Radio Scotland losing 20% of audience in past year.

Rajar figures are a huge deal to radio stations, the BBC higher-ups down south won’t turn a blind eye to this.
The higher ups couldn't have cared any less during BBC Scotland's self-imposed ban over Mclaughlin, so I remain to be convinced they'll sit up and ask questions now.

It goes without saying, I hope you are correct.

The higher ups couldn't have cared any less during BBC Scotland's self-imposed ban over Mclaughlin, so I remain to be convinced they'll sit up and ask questions now.

It goes without saying, I hope you are correct.
Because that had nothing to do with Rajar figures. They don’t care about the drama, politics or anything else.

They want the numbers that justify their job, salary & any potential wage rise & Rajar figures are 100% a recognised headline figure for them.

Listened to a bit of off the ball with Cosgrove and Cowan a few months back in the car. It's embarrassingly bad who actually listens to that regularly?

Two fat middle aged men telling the same tired jokes from 20 years back.

BBC shortbreads football coverage is just as woeful mostly the same pundits from decades back every week.
I thinks it demographic must surely be the same as the presenters 50 to 75.

It’s has its day and should be replaced with a show that wants to delve into the tactical side of the game as there is very little proper analysis of Scottish games.

Taking any club bias out of it, me and my mrs are football daft, she’s a season ticket holder at hearts, we’re both in our 30s and are constantly saying how ‘old’ their coverage is, Willie Miller and Tam Cowan in particular getting on our nerves. She agrees that most of the regular commentators love wanking off to all things Celtic as well.

It’s the same problem most traditional media outlets are facing, the majority of their audience are 50+ and a huge chuck of that are 60+ or older, so they cater to that audience, and become less and less appealing to younger audiences.
Willie Miller, just what does he bring to the art of punditry. ?

Radio Scotland has lost a fifth of it's listeners in the past year according to the latest Rajar figures.

In the last three months of 2021 976,000 were tuning in each week. Twelve months later that figure was down to 780,000

That's a huge drop in listeners. In commercial radio heads would roll following a survey as bad as that.

There will be many reasons for this drop which will be jumped on gleefully by those who hate Radio Scotland's support for the SNP and a football team that hides sex crimes.

On the football side it's shows are very anti Rangers and the continued use of dinosaurs such as Cosgrove and Cowan highlight a refusal by BBC Scotland to move with the times.

This post could have been more specific to the Lounge clientele but Bear Pit regulars will also delight in seeing Radio Shortbread suffering.

Aye, Neil McCann you've made your bed......
And that’s AFTER we let them back in…..

Their football coverage last I heard was embarrassing and consisted of Alan Preston and Derek Ferguson screaming at the top of their voices about a near miss. Open all mikes they called it.

Surprisingly, some of the close season stuff with Chick Young and Archie MacPherson talking about tournaments, games, players and managers from back in the 70’s and 80’s was actually a good listen.

Rajar figures are a huge deal to radio stations, the BBC higher-ups down south won’t turn a blind eye to this.
They don't care about viewing figures. It's easy when you have a guaranteed income every year

They were happy to ditch Clarkson from Top Gear, losing overseas sales in the process. And look at the plummeting viewing numbers for Easterender and Doctor Who

Their football coverage last I heard was embarrassing and consisted of Alan Preston and Derek Ferguson screaming at the top of their voices about a near miss. Open all mikes they called it.

Surprisingly, some of the close season stuff with Chick Young and Archie MacPherson talking about tournaments, games, players and managers from back in the 70’s and 80’s was actually a good listen.
Open All Mics is a classic example of the BBC refusing to accept when a format isn't working. It's never worked, but over a decade on and it's still ongoing

Parts of BBC Scotland needs a complete rework. They're full of jobs for the boys dinosaurs that haven't kept up with modern life. From the comedy that seems to think an exaggerated accent is funny, to the sports side that is afraid of upsetting certain teams

If anyone is unfortunate enough to have the radio on when there’s a full football card on the output is utter chaos. They completely talk over each other and those commentators/ pundits at each game shout out events at the game and often they don’t mention the team that say a goal, corner, penalty or red car is for,…. You can sit open mouthed for an age whilst you figure out that yes indeed it is a goal to Rangers.

Dated, out moded and rife with nascent bigotry and institutional bias. The whole station Sport, news and the lot should be shut down in a cost saving exercise to do away with the licence fee.

Willie Miller the other night “it’s a goal for Pittodrie at Aberdeen”
Did he even give that much detail? For St Mirren’s second or third he didn’t even mention what team scored!

My wife listens to it in the morning/during the day. Christ knows why, there is little news analysis. Fiona stalker is a classic example of a job for life BBC employee.

I haven't listened for years. The Off the ball type shows were dated even back when I did listen. The pundits are virtually all players from the eighties and nineties.
The game has changed a lot since then. New blood required.

Its bizarre behavior - commercial suicide to align with any one minority demogrphic and alienate the majority. When they need to be self funded one would hope that a change is forced on them when they start to employ commercially aware gaffers as opposed to tims/nationalists

Radio Scotland is dreadful and its little wonder it's numbers have been dropping consistently. The hosts, pundits and commentators of their football programs are of a very low standard and too many of them have been there for too long. Dick Gordon, Tam English, Wee Chick, Jum Spence, Spiersy, Willie Miller, Michael Stewart have all been regular contributors over the years, so it's little wonder it is dying a slow painful death.

Did he even give that much detail? For St Mirren’s second or third he didn’t even mention what team scored!

My wife listens to it in the morning/during the day. Christ knows why, there is little news analysis. Fiona stalker is a classic example of a job for life BBC employee.
It’s hilarious how bad he is, central Scottish people don’t make good commentators, the Sasannachs are very good

Back