Rafa Benitez facing the sack at Everton?

Changing the manager isn't going to stop them spunking stupid money on the likes of Iwobi, Tosun and Kean.

Until they have the correct infrastructure in place behind the scenes, they will contribute to waste money and hire and sack managers every other season.
Changing to the current manger has, he’s only spent something like £1.7m

I thought Benitez would at least steady them to some degree despite how unpopular he is, but it's been a disaster so far.

The thing I don't understand with Everton is what so you expect any manager to do with that squad.

Only got one decent striker (who is injured), terrible attacking midfielders/forwards (Iwobi & an alleged nonce) & rotten centre halves. And that's after spending a fortune very badly

The thing I don't understand with Everton is what so you expect any manager to do with that squad.

Only got one decent striker (who is injured), terrible attacking midfielders/forwards (Iwobi & an alleged nonce) & rotten centre halves. And that's after spending a fortune very badly
I think they have a decent squad. Certainly good enough to be performing better than they are.

The director of football has left, is he getting the blame for the problems they have?

In fairness to Benitez, hes signed 2 players on a free - Begovic and Townsend, Gray for £1.7m and Rondon (not sure what cost he was if any)

Begovic was a back up, so is Rondon, albeit he's been poor for them. Townsend and Gray have been 2 of their better players. But I suppose that in itself highlights their issues

Impossible club to manage, fans want top 6 but that’s completely unrealistic without hundreds of millions pumped in (which they have but can’t due to FFP).

They should accept it’s going to take years, build up slowly like Red Bull club.

everton are a very proud club and loyal fan base
I don't doubt that they do but they spend absolute fortunes on players and appoint seemingly very good managers with good CVs but never really get anywhere, one top 7 finish in the last 8 seasons and nowhere near winning a cup.

I don't really get what their targets are as a club, is it Europe, a trophy? It must be incredibly frustrating to support Everton and that's before they even look over Stanley Park.

They've done very little since the great team of the mid 80s..which was nearly 40 years ago

The fact he would even go to Everton just shows what a scumbag, mercenary the man is. He was there for a fat paycheck and to get out the door as quickly as possible.

The fans were always going to turn after the first run of bad results.

A great manager in his day but he is now one of yesterdays men.

2nd longest club serving the English top flight since 1954, current form and results see them teetering on the brink of a relegation dogfight if Rafa doesn't turn it around rapidly. They've made some strange appointments in recent years none more so than Benitez, never really thought he was the correct fit for them in the first place... Lose tonight against Arsenal and it could well be curtains for him, wee spell for Big Dunc holding the fort is only a matter of time IMO.

Terribly run football club. Since Everton have had money they have managed to mostly waste it on over paid premier league players.

There seems to be little plan and they just sack the manager and reset every time. I see the sporting director has now left.

Benitez has been poor and the club is going now where. Big changes needed asap.

Their transfer history over the last 5 years or so has been shambolic. Rafa struggled with this as he got a pittance to spend in the summer.

In the first few months after he arrived at Liverpool, the Everton fans called him Raphael Beneath Us. His appointment at Everton was never going to end well.

Changing the manager isn't going to stop them spunking stupid money on the likes of Iwobi, Tosun and Kean.

Until they have the correct infrastructure in place behind the scenes, they will continue to waste money and hire and sack managers every other season.
Let's just build a new stadium to take minds off the shambles that is the playing side of things ! :rolleyes:

I am shocked by this turn of events, felt like the perfect appointment for them, fan reaction at the time reflected that
I still can’t believe they appointed an Ex Liverpool manager who once upon a time called Everton a small insignificant team.

Shocked it isn’t working out especially since he signed Rondon yet again.

I can't argue with RB's record -
He's had an above average success rate
But having said that - he's also looked a bit ropey wherever he's been IMO - & I can't say I'd ever place full confidence in him

Everton weren't exactly in a good place when he arrived
& right now they look like they're going backwards to me

I couldn't suggest any obvious replacements for him - but neither can I argue with conviction that he'll turn this around -

Time to part company & let big Dunc run with it for the moment- even if it is short term -

Of course- just my opinion though

I see a few places touting Mourinho for the job.

He had the standard meltdown at the media after they got beat 3-0 at the weekend, although it usually takes 3 years to get to this stage with him and not just 6 months.

I see a few places touting Mourinho for the job.

He had the standard meltdown at the media after they got beat 3-0 at the weekend, although it usually takes 3 years to get to this stage with him and not just 6 months.
Heard something on TS last night that certain media in Rome are going to boycott his press conferences?

Never really heard it properly as to what it was about.

Heard something on TS last night that certain media in Rome are going to boycott his press conferences?

Never really heard it properly as to what it was about.
Refused to take any questions and just decided to go on a monologue at the media instead

"Your job is a lot easier than ours which is why we earn a lot more than you."

I can't argue with RB's record -
He's had an above average success rate
But having said that - he's also looked a bit ropey wherever he's been IMO - & I can't say I'd ever place full confidence in him

Everton weren't exactly in a good place when he arrived
& right now they look like they're going backwards to me

I couldn't suggest any obvious replacements for him - but neither can I argue with conviction that he'll turn this around -

Time to part company & let big Dunc run with it for the moment- even if it is short term -

Of course- just my opinion though
Agreed, would hate to see big Dunc's name being permanently linked with that shower as number one.

I've wondered about that. Before Bill Shankly arrived at Liverpool, they were the better club?
Without a doubt.
Even in the first ten years of Shankly's tenure Everton were still considered by most as Liverpool's Premier club.
The balance of power began to shift in 1964 when Liverpool succeeded Everton as champions but in 1970, most observers would, I think, still have rated Everton as top dogs in the city. From that time on though it's been one way traffic.

Who made the decision to appoint him?
One person, such as a director of football or a vote in the board room?
I thought it was the wrong decision right away and when the first media rumour surfaced about his possible appointment, I dismissed it as the usual click bait nonsense.

I am not a Benitez fan. I can’t deny he’s had success but I just can’t put my finger on my i don’t think he is really particularly good, but what di I know! Get Warnock in lol

Back