Raith vs Dundee - Kai Kennedy

I'm 31, the idea I'm in the "dark ages" is pretty strange.

According to wikipedia, he's 5"4', can you tell me any player Gerrard has played on a semi regular basis for us in his three years with us?

I have no issue with his height if his ability makes up for it.
I think he means that in Scotland we seem to be very focused on the physicality of players, rather than ability. We really need to get away from this. The best player we've faced this season was 5'8", Rafa Silva of Benfica. He was absolutely outstanding and ran the show versus us. Messi, Xavi and Iniesta did okay.

I think he means that in Scotland we seem to be very focused on the physicality of players, rather than ability. We really need to get away from this. The best player we've faced this season was 5'8", Rafa Silva of Benfica. He was absolutely outstanding and ran the show versus us. Messi, Xavi and Iniesta did okay.

I understood what he meant but I think he was misunderstanding what I was saying. If Kennedy is talented enough then he'll make it and his height/build won't be an issue.

It's not just Scotland that are focused on the physicality of players, every league in the world is now. Physicality isn't just height/build though, it can be quickness, strength, centre of gravity.

You're correct in what you're saying about the players you mention but they are absolute elite players. Are there any 5"4' players playing in the EPL or the Bundesliga? There possibly are but I bet they have other elite attributes.

I'm not writing Kennedy off, I hope he has a 15 year career for us, but I don't think it's crazy to say his size could be an issue.

I thought some Bears would like to watch 7 mins of this:

For the impatient ones the highlights of the highlights are the wee man (wearing 21 and in lurid yellow boots):

1:37 Coming short for a corner then dinking the ball up for RR to score from a free header
2:43 Flicking the ball over the head of the defender, skinning him and setting up a shot for the No 11
3.13. Nice shot parried by the keeper. Inexplicably the RR left back didn't follow the shot up.
4:36 Takes the ball on the left wing, jinks inside and batters it in to the top RHS of the net. Top notch goal.

He's too good to play at this level!
Thanks for that OP

Kennedy is small, but he's strong and has a great low centre of gravity which deceives players. Raith had Ethan Ross on loan from the sheep and despite him doing well, they recalled him pretty much immediately as they knew Kai was going to play ahead of him every week. He's too good for that level, best result for us and his development is RR coming up through the playoffs and going back to them again next year to be their star in the SPFL.
RR have a pretty decent side and he was in involved it basically beating two bottom 6 standard premiership teams i can see him dragging RR up through the play offs i think.

As for his physical attributes I'm sure the club will have a plan for working with our sports scientist's when he comes back to give him everything he needs to be a success long term i think he'll be Kents replacement

IMO looks a good option on the LW he isn't afraid to have a shot from outside the box and has speed and is direct

Of course it isn't crazy. If you have two players of equal pace, skill and all round ability one of whom is 5'5" and 8 stone and the other 6'1" and 12 stone you're going to choose the one who can win the physical battles. How many times does SG say that in interviews? Win the physical battle and then you can let the quality shine through. As with others I'm not writing Kennedy off but there is clearly room and hopefully time for him to grow and be strong enough to play in the first team.
If you're 5'5" or 5'6" you need to be utterly exceptional to "make it" in today's game.

Sad but true.

Watched him a good few times now and really expect him to push on now that his contract is sorted. He may be small but he’s a baller and you can never have too many of those.
Hope to see him either in our squad or more likely on loan at another SPFL club next season.

People do realise Kennedy has bulked up and is holding his own physically in a very physical league. Last week he held of the physical challenge of Halkett and Smith fairly easily. Both are built and well over 6 foot.

Kennedy might be small but he is surprisingly strong, has good balance and a low center of gravity. Being tall doesn't equate to being strong and being small doesn't mean you are weak.

This season on loan in the championship seems to have been the making of young Kennedy. Last season in his cameo's he looked a wee boy and nowhere near ready mentally or physically. Now he looks levels above the championship in both categories.

Looks a real player. By all accounts he's playing for Raith as he can travel every day and was missing his family living up north. Maybe that's part of the reason he signed a new deal. Whatever the reason I'm glad he did.

By the way the 2nd Raith goal was a screamer too.

His goal was excellent, but I love the move where he flicks the ball over his head before playing a good pass to this striker. Shows superb invention and ability. Hopefully, Raith are on BBC Scotland for some of the live championship games soon, really want to watch more of him, a very exciting player.

Back