Match Thread Rangers 1 (Arfield) Livingston 0 FT

I cannot work out why he did not bring on Edmonson for the last 10 minutes as it was clear and obvious that Livi were going to punt the ball forward. Having another 6 ft plus defender in there would have been helpful....

I cannot work out why he did not bring on Edmonson for the last 10 minutes as it was clear and obvious that Livi were going to punt the ball forward. Having another 6 ft plus defender in there would have been helpful....
Agreed. In present form I don't think there's any shame in us seeing out a 1-0 win.

Was a bit annoyed at Tav when they hit the post, his terrible cross was cut out and cleared forward for Jack and Arfield to mop up and eventually play back down the wing and he was still standing next to Hagi. By the time Dykes was hitting his shot he was still 40 yards from goal. He needs to learn hold his runs late in the game if he's not gonna have the energy to race back

Far from brilliant, but a win was the most important thing after our recent slide. Again though we looked ponderous and tried too hard to be perfect rather than be incisive. Too much emphasis on passing over speed. Our problems are tactical and the gaffer needs to take a look at himself and his coaching staff as much as at the players for the solution. That could easily have been 1-1 today and more points dropped as Livi missed a cracking chance late on. That was only one of several occassions when they caught us napping on the counter. This might sound strage, but I think we're missing Kamara with the defensive balance he brings to the midfield, his ability to retain the ball (more often than not), and distribution. Although undoubtedly a class act, Hagi coming straight into the side has changed our balance. Whilst he has certainly contributed it might have been better to let him watch from the sidelines for a few weeks and earn a start in training, rather than be given the shirt immediately. The side that won at the piggery should have been the side that started against St. Mirren. In fairness, it also could have been 3-0 for us today, had their keeper not pulled off a brilliant save from Halliday, and Alfie not been so greedy when Arfield looked better positioned for a shot. The Canadian is on a great run of form and you'd have stuck your wages on him grabbing his second there.

MOTM: Andy Halliday. The guy is much maligned these days, but I thought he put in a terrific shift today. There's been a lot of talk on here recently about 'lack of heart' in the players. I don't buy it, and evidence was there when Andy put his body on the line to win us a corner. The guy bleeds blue (although it was red today) and has shown in the past two games that he is adequate cover for Borna for the remained of the season.

WATP!

p.s. I forgot to add, yet ANOTHER shocking performance by the officials. A good goal chopped off and a penalty denied. However, both paled in comparison to a shocking studs-up challenge on Goldson only being penalized with a yellow card. The linesman was four feet away and looking straight at it, yet did nothing. Once more the Scottish referee makes decision based on his OPINION rather than apply the rules as they stand. Two similar late challenges, one on Katic, one on Hagi, also went unpunished. It's disgusting. Brutality is more deemed worthy in Scotland than skill. It's no wonder the national side are a mess. The club need to stop talking and start taking action because we cannot hope to succeed when referees make things up as they go along. We are a member of an association which has laws and rules. Surely legal action must surely be an option when those rules are openly ignored.

Last edited:
Tough again to watch. Should have been at least one red card for Livingston. Offside apart could have had at least one more. Schofield saved them on a few occasions to prevent it being more. The post and crossbar and McGregor saved us as well. I'll take the 3 and move on.

In other words, the team have shipped points for fun since the winter break. Fantastic idea. Kent needs dropped, he's been useless for weeks. He's not the only one. Kamberi and Stewart can offer more.
Start with these 10 players Greegsy,Tav,Goldson,Katic/Helander,Barisisc,Davis,Jack,Kamara,Hagi,Morelos and Kent plus one other from Hagi,Arfield or Aribo. I`d start with Hagi and I think SG will start with that on Thursday, Today we finished the game with 7 from this 10 and were a post width away from dropping another 2league pts from a winning position(that would have been 10 in total).Those 10 players plus Hagi lets see how close that is to Thursdays line up.Start with the strongest 11 it`s not rocket science.

Not a great crowd.looked more like 35000 rather than 48000.
Will need to improve for Thursday otherwise we could be embarrassed

Not a great crowd.looked more like 35000 rather than 48000.
Will need to improve for Thursday otherwise we could be embarrassed
To be fair a lot of folk won't have been able to make it after the postponement yesterday.

Thought we played alright to be honest and should have been more if it wasn't for the standard poor refereeing.

Just in from game and although happy with the points we seem to have become very ponderous with ball since we came back from the break.haven't a clue why though,we just seem to have lost a yard all over the pitch:(

Katic was turned on the halfway line exactly the same as he was by cosgrove. When is helander back?

Happy with the points, see Morelos getting grief from people online, sure he's not been unplayable but he should have 3 goals in recent games instead of 1. His switch for Arfield Today was brilliant, unlucky Arf didn't score it, he slide in about 2 or 3 balls for near goals as well.

There are far more pressing issues like Kent and our lack of width, overlaps and closing down as a team. Its embarrassing that every game Goldson has to hoof balls up top or diagonal when we have a packed midfield.

Something’s not right. How come we shafted the mentally challengeds in their own back yard and now we struggle week in, week out?
Sure, Tav and Jack missing for a spell, Alfie out for 2 games and so on. Such changes should not have disrupted the squad’s rhythm. Instead, we should all be talking how we have kicked on and have been playing brilliantly. It’s been the opposite. We as a support need to know the reasons behind this slump in form.

Schofield's desperation for a clean sheet was broken when Arfield slipped one in after 61 mins to sighs of relief all round.

p.s. I forgot to add, yet ANOTHER shocking performance by the officials. A good goal chopped off and a penalty denied. However, both paled in comparison to a shocking studs-up challenge on Goldson only being penalized with a yellow card. The linesman was four feet away and looking straight at it, yet did nothing. Once more the Scottish referee makes decision based on his OPINION rather than apply the rules as they stand. Two similar late challenges, one on Katic, one on Hagi, also went unpunished. It's disgusting. Brutality is more deemed worthy in Scotland than skill. It's no wonder the national side are a mess. The club need to stop talking and start taking action because we cannot hope to succeed when referees make things up as they go along. We are a member of an association which has laws and rules. Surely legal action must surely be an option when those rules are openly ignored.
Agree with this 100%.

Poor, weak and inconsistent refereeing has cost us badly so far this season.

It has become completely ridiculous now and I can only wonder what Gerrard and his back-room team make of it.

I'd like to think that the club take action sooner rather than later about it.

Was at the game today and I thought that both the Morelos and Kamberi goals were not offside. Watching it back on the tv tonight, I see I was right. Add in the stonewall penalty denied and we should have at least won 3-0.

What chance do we have? None.

As for referees, there is not a shadow of doubt that they avoid Lenny's frenzied reactions. Not to mention the odd nutter of their fans who threaten refs.

It's nice to be nice Stevie G but Lenny would not have been so nice today! And it works for him!

No internet because of damn storm, so had to rely on the limited radio updates.

3 points was vital, and it just goes to show the quick reschedule was a really really good call.

Back