Ramsey - A Goodbye

Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

Hopefully that's the last of us signing early to mid 30s once upon a time top players who are no longer fit enough to cope with the demands.

We can spend the dough better and it no longer fits with the clubs structure.

Like many I got caught up in the hype and belief he would be a tremendous acquisition, overall one of our worst hyped signings ever and quite clearly not trusted by the Manager, who then put trust in him at an unbelievable moment.

I hope in future we keep away from this kind of signing a guy who’s best years were behind him a total disaster since day one
Did we ever learn a lesson from our prodan costly debacle

The money he cost isn’t his fault, the penalty could’ve been anyone and he shouldn’t shoulder the blame entirely for the loss.

Every time I’ve seen a picture of him since Wednesday though…

I hope in future we keep away from this kind of signing a guy who’s best years were behind him a total disaster since day one
Did we ever learn a lesson from our prodan costly debacle

What a ridiculous comparison. Prodan was 26 when he joined Rangers.

Prodan failed because we didn’t put him through a medical.

The loan signing of Ramsey is nothing like the Prodan signing.

I thought he'd have been a great signing but perhaps was hoping it would be the player he was at Arsenal rather than Juve for us. Was a massive gamble which unfortunately never paid off but wish him all the best wherever he goes. Would be surprised to see him back in the EPL though.

A real shame it didn’t work out as hoped. Ramsey is a talented player, a level above most, but clearly his fitness meant we only got to see that in flashes. He hardly had any game time in the matches we really needed him to play and shine ie Europe and vs C***c, so it’s clear he’s not able to cope with the quantity of matches Rangers play.

He seemed to genuinely enjoy his time with us though and I’m sure he helped some of of the younger players develop too. Top professional, but he should probably find a less demanding environment to play in.

When you seen how far off match fitness he was in his first few sub appearance, it was pretty evident he wasn't going to have the impact we all hoped.

He did send good things but unfortunately was never fit enough. I'm sure the other players enjoyed working with him though and he would have had a positive influence within the dressing room.

I'm not going to pretend I wasn't annoyed at the manner of the penalty miss but we can't hold that against him, can happen to anyone. He seems like a decent bloke so hopefully he can find some fitness and form wherever he ends up.

A poor signing in almost every way.

Hes got quality and ability, but as the poster above says, these loans aren't what we need.

Like everybody else I was buzzing when he signed, but in retrospect he didn't even stand out in Scotland :D

Shame it didn't work out but seems a nice guy.

One thing i know for certain is we need to stop these big name loan signings they never seem to work.

Get young hungry players in and scout properly or give players like Lowry a chance.

Scored a derby goal, started come back v Dundee, excellent at home to Braga, great play for the penalty v Dundee United, part of a squad that won the Scottish Cup and took us to the Europa League final.

All the best Ramsey, welcome back anytime.

Contributed nothing but…

It didn't work out but I wish him well.

It wasn't his fault he was subbed on at the end of the Europa final and asked to then take a penalty - for me that decision is on Gio.

I honestly don’t get the rose tinted response from folk on this. Even taking aside the penalty miss against Frankfurt he’s been a disaster of a signing.

Very rarely available for selection, not making a great impact when he does play. A posture signing from the board and I’ll be happy to see the back of the sideshow of ‘why’s Ramsey no in the squad’ etc.

Massive lesson learned from the board I hope.

I thought he'd have been a great signing but perhaps was hoping it would be the player he was at Arsenal rather than Juve for us. Was a massive gamble which unfortunately never paid off but wish him all the best wherever he goes. Would be surprised to see him back in the EPL though.
I'd have settled for the guy that plays for Wales.

The move ultimately did little for Rangers… we all knew could raise the overall quality of the team, but he wasn’t match for for the majority of the time.
Maybe the haste of Juventus to punt him out should have been a club about his general fitness?

A shame it didn’t work out but Ramsay with no injuries isn’t looking at a loan period at Ibrox as a stage in his career.

Unfortunate that he will be remember above all else now for the penalty but he looked good when he did play, and scored a few goals. Just not a Rangers player that anyone will ever get excited about in the future.. a bit like the Trevor Francis signing that just fizzled out over 6 months.

Our very own Duffy, in a couple of ways.

Arrived with huge expectations only to fail miserably.

Choked when he had the chance to become a Rangers legend.
It's not like Duffy at all. Duffy was absolutely horrendous as a player, Ramsey wasn't. He actually done fairly well when he played, it was getting fit that was his issue. Duffy cost them so many goals and points, Ramsey didn't cost us in that sense.

It's turned out to be a very poor signing but, had he maintained his fitness (don't laugh) we'd have been clamoring for the club to try to get him again next season.

Don't have any ill feeling towards him but hope this is the last time we sign someone on loan to help get their fitness up.

Hopefully it maybe calms us down a bit the next time we sign ageing players past their best.
Krancjar, Barton etc were all going to run a riot up here and look what happened.
Scottish football isn't the place to come if you think you're coming up here for an easy time and take the piss.

Hopefully it maybe calms us down a bit the next time we sign ageing players past their best.
Krancjar, Barton etc were all going to run a riot up here and look what happened.
Scottish football isn't the place to come if you think you're coming up here for an easy time and take the piss.
Can remember those two being lauded as ‘superstars’ ready to show us all what a real footballer looked like after years in the wilderness watching joirneymen. However, anyone who isn’t dazzled by the overhyped English league knew the story and predicted that those two would ultimately fail.

Having not kept up to speed with Serie A, I had little idea that Ramsey would be so underwhelming and I honestly thought that his lack of action for Juventus (given his appearances for Wales in between times) wouldn’t be too much of a hinderance to him once he got up to speed. How wrong I was.

Definitely a class footballer though with his touch, awareness, vision and desire to attack the space. I hope that he can fight back to some sort of prolonged form and it will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Back