Rangers’ Flanagan works with Scots boxing icon Billy Nelson as he offers to train full Gers team

BlueMeanie

The morons are all over the comments already .

SCOTS boxing legend Billy Nelson has praised Rangers ace Jon Flanagan and even offered to train all of his team-mates too.

The Gers defender trained with renowned boxing coach Nelson this morning as he stepped up extra fitness work to get back into the first team.

Opportunities in Steven Gerrard's side have been few and far between for the 26-year-old as he battles back from injury.

He recently featured in the Rangers Colts side who beat Wrexham 2-0 in the Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Cup last week.But Nelson, was full of kind words for the Scouser, and admits he would love to help out Gerrard's men gain an extra edge in the title race over Celtic.Speaking to SunSport, he said: "It was his first day, so we did an hour session but he's intending on coming to the gym on a regular basis every week.

"Undoubtedly it will help with his upper-body strength and it can benefit other sportsmen too.

"Boxing training is the hardest you can do. He will use muscle groups that he won't in football.

"He's a confident athlete. I think he's done a bit of boxing before when he was a kid in Liverpool so he's got the basics there.

"We did around six rounds on the pads, some circuit training and skipping - his fitness levels are very high obviously.

"A very nice guy. I met him through a mutual friend and I think we're going to try and get some other Rangers players involved in it.

"I was asked about five or six years ago when I trained Ricky Burns if I would be available to train Rangers players on a weekly basis.

"Nothing ever really materialised from it but I'd be delighted to help them."

Billy has trained some of the country's top boxers over the years at the Engage Boxing Gym in Greengairs, near Cumbernauld.

The aforementioned Ricky Burns, as well as Willie Limon, Paul Appleby and David Brophy.

And the busy coach went into more specific detail about where players like Flanagan can improve from the extra training.

He added: "Jon punches more than adequately but as I say, I think that's because of the stuff he did when he was kid.

"More importantly for me, he's a nice guy and he's willing to learn about a new sport.

"I remember we took a Scottish boxing football team to play in England for a charity game.

"Ricky Hatton was playing and so was Ricky Burns, the Scottish team won that year!

"My friend was the centre-half that day, and Paul Smith, who was Super middleweight champion of Britain at the time, played for their team.

"My mate went up for a header against him and he said 'Billy it was like hitting a bit of Iron'."

"So if these football players can get the same effect by doing a bit of extra training then it can only be beneficial to them.

"Fair play to him doing additional training - if there were more players like him they'd probably be more successful."

Will our sports science people be happy with this.
As the man says, it’s different training and different muscle groups.
I always thought training was targeted these days.

Bring him in to train the team before games against Livingston............Motherwell..............Hearts..............Aberdeen............
Fuck it, hire him full time.

I've been training footballers for a few years now, boxing is the most popular session we do. As Billy says its the hardest sport of all and anyone would benefit from the training imo.

Not bad, 3rd post in and the knives are out for a Rangers player from one of our own, positive story into negative. Who needs enemies, I'll informed/misguided or not you can bet if it was that mob from across the city they'd swarm any bear that dared say anything about one of our own.
Why do you get so offended that some people just don't like men who batter a woman? Spare me the "aye but but..." rubbish btw.

feel a bit sorry for Flanagan. Had really sharpened up early this season, and did us a very good turn in a number of games. However, with Borna on fire he's not had a sniff.

Just don't think he makes a good representative for the club. Just my opinion, I know a lot of people say he's paid his price etc.
I kinda agree with u not the sort of thing I like being associated with anyone at our club scum behaviour what he done but I also kind of think that most people deserve a second chance no one knows the circumstances I've never hit a woman and never would but I've had crazy ex that was mental used to attack me when she was steaming she was some ride so a stuck with it longer than a should've:) if shes over it and they're still together tells me it was a one off or she would've divorced him and took him to the cleaners

The guy is trying to get as fit as he can by putting in extra gruelling hours and some roasters are giving him shit.

Yeah Jon, rest on your laurels and have a pint. You will eventually get a chance in the first team. That bad thing you did a few years back that you paid for at the time will continue to haunt you for the rest of your life.

Good for you Jon, keep it up pal.

Of course I do. He should be nowhere near the Scotland team.
I find it strange that these threads turn into a game of whataboutery, with posters determined to defend the indefensible.

Just because a person pulls on the blue jersey, doesn't suddenly make the sun shine from their arse. It takes more than just pulling on the jersey to make a true Ranger.

I agree with you, Flanagan falls way short in my opinion. As did Gazza, despite his success on field. Christ we've had the misunderstood intellectual that is Joey Barton wear the strip as well in recent years.

Unfortunately we sometimes get lumbered with eejits, and it baffles me when folk suddenly start trying to defend scum behaviour because we have the misfortune of having them turn out for us.

feel a bit sorry for Flanagan. Had really sharpened up early this season, and did us a very good turn in a number of games. However, with Borna on fire he's not had a sniff.

He's solid enough for the most part but offers nowhere near enough going forward.

Why do you get so offended that some people just don't like men who batter a woman? Spare me the "aye but but..." rubbish btw.
I might have known that you'd be the first to jump in, moral crusader supreme. I'm not offended, I find it in poor taste that the first thought of some posters are to air their grievances with him and I expressed that opinion . Conversely those that dislike him, well that's their opinion and I accept it, just the same as it's my opinion that while what he did was shocking behaviour and even scummy, she took him back so if she's moved on what odds does it make to our support ?

Should every man that's ever hit a woman be ostracised and barred sine die whenever someone drags it up (no I've never because no doubt that would be your next smart arse comment) Is everyone to ever do it some sort of Hitler reincarnate? Do you know the facts behind the situation? It's inexcusable to hit a woman unless it's a life threatening situation and I'm sure he realises that but it's bad enough that he's getting grief from that lot without our own joining in.

I'm going to do myself a favour and put you on block once and for all, once again you make a total tit of yourself and constantly dragging posters into petty arguments by being contrary. I'm sure you've got some furious virtue signalling to get on with, I'll spare you the "ah buts"...

Fair play to him for getting stuck into the fitness training. As for his past, it is what it is - it's been done to death but ultimately he's a Rangers players and seemingly a reformed character so I'll go with the judgement of those closest to him.

best punch thrower at Ibrox ryan kent wll be hard to beat my hero done what a lot of us have been wanting to do for years manificent
It was a push, barely a punch and quite frankly an embarrassing moment that I cringe at when Rangers fans speak so highly of it. Was arguably our lowest point of last season

A post like that is always going to attract comments about his past. He must expect that in his position. I still have some issues with him being a Rangers player to be honest.
I think he really regrets it and has moved on. Horrible thing but the past is the past.

I love how people can selectively sit in judgement of someone who has made a mistake. And heaven forbid that they have ever made mistakes themselves in life. His partner, and her family have forgiven him. He has also paid a price and is trying to rebuild his career. No-one is perfect.

Phrase. let him who is without sin cast the first stone. Only those who are faultless have the right to pass judgment upon others (implying that no one is faultless and that, therefore, no one has such a right to pass judgment).

Its astounding so many people have the inability to separate things.

He did a stupid thing when he was younger. He absolutely does deserve to receive criticism. He also apologised, was forgiven and has done absolutely nothing wrong in his time here to discredit himself or the club.

How about concentrate on the fact he is trying his heart out to improve and be a part of us instead of being snide or is that the level on here these days?

you could also argue thats what seperates us from the tinks in the East.. If he plays for Rangers I will support him but I cant pretend to be ecstatic that we signed him.. he isnt even getting a game so is it worth the - PR?

Back