time ago now. Instead of sending another of their employees to cover Rangers matches and press conferences, they deprive many people who through age, infirmity and the rest of us from the level of service that such a hugely supported club should be receiving. This issue is raised each year at our agm. Last year, Stewart Robertson said that he was in discussions at a senior level of BBC management in London. No doubt at the agm in a few weeks time, the issue will be raised again. Find it strange that there is an acceptance of this with the SPFL hierarchy (knowing who makes up the hierarchy, probably not strange), as this can’t be helpful in attracting sponsorship and particularly in times when there are no spectators, the management of other clubs should be kicking up that their own supporters are missing out on live coverage when they visit Ibrox. Looks like the justification for having a no one likes us, we don’t care attitude will grow increasingly stronger.

Last edited:
Be interesting next season if Rangers are Scotland’s only representatives in the champions league and played against Liverpool at Ibrox.

Can imagine BBC shortbread sitting outside the stadium with a petted lip while the BBC in England wonders why licence payers down south can’t get any radio coverage of a such huge game.

The situation is absurd. It came about because Rangers withdrew press privileges to a nondescript employee, Chris McLaughlin, a long time ago now. Instead of sending another of their employees to cover Rangers matches and press conferences, they deprive many people who through age, infirmity and the rest of us from the level of service that such a hugely supported club should be receiving. This issue is raised each year at our agm. Last year, Stewart Robertson said that he was in discussions at a senior level of BBC management in London. No doubt at the agm in a few weeks time, the issue will be raised again. Find it strange that there is an acceptance of this with the SPFL hierarchy (knowing who makes up the hierarchy, probably not strange), as this can’t be helpful in attracting sponsorship and particularly in times when there are no spectators, the management of other clubs should be kicking up that their own supporters are missing out on live coverage when they visit Ibrox. Looks like the justification for having a no one likes us, we don’t care attitude will grow increasingly stronger.
While I understand where you are coming from .We have done nothing wrong .The decision not to cover our games came from the BBC not us.considering their history of anti rangers bias would you actually anything to do with them. Until we get fair reporting then I,m happy for us to have nothing to do with them.

I was listening to Radio Scotland this morning and the host was grilling a BBC representative about the lack of coverage of Rangers on the BBC especially after our results in europe - he was given the usual piss - problems with Rangers over impartiality but thy are in talks, watch this space........
Aye right

As a rangers fan who funds the bbc it is totally unacceptable. At no point do I turn on the bbc and expect coverage of our team.

the bbc in Scotland is run by an a endless line of sniggering wee pseudo intellectual Celtic supporting bigots.

I’d shut bbc Scotland down tomorrow and bulldoze pacific quay to make way for social housing.

I emailed the BBC this morning with a complaint about the coverage of our game in their podcast compared to the mankies ,under 3 minutes in a 48 minute podcast (they discussed Saturdays Celtic v Aberdeen game longer) and I am surprised that I have got a reply already as it usually takes weeks .

Dear ******

Thanks for contacting us regarding Sportsound on 29 October.

The live game that evening was Lille v Celtic and, naturally, that was reflected in the discussion and analysis on the programme.

We did bid for the rights to the Rangers v Lech Poznan, though unsuccessfully, and while we were unable to provide commentary, or analysis based on that live coverage, we did have updates throughout the match and discussion of the game.

That said, we appreciate that the coverage wasn’t to the extent that you were hoping for on this occasion.

Thank you again for your feedback. We’ve included your comments in our overnight reports. These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC, ensuring that complaints can be seen quickly by the right people.

SOMETHING DOES NOT SEEM RIGHT ABOUT THIS .HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD ANY DEALINGS WITH THEM LATELY?
Yes. They will f**k you about till you get pissed off.

I went from the original complaint, to the appeal process, to ECU (complaints unit) to OfCom. You then have to scan the OfCom site to see if your final complaint was upheld, which mine was not.

An utter CLUSTERF**K.

I don't see why they get the live commentary radio rights for the Europa League when they cannot be bothered giving live commentary from Ibrox. Surely if they refuse to do this then another company should be given the right to provide live audio commentary. I notice they bother their arse to do the Rangers v Celtic matches however so are they just lazy?

I was listening to Radio Scotland this morning and the host was grilling a BBC representative about the lack of coverage of Rangers on the BBC especially after our results in europe - he was given the usual piss - problems with Rangers over impartiality but thy are in talks, watch this space........
Aye right
What show was that winni?

Stop paying your tv license and stop listening to Sportsound and you won't get offended and have to waste your time looking for answers.

Eff them all
I understand your point of view but why should we surrender the national radio to bigots.All rangers fan deserve the same service as every other team and I will continue to go through the complaints process until they understand they cannot get away with it and there is changes to the personnel

We had a routine 2-0 home win and most of us were bored off our heads in the second half. Aside from there not being as much to talk about, their match seen the lead change and end up with them dropping more points. People see what they want to see I guess.

Why don't you listen to Heart and Hand if you get offended by the amount of time other teams get on a podcast? No offence like, it's brilliant.

We had a routine 2-0 home win and most of us were bored off our heads in the second half. Aside from there not being as much to talk about, their match seen the lead change and end up with them dropping more points. People see what they want to see I guess.

Why don't you listen to Heart and Hand if you get offended by the amount of time other teams get on a podcast? No offence like, it's brilliant.
I listen to heart and hand every day but that does not mean that I should be denied coverage of my team by the national broadcaster .I am not offended by the amount of time other team get but I think the national broadcast should be called to account when they are showing bias as it is against one of their aims in their charter

I pay £157.50 for a licence fee. I as other Rangers fans deserve same treatment and coverage as other Scottish teams. Plenty of older fans may only have access to BBC for coverage of Scottish football. They pay a licence fee and aren't getting the same service as fans of other clubs simply because the sports department are biased against their club. If it was a optional subscription service or simple advertising driven media company fine. It's not we all are supposed to pay by law and we're all supposed to get equal fair treatment, we don't.

I pay £157.50 for a licence fee. I as other Rangers fans deserve same treatment and coverage as other Scottish teams. Plenty of older fans may only have access to BBC for coverage of Scottish football. They pay a licence fee and aren't getting the same service as fans of other clubs simply because the sports department are biased against their club. If it was a optional subscription service or simple advertising driven media company fine. It's not we all are supposed to pay by law and we're all supposed to get equal fair treatment, we don't.

This is about a podcast you don't need a licence fee for, and if you have access to it you have access to many other podcasts.

That aside doesn't take away from my original point, there simply wasn't as much to talk about in regards to us last week. In the H&H post match pod the opening line was a joke about it going to be a short podcast.

This is about a podcast you don't need a licence fee for, and if you have access to it you have access to many other podcasts.

That aside doesn't take away from my original point, there simply wasn't as much to talk about in regards to us last week. In the H&H post match pod the opening line was a joke about it going to be a short podcast.
Main point stands we don't get same coverage as others. Everyone making that podcast is paid through licence payers money so it's still being made with licence fee money. I subscribe to H and H that's a choice currently by law I have no choice with paying for BBC (know technically there's ways round that)

Main poist stands we don't get same coverage as others. Everyone making that podcast is paid through licence payers money so it's still being made with licence fe money.

Watch Sportscene instead to get value for your licence fee, I don't but people on here have been saying they have been full of praise for us the past 2 weeks :oops:. Can't give you a low down of how long our highlights are compared to the rest though.

I complained weeks ago about absolutely no commentary on the Willem II game, but they covered both them and the sheep that night live.

Here’s my reply. (Think they may have pushed the boat out and offered a bag of chips and a can of irnbru to transmit the game).

Thank you for getting in touch and we note your disappointment regarding our coverage of Willem II v Rangers.

We should explain that commentary rights for the European competitions are held by the individual clubs, and BBC Scotland made an offer to Rangers ahead of the Lincoln Red Imps match.

The club decided to decline that offer and indicated they wished to retain the rights for the qualifying stages of the Europa League.

Please be assured that we report, with due impartiality, news emanating from Scottish football games irrespective of the clubs involved. Any suggestion to the contrary is without foundation.

We hope this is helpful and thanks again for your feedback. We’ve included your comments in our overnight reports, which are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC, ensuring that complaints are seen quickly by the right people.
There is a listen function on rtv mate

A very long thread documenting their bias at Gersnet. I know people will say who cares but as long as they are publicly funded it does matter.
Look out for the posts of 26th of foot in particular.

I don't agree with the suggestion that we'll force change by withholding the licence fee.

For me, what will really get questions asked is when we are parading the league trophy at Ibrox and Scottish Cup at Hampden and Chick Young & co can't get near the players/management for the customary post-match interviews.

I put in a complaint and got much the same copy paste response. Something about Rangers withholding press privelidges to an employee, blah blah.
All this for 1 guy. Really?

I was trying to get our game at the weekend on the radio in the car. They had their game with the sheep on, but absolutely nothing for ours but the occasional talk to Billy Dodds. Fucking ridiculous and a disgrace!

Edit: also why the %^*& if their away game the main game? Only because they are bitter bastards and won’t go to Ibrox!
Heard billy Dodds discussing team lineups. Said mccrorie had been replaced after goals conceded in previous game. No mention that he couldn’t play against his parent club.

Was working on Thursday and stuck radio Scotland on. Thought they might have done commentary by watching the TV due to their self imposed exile but no, they only made a few comments during the game. There was no enthusiasm that either team had chances (usually is for opposition teams) and no reaction when we scored, with them claiming Tav scored it.

If we do go on to win the league then everyone and their dog will be wanting interviews with the manager and players but the BBC will be stuck reporting from the street again, absolute shambles.

taken from follow follow ,BBC Scotland heid bummer on the wireless this morning. He was asked why Rangers supporters would listen to the BBC when there were no interviews from Rangers. They would listen to commercial stations or watch STV. Heid bummer hinted that they were trying to resolve the situation. It's a few days running now they have mentioned "the situation" on GMS. Is there something in the air ?
I commented the newscaster this morning was his last day I think that was why he was so brave,

Back