Rail seating makes its debut at Spurs ground

Bluebrox

Some pics from yesterday which kind of show the "safe standing ready" area at Spurs. Good move by the club.

Capacity limited to 30,000 yesterday, which they filled for an under-18 game and will go up to 45k for legends game v Inter Milan on Saturday - then it should be all systems go for a full capacity game v Palace.

51GQyW9.jpg

KZugXKQ.jpg

NIdePQJ.jpg

So they don't have the permission to use safe standing yet but are ready for it when they get the go ahead? What size of an area is it in terms of capacity?

So they don't have the permission to use safe standing yet but are ready for it when they get the go ahead? What size of an area is it in terms of capacity?

Current capacity of the South Stand is 17000

Not known what the area will hold if safe standing is eventfully allowed in English grounds, still a long way off for that

If I was none the wiser I would think that is an MLS / NFL stadium.

It's visually very impressive but I'd be absolutely gutted for that to be become our stadium. Give me heritage and history like Ibrox / Highbury / WHL / Goodison any day of the week over a soulless bowl like that and Emirates etc.

If I was none the wiser I would think that is an MLS / NFL stadium.

It's visually very impressive but I'd be absolutely gutted for that to be become our stadium. Give me heritage and history like Ibrox / Highbury / WHL / Goodison any day of the week over a soulless bowl like that and Emirates etc.

Ideally, we should be able to combine the two.

The other 3 stands should be fantastic, leading edge, modern experiences.

The Copland and Broomloan should be giant walls at either end.

Huge, single tiers with safe standing.

Govan should arc nicely and join them.

Away section should be a cage. Perspex dome.

We led the way previously, times have changed, but we shouldn’t stop dreaming big.

Yes mate - they are 'ready' for it when they get the official go-ahead. It will happen and they have built this in to their designs - including the away section.

I believe around 6,000 of these seats have been created. It may actually be more though.

My mrs uncle managed to get a ST for one of these and apparently it was oversubscribed. Shows you the demand is there. But we know that anyway.

...................Donna-Maria Cullen, Executive Director, Tottenham Hotspur, said: “As a Club, we did not engage on this until the Hillsborough Inquiry was concluded, which showed that the tragedy in April 1989 had not been caused by standing.

“We then conducted research with our fan base which showed overwhelming support for safe standing. The main reasons given were choice and atmosphere - fans cannot sing sitting down.

“So, at our new stadium, we have designed a section within the home area and within the away section that has an integrated safety bar with the normal seating. Fans have bought season tickets for the home area in the knowledge that, should the law change, this would be our standing area - it was one of the first areas to sell out.

“Importantly, it is a new design which incorporates the same appearance and comfort as all other seats within the stadium.

“In the meantime, without any change in the law, our design delivers a safer environment should there be persistent standing.”

Jon Babbs, Stadium Director, Tottenham Hotspur, said: “Our design ensures that, regardless of the law changing, only one fan per seat will be permitted within the future-proofed areas.

“This, along with the enhanced clearways and integrated bar, provides improved safety should fans stand during games.”

Martin Cloake, Co-Chair, Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust, said: “We're proud the Club is leading the way by proposing an innovative design concept that takes into account what fans have been asking for. Our latest survey is showing support at 88% in favour of safe standing.”

those rails look permanent - what would stop folk just standing why the need for the law change?

I reeeaaaalllllyyy don’t get the clamour for their new stadium? It looks bang average. A soulless modern monstrosity.

Sounds shite as well. Echoey and empty.
I think it will be sensational.

And remember they're not moving grounds (well about 200 yards) so it is still their spiritual home - just a massive upgrade.

Think people are going to be surprised by the great atmosphere and noise generated - especially from the 17,000 single tier kop end.

62,000 in there every home game, packed to the rafters - will be some sight and sound.

In terms of modern stadia I think this one will be amazing.

those rails look permanent - what would stop folk just standing why the need for the law change?

1989 Football Act prevent standing in the 2 top tiers at football ground in England & Wales

it needs Parliamentary change to allow standing

Yes people stand currently but clubs are aware that they could have areas reduced or even shut due to that so try and combat it as best they can with persistent standing

What is lacks in history and character, it makes up for in legroom.

Agreed. A stadium fit for the next 100 years.

I've got to admit it, it's a beautiful looking stadium, and delighted they've maintained the seats right to pitch side. These huge gaps with fans half a mile away from the pitch (ok, teensy weeny wee exaggeration LOL) because of running tracks are horrendous.

1989 Football Act prevent standing in the 2 top tiers at football ground in England & Wales

it needs Parliamentary change to allow standing

Yes people stand currently but clubs are aware that they could have areas reduced or even shut due to that so try and combat it as best they can with persistent standing

There not really combating it with a rail in place - think there fully aware everyone in this section will be standing now.

There not really combating it with a rail in place - think there fully aware everyone in this section will be standing now.

I think they are but they also that they could have that area reduced or shut if the local authority have concerns Tottenham are still think to the future with this

i7Ppuge.jpg

That's quite a drop off behind the goals. I know there is an artificial pitch for the NFL under it but the whole pitch including the corners looks pretty tight.

Ideally, we should be able to combine the two.

The other 3 stands should be fantastic, leading edge, modern experiences.

The Copland and Broomloan should be giant walls at either end.

Huge, single tiers with safe standing.

Govan should arc nicely and join them.

Away section should be a cage. Perspex dome.

We led the way previously, times have changed, but we shouldn’t stop dreaming big.
With pish dripping down on top of them

I’m not a huge fan of modern Meccano stadiums but I have to say that looks absolutely fantastic and a whole new level to anything else in the UK .

There’s no reason whatsoever why we couldn’t copy that type of rail seating in the broomloan front .

An amazing stadium , simply amazing .

Jealous as Fck .

They are some of the most spoiled fans in football

Been to a couple of big Spurs games at Wembley. Utterly spoiled with a sense of superiority that outweighs their actual contribution to football.

Bit like Man City fans. Although theyve got aome ailverwear recently to feel ‘superior’

We update: Just spoken with one of the lads in the office who attended that under 18 game yesterday. He said that even though there were only 30,000 there, when a bit of noise did pick up he said the acoustics were incredible.

I think Spurs have done this right, on every aspect/level.

I’m not a huge fan of modern Meccano stadiums but I have to say that looks absolutely fantastic and a whole new level to anything else in the UK .

There’s no reason whatsoever why we couldn’t copy that type of rail seating in the broomloan front .

An amazing stadium , simply amazing .

Jealous as Fck .
Me too mate - jealous as anything.

I think it will be sensational.

And remember they're not moving grounds (well about 200 yards) so it is still their spiritual home - just a massive upgrade.

Think people are going to be surprised by the great atmosphere and noise generated - especially from the 17,000 single tier kop end.

62,000 in there every home game, packed to the rafters - will be some sight and sound.

In terms of modern stadia I think this one will be amazing.

I watched yesterday’s game. Plenty of empty seats. Atmosphere was gash (albeit on the TV), it was really echoey.

I watched yesterday’s game. Plenty of empty seats. Atmosphere was gash (albeit on the TV), it was really echoey.

You do know that it was a test event and capacity was limited to 30k

2nd test event this Saturday against Inter Milan Legends capacity limited 45k

They were restricted to 30,000 yesterday, which they filled.

Lad in the office was there and he said when any noise did pick up it was superb and he felt the acoustics were going to be incredible.

It will be packed for every home game and IMO will have one of the best atmospheres going. That South Stand/Wall is fantastic.

yes well maybe for Tottenham due to other factors in building of their ground but I am sure we could do something similar cheaper?
I'd love us to do 'something' to our ground to really upgrade it mate. Desperately needs it..

As someone else said, we may not be flush for cash, but we should never lose our ambition, no matter what.

First time I've been jealous of another stadium.

Rangers and Scottish football has well and truly been left behind in the last 10-15 years.

Agreed.

I of course love Ibrox to bits and it has a sense of history and period architecture that the new stadiums don’t and won’t in the future, but the new Spurs stadium looks seriously impressive as far as the ‘new builds’ go.

Reminds me a lot of some of the big stadiums in the US, read a BBC article earlier which said that the concourse right the way around (excluding the away section for obvious reasons) is all open plan so you can wander around at your leisure, which is very much a feature of the big US stadiums and increases scope for in-stadium retail outlets etc.

Looking forward to seeing it in proper action next week on TV and definitely planning a visit next season if I can acquire some tickets.

I'd love us to do 'something' to our ground to really upgrade it mate. Desperately needs it..

As someone else said, we may not be flush for cash, but we should never lose our ambition, no matter what.
Might just be me but if it was a choice of spending £40 million to improve the stadium or the playing squad then I know what I'd choose.

I'd be keeping Morelos and looking for a number 8 and number 10. The stadium can wait until we are back at the top of Scottish football.

Yes we should never lose ambition and to think 40 years ago the Rangers Pools help fund the redevelopment of Ibrox.

I know people will say the Main Stand prevents wholesale changes but we could still incorporate it

I am sure the red brick is the only protected part?

Back