Rangers’ Euro opponents Standard Liege in Covid sweat after three Brugge players test positive following weekend clash

mdingwall

Administrator

STANDARD LIEGE stopper Noe Dussenne insists he's desperate to make up for lost time against Rangers after fighting his way back into the team following his knee injury hell.

Rangers kick off their Europa League Group Stages campaign in Belgium this week against Standard Liege at their Stade Maurice Dufrasne home.

Brugge had positive coronavirus results following Standard Liege clash
Brugge had positive coronavirus results following Standard Liege clashCredit: Reuters
While the Light Blues were comfortably beating Old Firm rivals Celtic on Saturday, Standard were holding Belgian champions Club Brugge to a home draw.
And 28-year-old defender Dussenne, who missed almost the whole of last season with a cruciate knee injury, believes Standard are full of confidence ahead of the visit from Steven Gerrard's men.

SCOTTISH FOOTBALL LIVE: All the latest stories, transfers and opinions from the SPFL

He said: "I had a difficult start to the season because I wasn't playing and I wasn't happy with it. I thought I deserved to be in the team.
"But I forced my way into the side and I haven't looked back. Everything is going well for me and the team.

"I think we are improving every week. We are playing three at the back and I think we have a good understanding.

STRUCK GOLD Punter wins £1,500 from Goldson to score double in RAngers' win over Celtic

"We have started the season in good form both in the league and with European football. It's vital we get off to a good start when we play Rangers this week."
Meanwhile, Standard are facing a sweat after three Brugge players tested positive for Covid after their weekend clash.

Brugge took their UEFA tests on the morning of the game ahead of their Champions League clash with Zenit St Petersburg this week and it was later revealed that former Liverpool keeper Simon Mignolet, Odilon Kossounou and Michael Krmencik had all tested positive having played in the game, along with their chief executive, Vincent Mannaert.

Standard players will have their tests tomorrow ahead of the game with Rangers.

Are the UEFA rules on this the same as the league cup, i.e. 13 players or a 0-3 forfeit?

Its only a matter of time before we get positive cases now so might aswell make the most of a decimated opposition while we can.

you need to be in close contact for 15 consecutive mins, that isn’t the case during a game, they’ve looked at it and it’s only a couple of mins at most so the risk is minimal.
Absolutely correct. Saw an article explaining how long players were actually in ‘close contact’ over the course of a match and it didn’t come close to the 15 minute threshold. That doesn’t mean there’s zero risk of anything being passed on, of course.

What I worry about is somebody getting infected during a trip and then being in close contact with thewhole squad during the journey home. Gives me the jitters.

What I worry about is somebody getting infected during a trip and then being in close contact with thewhole squad during the journey home. Gives me the jitters.

It's pretty inevitable unfortunately.
I think the virus is the biggest threat to our having a very successful season.
All we can do is take all precautions possible and keep our fingers crossed.

Back