Rangers 0 Motherwell 2 1997

Keyser_Soze

The day the title party was put on hold. It seems to have vanished from my memory and probably rightly so given that what happened a few days later.

Any memories of this day? Only memories for me was that it was a Monday bank holiday, Owen Coyle scoring and that i though we were dead certs.

I watched it with my Granda and it seemed a bit flat. I'm sure I already owned a 9iar t-shirt too so that seemed premature.

I can remember standing outside Central Station and seeing a guy dressed up as Broxi, or maybe just a bear, despondently carrying his head in his hands.

I remember it started off as a nice sunny party day, then a big bloody cloud engulfed Ibrox and just sat there.

I remember flying up with my mate from London that morning and later walking by Queens St and there was fighting outside O'Neill's. Ended up in the Murray pub in East Kilbride for a Sash Bash.

That was the hardest part of that season getting it over the line after we beat the mentally challengeds at the sex offenders stadium in March.

I remember it was a full house, live on the telly playing against Motherwell who were fighting relegation and thinking what could go wrong?

The feeling I had after the game was not far from the one I had a year later when Killie beat us.

Was a massive let down , went out and got bladdered in the Nile after it , ended up in some state think I was trying to blot out the result. Fortunately we did it at tannadice but that day was just an utter abomination . I didn’t make work the next day either.

Motherwell deserved to beat us tbh,I think we played as if we only needed to turn up.
Ended up a bit of a flat day but I still got drunk.
Main thing is,the job was done a few days later with an iconic goal from a very iconic player.
Great memories of that period.

I went to Finleys in Shawlands after game, flat atmosphere until the drink kicked in. My wife couldn't believe we hadn't won because I was absolutely rat arsed. Had to give away my ticket for Tannadice as I was down south on business.
My son and his mate went on Clarkston RSC bus. Sash bash on way up, same on way home for a wee while, then quiet.

I was in Pattaya in Thailand with work and I saw a local reading a paper, on the front page was an action picture of the game with Gazza surrounded by Motherwell players. Never saw the game. Remember it as if it was yeaterday.

Only real memory was being pished before it, was in the pig and whistle before the game and there must have been about a dozen in the round, not a great day out, up the road early blitzed.
Was there not meant to be a march to George’s square if we won?

I think Man U had a chance to win their league that day and mucked it up as well. Seem to remember their game finished before we kicked off. I remember there was a good atmosphere outside before the game and telling my 7 year old son to remember this day. Later on told him to forget it, as it was such a letdown.

Was at this with my uncle as a wide eyed 11 year old. Remember being absolutely gutted as i was sure i was going see Rangers clinch the 9.
Boat got delayed on way home so spent hours hanging around stranraer in a wee shitty pub watching the world snooker final!

I couldn’t believe how flat the team were that day. Full house and the expectation of a humungous party, and it all went tits up.

I was properly disgusted & passed up on a swally in Partick after it. Stormed up the road in a huff :))

I was in a pub in Ladbroke Grove with an auld pal Dougal from Galston, we had a bottle of champagne on ice and were well on the booze.

After the game he headed home while I went the other way to get the tube at Ladbroke Grove tube station.

The last thing I remember was some young fellas crossing the road towards me and asking me for a fag.

I woke up in hospital with stitches where I had been stabbed, I discovered later that I had been fighting with them all the way to the tube station as they were trying to mug me, they had me backed up against a shop doorway and that’s when I got stabbed.

I was in a pub in Ladbroke Grove with an auld pal Dougal from Galston, we had a bottle of champagne on ice and were well on the booze.

After the game he headed home while I went the other way to get the tube at Ladbroke Grove tube station.

The last thing I remember was some young fellas crossing the road towards me and asking me for a fag.

I woke up in hospital with stitches where I had been stabbed, I discovered later that I had been fighting with them all the way to the tube station as they were trying to mug me, they had me backed up against a shop doorway and that’s when I got stabbed.
Bloody hell mate, puts everything into perspective as I thought I had a sh1t day that day, glad you survived to tell the tale

We were lethargic. I remember Durrant gave away the penalty. Laudrup was at the heart of anything good we did as was the case all season, which included this chance for Albertz

3f59e364-a6f4-45f0-86c1-e8731d6f12fa.gif

This run

ebb1c50a-3b8f-4eb5-8b15-df3c9cade7ce.gif

And I remember being dumbfounded when Gazza missed an absolute sitter to level it up

9dff79a5-d05e-4c4f-99dd-e25a41d25f96.gif

Horrible day, but tannadice was soon to follow which would bring one of the greatest days of my Rangers supporting life. 9 in a row won on the park the way it should be, Gough’s tears, a packed George Square, huge celebrations and great times all round.

The Wednesday night I listened on the radio and was overjoyed as The Prince of Denmark did the biz.

Afterwards I went to Asda in Govan for a bottle of champers then headsd for the District Bar to celebrate and it was empty.

Asked where everyone was, the barman said they'd all headed into George Square as that's where the team were going to gather with our fans.

Only real memory was being pished before it, was in the pig and whistle before the game and there must have been about a dozen in the round, not a great day out, up the road early blitzed.
Was there not meant to be a march to George’s square if we won?
I remember being at the game, which was a massive let down but the team made up for it at Tannadice!!
Also seem to remember that a march from Ibrox to George Square was planned after the Motherwell game, if we had won?!

League title on the line, and we were forced to play Monday & Wednesday, similar to New Year with the late Thursday night kick off, and 3pm Saturday.

Typical Scottish Football.

As for the game, dreadful performance, looked like we'd forgotten a game was to be won. We'd put five past them in the second half on their last visit to Ibrox

Last edited:
I was in the Broomy that day with the away fans.
Absolute boot of a woman from Motherwell made it very difficult for two young girls when she spotted their Rangers tops under their jackets.
So much so, that their father just up and left taking them with him, after only seeing about 20 minutes of the game.
Probably the best thing to do, as it was a really damp squib of a day.

Me and my mate went all out for the party, face paint the lot. Supporters bus dropped us off in the town centre after the game and we had to walk home, feeling very sheepish.

I think the team expected to just turn up and win that day.

Was in my seat in Govan rear, can’t even remember the Gazza miss, I just remember having this overwhelming feeling that it was not going to happen that day
I had met a mate outside before the game, he had just bought a big floppy felt hat but had it under his arm as he didn’t want to jinx it :(

League title on the line, and we were forced to play Monday & Wednesday, similar to New Year with the late Thursday night kick off, and 3pm Saturday.

As for the game, dreadful performance, looked they'd forgotten a game was to be won. We'd put five past them in the second half on their last visit to Ibrox
It was awful. A party atmosphere pre match but the team looked liked they couldn't be arsed putting on a show for the game. Perhaps they reckoned Motherwell would just roll over.

Was a Monday Bank Holiday and was ready to party.

Dad and myself in GF4 on the Monday afternoon, had told the bus we would not be back, we were going to George Sq.
What a disappointment that day was. :(
I had a ticket for Tannadice, old man didn't.
Thanks to Basil (he knows who he is) gave him mine and he gave me two right behind the goal.
Dad died 3 years ago, and i can still see his face from that night.
After the game we went up to the usual boozer we went to in Dundee for a refreshment.
Have always said some of us should not have been driving that night.:eek:
Back to George Sq, then home to a party, watching highlights with Sir Richard in tears.
Magic boys, I remember him saying in the dressing room.
Was also at Tynecastle on the Saturday last game of the season when we got a bit of a doing but Walter explaining, players are still pissed.:))
A very young Barry Ferguson starting that game.
Dad took my son to the beam back at Ibrox, and I made it back to see the celebrations before the helicopter carrying our players got back.

Wonderful times.

As for the game, dreadful performance, looked they'd forgotten a game was to be won. We'd put five past them in the second half on their last visit to Ibrox

The Dundee United game only ended then due to their Scottish Cup Semi-final going a replay on 23rd April - Dundee United v Rangers date

As for Motherwell game yes it was weird day both on the park and off it as you say we looked like we had forgotten how to win it was long 3 week build up as well after winning at Raith 6-0 on 15th April nad us expect to party after it

I think Man U had a chance to win their league that day and mucked it up as well. Seem to remember their game finished before we kicked off. I remember there was a good atmosphere outside before the game and telling my 7 year old son to remember this day. Later on told him to forget it, as it was such a letdown.

Yes they did drew 3-3 with Middlesbrough at Old Trafford won it the next night as Newcastle failed to win

It’s was very weird as afterwards I went home and tried to revise for Standard Grade English the next day.

The day the title party was put on hold. It seems to have vanished from my memory and probably rightly so given that what happened a few days later.

Any memories of this day? Only memories for me was that it was a Monday bank holiday, Owen Coyle scoring and that i though we were dead certs.
In some ways it was a good day for me it meant that the bar stewards who knew before the Motherwell match that I had spare tickets for Tannadice and turned them down to leave me out of pocket were crawling over each other to get their hands on one of them. Before anyone asks I parted with the spares for face value.

I remember flying up with my mate from London that morning and later walking by Queens St and there was fighting outside O'Neill's. Ended up in the Murray pub in East Kilbride for a Sash Bash.
There were about six filth outside O’Neill’s shouting the odds. One of them was decked by an impeccable headbutt and it spilled onto the street. A group came out the pub opposite (Dr Browns?) and got fired into them. One of the beggars got seriously hurt iirc.

Jings! That brings back memories. Was an absolute crap day after being so nice. Elation to dejection. Was nightshift when we won the league. Was marvellous, but, I felt a wee bit sorry for myself lol

Dad and myself in GF4 on the Monday afternoon, had told the bus we would not be back, we were going to George Sq.
What a disappointment that day was. :(
I had a ticket for Tannadice, old man didn't.
Thanks to Basil (he knows who he is) gave him mine and he gave me two right behind the goal.
Dad died 3 years ago, and i can still see his face from that night.
After the game we went up to the usual boozer we went to in Dundee for a refreshment.
Have always said some of us should not have been driving that night.:eek:
Back to George Sq, then home to a party, watching highlights with Sir Richard in tears.
Magic boys, I remember him saying in the dressing room.
Was also at Tynecastle on the Saturday last game of the season when we got a bit of a doing but Walter explaining, players are still pissed.:))
A very young Barry Ferguson starting that game.
Dad took my son to the beam back at Ibrox, and I made it back to see the celebrations before the helicopter carrying our players got back.

Wonderful times.
That's a great wee story brother, sharing that with your Dad is priceless. Great days.

Was in my old Bond seat that my granny bought for me (and lost it during administration), couldnt believe how 'not up for it' the team was, and all the plans for big march before or after were wasted. But it was written in the stars to happen at Tannadice, with a left footed cross by Charlie, a header by God and Goughie in tears with the trophy. (and Gazza on the bus roof back in Glasgow). Durrant and Derek Ferguson quoted in the Open Goal interview that Gazza still had his kit on 4 days later! Wouldnt doubt it for a second.

Back