Radio Scotland losing 20% of audience in past year.

buster60

Radio Scotland has lost a fifth of it's listeners in the past year according to the latest Rajar figures.

In the last three months of 2021 976,000 were tuning in each week. Twelve months later that figure was down to 780,000

That's a huge drop in listeners. In commercial radio heads would roll following a survey as bad as that.

There will be many reasons for this drop which will be jumped on gleefully by those who hate Radio Scotland's support for the SNP and a football team that hides sex crimes.

On the football side it's shows are very anti Rangers and the continued use of dinosaurs such as Cosgrove and Cowan highlight a refusal by BBC Scotland to move with the times.

This post could have been more specific to the Lounge clientele but Bear Pit regulars will also delight in seeing Radio Shortbread suffering.

Aye, Neil McCann you've made your bed......

Fek RS, I hope they keep declining at a fair rate and end up going off air.

The McCann thing I can't get my head round. He behaved like a demented tim.

I had a lot of time for him but not sure where I stand now. I reckon he needs to make some sort of apology.

F8-C45-D34-7967-434-C-9233-0-A5022-D16-B99.gif

Radio Scotland has lost a fifth of it's listeners in the past year according to the latest Rajar figures.

In the last three months of 2021 976,000 were tuning in each week. Twelve months later that figure was down to 780,000

That's a huge drop in listeners. In commercial radio heads would roll following a survey as bad as that.

There will be many reasons for this drop which will be jumped on gleefully by those who hate Radio Scotland's support for the SNP and a football team that hides sex crimes.

On the football side it's shows are very anti Rangers and the continued use of dinosaurs such as Cosgrove and Cowan highlight a refusal by BBC Scotland to move with the times.

This post could have been more specific to the Lounge clientele but Bear Pit regulars will also delight in seeing Radio Shortbread suffering.

Aye, Neil McCann you've made your bed......
You're spot on. This could have been written 15 years ago and would have been bang on then too.

I had a lot of time for him but not sure where I stand now. I reckon he needs to make some sort of apology.
Apologise to whom?

Listened to a bit of off the ball with Cosgrove and Cowan a few months back in the car. It's embarrassingly bad who actually listens to that regularly?

Two fat middle aged men telling the same tired jokes from 20 years back.

BBC shortbreads football coverage is just as woeful mostly the same pundits from decades back every week.
That programme should have been binned long ago it’s just so dated
The world has moved on and modern podcasts are what people are listening to , this is the reason H&H has been so successful

I used to be a regular listener to lots of their non football shows but the great infiltration of the separately schooled festered into every show, destroying creativity, diversity and intelligent programming so now I never listen to anything there. They destroy everything- schools, courts, councils, unions, Holyrood, the Labour Party, too, radio. Everything.

As much as we all love to kick the football coverage on BBC Radio Scotland, I am pretty sure the drop off is due to the other non-football crap they broadcast.

The thing is BBC Radio Scotland, Daily Record and Radio Clyde genuinely couldn’t care about losing listeners or readers. They are so entrenched in their hatred and agenda that this is the hill that they will ultimately die on. All they would have to do is report fairly and without an agenda then I’m sure the figures wouldn’t be as bad.

I grew up listening to rRdio Scotland but these days I only listen occasionally - their sport coverage is a shadow of what it was 12 years ago, when you had 6.30 to 10 most nights. These days it's only on when a game is on (and often not then). Off the Ball was tired and repetitive 10 years ago.

The non-sports coverage is poor too, they try to be too many things. Bryan Burnett is like off the ball, the same show for 20 years. The morning phone in is embarrasing

I grew up listening to rRdio Scotland but these days I only listen occasionally - their sport coverage is a shadow of what it was 12 years ago, when you had 6.30 to 10 most nights. These days it's only on when a game is on (and often not then). Off the Ball was tired and repetitive 10 years ago.

The non-sports coverage is poor too, they try to be too many things. Bryan Burnett is like off the ball, the same show for 20 years. The morning phone in is embarrasing
They regularly now have 10 or 11 in the Ibrox press box plus other technicians and cameramen.

Needs to be put in context.
Firstly his Jambos background where he played for years before coming to us.
Secondly this was his only derogatory comment against a plethora of positive comments that night.

However I am pretty sure you would never hear any Dark side minded commentator ever daring to mention anything like that against one of their own.
Indeed I can remember Kyogo doing swan acts in the box with no contact and them justifying it.

There’s a balance somewhere and do we really want to follow their route??

Taking any club bias out of it, me and my mrs are football daft, she’s a season ticket holder at hearts, we’re both in our 30s and are constantly saying how ‘old’ their coverage is, Willie Miller and Tam Cowan in particular getting on our nerves. She agrees that most of the regular commentators love wanking off to all things Celtic as well.

It’s the same problem most traditional media outlets are facing, the majority of their audience are 50+ and a huge chuck of that are 60+ or older, so they cater to that audience, and become less and less appealing to younger audiences.

The content on it is generally poor.

Echo chamber news and current affairs content. 3rd rate sports coverage. Music output is generally rubbish. Questionable comedy too. It's not entirely devoid of merit. The Sunday afternoon sports broadcast can be a bit wider and more interesting in its scope. Breaking The News and the show Mark Nelson hosts can be hit or miss, but both have their moments. Natasha Raskin Sharp's thursday night show is great and Another Country with Ricky Ross was always decent. But the quality content is just too far and few.

That Cowan & Cosgrove show is well past its sell by date and needs binned and replaced with A View from the Terrace show that would work better on radio than it does TV at the moment.
Would it hurt for them to try a 'Sportscene Extra' that deviates from the sh*t formula we get on TV, try & get some young presenters with analytics guys, actually deep dive into the tactics & stats of Scottish football?

Let's be honest, when you're down 20%, the only bad idea is staying the course.

Would it hurt for them to try a 'Sportscene Extra' that deviates from the sh*t formula we get on TV, try & get some young presenters with analytics guys, actually deep dive into the tactics & stats of Scottish football?

Let's be honest, when you're down 20%, the only bad idea is staying the course.
Its a good idea and the football coverage needs a shot in the arm from somewhere to bring it up to date.

Many years ago I was a regular listener but I haven’t listened for at least 10 years.
Same here , always had it on in the kitchen or in the car now don't listen to them at all . Can't stand the nonsense that comes out of their mouths

I think his rodent genes are coming to the fore.

Listened to a bit of off the ball with Cosgrove and Cowan a few months back in the car. It's embarrassingly bad who actually listens to that regularly?

Two fat middle aged men telling the same tired jokes from 20 years back.

BBC shortbreads football coverage is just as woeful mostly the same pundits from decades back every week.
Was terrible when I was a kid at school I'm now 40 and it's the same old crap from they two Neanderthals.

When you employ an arrogant, patronising Irish rugby correspondent as the font of all Scottish football knowledge then you have only yourself to blame

Along with that twat Stewart who tries to be controversial to remain relevant then it won't only be bears that can't be fucked with it anymore

Replacing those 2 would be a start

Off the ball is rotten now, used to be good with the sketches but now the guests are all nobodies and they play songs in between. Although they probably aren't allowed to be as risqué as the used to be cos everyone is so woke

As much as we all love to kick the football coverage on BBC Radio Scotland, I am pretty sure the drop off is due to the other non-football crap they broadcast.

They used to have a show every night, now they it’s only when games are on, I think they must have lost listeners through that.

Back