Rafa Benitez facing the sack at Everton?

Who made the decision to appoint him?
One person, such as a director of football or a vote in the board room?
I thought it was the wrong decision right away and when the first media rumour surfaced about his possible appointment, I dismissed it as the usual click bait nonsense.
Marcel Brands (their director of football) has now left the club and they are having a "restructure".

Whether it was him or not, he's the one taking the hit for it.

Ancelotti now Benitez... Two of the best European managers of their era not able to make it work... Something not right at that club

Marcel Brands (their director of football) has now left the club and they are having a "restructure".

Whether it was him or not, he's the one taking the hit for it.
Thank you.
A strange decision for a big club like Everton to appoint him as manager,not because of his CV, but who he won a European cup with. I assumed there would have been serious doubts by senior figures at the club.

Did anyone hear him talking about how far his players had run after getting pumped 4-1 off Liverpool?

Thought to myself he must be trying to bam the Evertonians up here.

Agreed, would hate to see big Dunc's name being permanently linked with that shower as number one.

How long has DF been at Everton now ?
Must be more than 20 years in total ?
That seems to me - to be close to the 'permanent' category already
( or at least as near to 'permanent' as you get in football- of course)

How long has DF been at Everton now ?
Must be more than 20 years in total ?
That seems to me - to be close to the 'permanent' category already
( or at least as near to 'permanent' as you get in football- of course)
My post did state " as number one "

Lennon still waiting also for the right job to come up :)
Everton's sorry predicament is the result of many factors all of which are as a result of poor judgement and decision making within the club over a long period of time. But even they wouldn't be so daft as to hire TLB.

It's interesting to note that despite all of the gloating about 'treble trebles' and the superficial successes he liked to take credit for, since stepping dow as celtic manager, Lennon has not received (at least to my knowledge) any significant job offers from any other club.

Everton just remind me of Hearts. An angry wee fanbase and a team who, regardless of whoever is managing them at the time, play boring, sterile football. They pretty much peaked (in the PL years) under Moyes that season they got 4th. Would be pretty funny if Rafa took them down. Although he'll likely be sacked before he can complete the mission.

I thought the Scouse rivalry was supposed to be a friendly one, with fans sitting intermingled at derby games. Have they been lying to me all these years?

Everton just remind me of Hearts. An angry wee fanbase and a team who, regardless of whoever is managing them at the time, play boring, sterile football. They pretty much peaked (in the PL years) under Moyes that season they got 4th. Would be pretty funny if Rafa took them down. Although he'll likely be sacked before he can complete the mission.
They made the mistake of thinking that was the norm and failed to register how well Moyes had done for them over a long period of careful building and reinforcement.
They have made some dreadful appointments since Moyes
Rafa among the worst, I could not believe when they selected him. Credit where it was due, he was a fine Coach but his best days were clearly some time ago and he is forever talking about needing money money for new players. Really thats the last thing Everton needed as theyve squandered several fortunes and shouldve been looking for a Coach who would make something of what was there while trying to box clever in the market up upgrades.

Landing Carlo was quite the coup, most unlike them but following him with Rafa was an incredibly Everton thing to do.

2nd longest club serving the English top flight since 1954, current form and results see them teetering on the brink of a relegation dogfight if Rafa doesn't turn it around rapidly. They've made some strange appointments in recent years none more so than Benitez, never really thought he was the correct fit for them in the first place... Lose tonight against Arsenal and it could well be curtains for him, wee spell for Big Dunc holding the fort is only a matter of time IMO.
What happened in 53/54 ?

can see the everton board going all out to get jose to goodison, and tears all around will soon follow if indeed they get him,

They made the mistake of thinking that was the norm and failed to register how well Moyes had done for them over a long period of careful building and reinforcement.

Rafa among the worst, I could not believe when they selected him. Credit where it was due, he was a fine Coach but his best days were clearly some time ago and he is forever talking about needing money money for new players. Really thats the last thing Everton needed as theyve squandered several fortunes and shouldve been looking for a Coach who would make something of what was there while trying to box clever in the market up upgrades.

Landing Carlo was quite the coup, most unlike them but following him with Rafa was an incredibly Everton thing to do.

I don't think he did a great job. Earned a huge wage and spent decent money but they didn't look capable of going any higher than midtable under him. Rafa is their first manager in years who hasn't been backed, he spent pennies in the summer. They did start the season really well but have struggled after a few injuries.

The fact he would even go to Everton just shows what a scumbag, mercenary the man is. He was there for a fat paycheck and to get out the door as quickly as possible.

The fans were always going to turn after the first run of bad results.

A great manager in his day but he is now one of yesterdays men.

I think his family still stay in Liverpool so probably part of the reason he took the job

absolutely mental that they've ditched their sporting director and backed the manager. The whole point of a sporting director is the 'project' and being able to dispense of a manager whilst not losing the long term focus. Even more so when that manager is as unpopular as Rafa.

6 months and they’re already talking about punting Benitez. Agree with everyone else who’s said it, there’s definitely an issue at the top with Everton and I don’t think it’s a manager or player problem

I see a few places touting Mourinho for the job.

He had the standard meltdown at the media after they got beat 3-0 at the weekend, although it usually takes 3 years to get to this stage with him and not just 6 months.

Going from one yesterday man's who's been long finished to another. Sounds like a great plan.

Everton started off well but have just fell off a cliff rapidly. Doesn't help Rafa has had no money to badly plug the gaps in that team and his best striker has spent more time thinking he's David Gandy than actually playing this season.

Everton are such a shambles they might get desperate enough to appoint Mourinho as manager, he will then spend £400m on players and make them worse.

Back