Random foreigners conversations about Gers

I was at the top of the Empire State Building a few years ago on a Tuesday I’m sure it was and there was a guy and his wife next to me who asked me if I was going to the match on the Saturday v The Hearts , I thought that was pretty random as I drive him to every match along with my nephew.

I don’t know if this is going to be my “Uganda” moment on the forum but I’m so confused by this. I don’t know if there’s a punchline in there somewhere that I’m missing, an inside joke from a thread I’ve missed or are you talking about a family member that you were in New York with and also go to the games with?

I was going to just exit the thread without saying anything but I’ve read the post about 7 times now and I’m just making myself more confused. :(

Was working in Moscow in 1990s and got speaking to a couple of guys who worked for the Mars chocolate company. Started to talk about football and they mentioned that while based in Eindhoven in the late 1970s they went to see PSV against the Famous - a game that we all would have love to have been at.

Did one of those 32andme DNA kits and had a connection (4th cousin) who id never met add me and started chatting away to try and wittle down what side of the family we were related on and to see how far we could go back using surnames etc.

He was from Peru and when he found out i was Scottish the first thing said to me was that he loves Rangers. Basically said him and his mates used to finish uni early most days and would go watch European matches and get pissed in a wee pub and him and his mates really liked the strips so chose to ‘follow’ us.

Must be something in the blood.

I don’t know if this is going to be my “Uganda” moment on the forum but I’m so confused by this. I don’t know if there’s a punchline in there somewhere that I’m missing, an inside joke from a thread I’ve missed or are you talking about a family member that you were in New York with and also go to the games with?

I was going to just exit the thread without saying anything but I’ve read the post about 7 times now and I’m just making myself more confused. :(
Yes mate that’s the one

We were in Bucharest for Unirea Urziceni game on a bus from the airport to the city centre. Tunisian guy points towards my Rangers top and says to me Hamed Namouchi. He spoke decent English so we asked for directions to our hotel as we didn't have a clue where to get off. He ended up getting off the bus with us, he grabbed us a taxi and got it to drop us off right at our hotel door without the driver ripping us off and charging tourist prices. We gave the lad money to get a few beers and to get the taxi to drop him off at his destination as a thank you.

Was in Prague for a stag doo a few years ago and some steaming Czech (i think) guy heard the accent and asked if we supported Rangers. Then him and his mate started screaming Rule Britannia at the top of their lungs and charged off into the night singing away.

When I was in Prague of all places people would should out "Rangers" to me (before the racist carry on). Everyone knows The Famous.

Coronado, San Diego. American Guy that parked the cars heard me speaking to taxi driver when arriving at hotel. Asks me if I support the Gers, says We Are the People, loves the Rangers.

Walking through Nah Trang in Vietnam, when a motor bike that was speeding past suddenly hit the brakes, done a U turn, and shouted “love the top” :))

Working alongside a random Austrian in 2000 who thought we were going to win the CL after scudding his team, Sturm Graz, 5-0 in match 1, and beating Monaco away 1-0 in match 2.

Little did we know what the next 4 games would bring us.

Sturm Graz eventually won the group and we never even qualified after taking maximum points from our first two games.

Graz lost their 1st 2 games 5/0 and we won our 1st 2 games and yet they qaulified and wee didn't.

They absolutely worship Dado. The head waiter in our hotel in Lake Garda asked if I liked football. I hardly had Rangers out of my mouth before off he goes about Dado and that was him being my BFF all week. :))

Another was a girl in a sports shop in Budapest trying to get me to buy a Ferencvaros full top. I told her “too much green and white, I’m a Rangers fan”
“Ah, you are a Proddy. I understand!”

I’ll assume some of you lot got there before I did. :p
Sitting at a beach bar, me, lady humbug and a well-oiled Swede in his 60's at a table adjacent to us. First thing in broken English,
where are you from?
Glasgow.
Rangers or Celtc?
Rangers.
Ah good, while prodding his chest, like me protestant!

I was in Munich for a stag do in 2015. Was at the 1860 Munich game on the Friday night.

At half time I was out buying beers and three young lads asked me - in broken English - if I would get them beer as they had been knocked back

Got them a pint each and asked if they were 1860 fans. They said no they were students from Naples and were Napoli fans. Asked me what team I supported and I said "Rangers"

One of them pointed at me and shouted excitedly "SASA PAPAC!!" :))

Its one of the most random moments of my life
1860 Munich. Remember their name from years ago. Beaten by West Ham 1965 ECWC at Wembley.

Was in Aya Nation early 90s having breakfast in a cafe across from our hotel. Had my Gers top on and the owner said I know Durrant. I was like ok thinking he was talking shit. He then brought me over a photo of Durrant with his missus and another couple sitting in said cafe from the previous month. Even stayed in same digs as me. Was gutted i wasn’t there the same time as him.

My other team is Recreativo de Huelva and I go out to see them whenever I can. This is due to being friendly with a Spanish family from Huelva. My son & I went out to watch them and were waiting in the queue to buy our tickets, he was wearing his Rangers top and I had on a Gers polo shirt. A guy who was suited and booted appeared at the head of the queue, looked up and down the queue and pointed at us and much to our surprise started shouting Nacho Novo, Nach Novo. Manolo our Spanish family member started talking to him and laughing. The guy produced 2 tickets & gave the to us then Manolo explained. He was a Gatafe fan down in Huelva on business and as wee Nacho was playing for them he recognised our strips. Recrè were charging €39 a ticket which was quite a bit for segunda division tickets as they were trying to encourage season tickets. So we'll done Nacho as he saved me €78.

Did you go and see the Grave of the "Man who never was" his name was Martin who featured in the film and was awarded the MM medal postumanuly (spelling?)

I'm at a tech conference with work this week and I've randomly heard 2 different conversations that have mentioned The Famous.

One was a Belgian guy who watched us at Ibrox win a league game in 2019 and the other a German who was at the Leipzig game.

Rudely or not, I interrupted both because I was interested in other geeks into football as it's rare.

Cool story and all that but we truly are a special club that makes an impression.

The Belgian new nothing of Raskin though :D

Was on two holidays one in Portugal and one in Florida and both times on a day boat trip.

In conversation with people not fluent in English and both times there was mention of protestant origin although not aimed at me but in their own language to the other when I said my Team is The RANGERS.

So they know the status of Scottish football.

Most likely originated from meeting plastic paddy's. They usually like to to tell the whole world what they are about.

I was at the top of the Empire State Building a few years ago on a Tuesday I’m sure it was and there was a guy and his wife next to me who asked me if I was going to the match on the Saturday v The Hearts , I thought that was pretty random as I drive him to every match along with my nephew.

So you work as a chauffeur, oh goody.

Met a Scottish guy while doing my Saturday job, he had a Rangers t shirt on. We chatted for a bit, top bloke and a cool story! If you are on here, hello! Cheltenham loyal!

The most annoying / unfortunate random conversation I had with a foreigner about Rangers was after the Progres debacle in Luxembourg, a match I had the misfortune to be at and wanted to erase from my memory forever, like every other bear.

A couple of weeks later and I'm on summer holiday with the family on a campsite somewhere in the south of France. Sitting by the pool, cold beer, minding my own business, along comes a bloke who spots my Rangers baseball cap and decides to chat. Turns out he was the media manager for Progres, he handled all press for the match, both local and Scottish press. A big fan of Progres, he was still buzzing about their result, understandably so. Pleasant enough bloke but honestly I just wanted to curl up and die, or hide in the nearest hedge.

The most annoying / unfortunate random conversation I had with a foreigner about Rangers was after the Progres debacle in Luxembourg, a match I had the misfortune to be at and wanted to erase from my memory forever, like every other bear.

A couple of weeks later and I'm on summer holiday with the family on a campsite somewhere in the south of France. Sitting by the pool, cold beer, minding my own business, along comes a bloke who spots my Rangers baseball cap and decides to chat. Turns out he was the media manager for Progres, he handled all press for the match, both local and Scottish press. A big fan of Progres, he was still buzzing about their result, understandably so. Pleasant enough bloke but honestly I just wanted to curl up and die, or hide in the nearest hedge.

They are a decent club.

Their chairman said he was dancing about his living room when Aribo scored in the final.

Did you go and see the Grave of the "Man who never was" his name was Martin who featured in the film and was awarded the MM medal postumanuly (spelling?)
Yeah and our Spanish family knew nothing about him. :)) :))
A couple of interesting facts firstly Recrè are the oldest team in Spain and were founded by a Scotsman. Secondly Christopher Columbus left from Huelva to discover the "new" world not Barcelona.

Yeah and our Spanish family knew nothing about him. :)) :))
A couple of interesting facts firstly Recrè are the oldest team in Spain and were founded by a Scotsman. Secondly Christopher Columbus left from Huelva to discover the "new" world not Barcelona.

Sevilla were founded at a Burns Supper in Seville.

• Love
Reactions: TQ3
I was in Pattaya, Thailand a few years ago and one of the local girls asked me to go with her to what’s locally known as the Big Buddha Temple.
When we got there, there was great excitement because one of the top monks in Thailand was there handing out the blessings for the day, so we joined the queue.
When it was my turn to get hit over the head with shredded bamboo and water, the old monk asked “what country you from “?
Me, “I’m from Scotland “
Him “Edinboro”?
Me “No, I’m from Glasgow “
Him “Aaaaah, Glasgow Rangers “

I was in Pattaya, Thailand a few years ago and one of the local girls asked me to go with her to what’s locally known as the Big Buddha Temple.
When we got there, there was great excitement because one of the top monks in Thailand was there handing out the blessings for the day, so we joined the queue.
When it was my turn to get hit over the head with shredded bamboo and water, the old monk asked “what country you from “?
Me, “I’m from Scotland “
Him “Edinboro”?
Me “No, I’m from Glasgow “
Him “Aaaaah, Glasgow Rangers “

Just back from Morocco. The guy at reception in our hotel asked where I came from. When I said Scotland he replied "Ah Glasgow Rangers, Majid Bougherra". He confirmed Majid is coaching now but I don't know where.

Was with mixed company on a stag in hamburg when 2 of the tims that were there latched on to an aussie giving it big links about rogic, guy wasn't interested. I then said to him "f*ck that mate what about Tony vidmar" he then had a big cheeser and we got chatting about vidmar, Moore and muscat for a bit!

Was great seeing the 2 of them deflated!

I was at the Boca v River Plate derby and they saw that I was wearing a Rangers shirt and the ref stopped the game and the whole crowd started singing The Billy Boys.

True story.
I remember seeing a video of this happen it was truly amazing you got brought down onto the pitch and orchestrated the entire stadium. I’ve never seen someone control a crowd of that size in the manner that you did. I still get goosebumps thinking about it to this day.

Last edited:
Behind the Iron Curtain, as it was in those days, and this Danish fellow started raving on about Kai Johansen when he found out about my allegiance.

I've got quite a few of these type of stories, but here's one I haven't put on here before.

The squaw and I were in San Diego in I 2013 and went on a dinner cruise in the bay. On the left of us were an older, but, very good looking black couple. On the right a young couple, and across from us a couple who I didn't really speak to. The missus was talking to the black fella and suddenly she nudged me and the black guy says " So what has happened to The Rangers?". It turns out he was a doctor from Barbados and had done his training in Kilmarnock, Mull and Skye and couldn't understand why we'd been put down to the bottom division. The young guy to my right, who I had realised was mostly able to understand my thick Lanarkian accent, said " Yeah- what's going on there?". Turned out he was in the military and was in a unit with a welshman who happened to be a bluenose. He was right into sawker- Man U fan- and we blethered for ages, much to the bemusment of his girlfriend who couldn't understand a word I said.

That holiday was full of this sort of thing, including meeting a guy who played with Richard Gough in a amateur team.

Back