Rangers 1 Celtic 0 : League Cup Final 1970

The Meik's Crombie

Sam English will probably be on shortly with his very interesting “On This Day” series to tell us that this is the 47th. anniversary of the 1970 League Cup Final so I thought I would jot down a few memories about the day.

Since the Scottish Cup final win of 1966, Rangers had not won any of the three main domestic honours although came agonisingly close to winning the ECWC in Nuremburg in 1967. Although we were able to beat Celtic as often as they beat us in the league between their league win in 1965-66 and 1968-1969 (indeed in 1965-66 and 1966-67, one more league game win against Celtic would have meant we were champions), we lost vital points to teams who we should have been able to beat comfortably.

The footballing disasters of Berwick and the Scottish Cup Final defeat in 1968-69 against Celtic took its toll. By 1969-1970, we had sacked Davie White after he had been in charge for about 2 years and Willie Waddell had returned to become our manager. The season fizzled out after another difficult defeat at the hands of Celtic in the Scottish Cup quarter final after Alex MacDonald had been sent off.

During and towards the end of 1969-1970, players such as Kai Johansen, Davie Provan, Orjan Persson and, in his second spell at the club, Jim Baxter were being replaced. By the start of 1970-1971, Sandy Jardine had been moved permanently to right back and players such as Alex Miller, Graham Fyfe, Alfie Conn and Derek Johnstone were starting to feature more frequently.

Although we had another inconsistent start to the league campaign including a 2-0 defeat at Parkhead (Bobby Murdoch unfortunately scoring an absolute screamer), we had a successful time in the League Cup section games. Two 3-1 victories in a two legged quarter final against Hibs (with Joe McBride getting a right sherricking throughout the Ibrox game) set us up for a straightforward semi-final win against Cowdenbeath. Celtic awaited.

Although I had seen us beat Celtic at Parkhead in a Glasgow Cup semi-final in 1969, the League Cup Final was my first chance to see us lift silverware and to beat them in a major competition. It was only when I saw our team being led out by Ronnie McKinnon at Hampden did I realise that John Greig, who had carried us through some difficult times, was not playing.

While I do not claim to have a photographic memory of the game, I do remember feeling nervous throughout. This feeling has never left me in 47 years of watching Rangers / Celtic games. We played well in the first half and I cannot remember Celtic doing that much. Rangers looked quite dangerous and Colin Stein, who was a big favourite of mine, was playing well. In the 40th. minute, we scored. The move started from Willie Henderson who passed the ball to Alex MacDonald in the centre circle. Wee Alex passed to Willie Johnston who was on the right wing for some reason. He ran for a few yards and crossed a great ball into Derek Johnstone who was between McNeill and Craig. I was just right of centre in the Rangers End and had a great view of big Derek’s header arrowing into the right hand corner past Evan Williams’ outstretched hand. Cue an explosion of unrestrained joy.

The terracing at Hampden at the time consisted of wooden frames infilled with black ash. We had a cover on the Rangers end by the time which was very helpful as it had been raining during the game. However, this also meant the ash was bone dry. Untold thousands of feet jumping up and down at the goal caused a cloud of ash dust to rise into the atmosphere.

The second half started with the knot in TMC’s stomach beginning to tighten again. I don’t remember too much about the second half other than Willie Wallace ballooning a great chance over the bar and Macari claiming for a penalty. With a couple of minutes left, Colin Stein burst into the penalty area and shot across Evan Williams only for the ball to rebound from the far post and back into the arms of the keeper. That same post improved with age and got its angles right almost 2 ½ years later at the build up to Tom Forsyth’s goal in the 1973 Scottish Cup Final.

It does not matter what age you are but anyone on the forum who has been to a Rangers / Celtic game when we are leading with a few minutes left must appreciate how tense the last few minutes were. Eventually, Mr. Wharton blew the final whistle and the dust cloud returned.

I did not even know where the Cup was to be presented but after an old guy (who was probably younger then than I am now), pointed out where the trophy was, we saw Ronnie McKinnon appear and take hold of the trophy. He turned around to the Rangers End and with one hand lifted the trophy high above his head. My first sight of silverware and Rangers first trophy in four years.

Our team that day was : -

Peter McCloy

Sandy Jardine

Alex Miller

Alfie Conn

Ronnie McKinnon

Colin Jackson

Willie Henderson

Alex MacDonald

Derek Johnstone

Colin Stein

Willie Johnston

Sub : Graham Fyfe

Yes I was there. Thanks for filling in the memories that the sands of time have caused me to forget. I was 20 at the time and I am pretty sure we just paid at the gate. ....anyway cheers for your thread.

The first siverware I saw us lift and having been at my first Cup Final in 1969 it removed,at least in part, some bad memories. I loved big DJ from that moment on. I seem to remember Willie Henderson having a very good game.

Listened to the game as a kid on my parents' radiogram. The feeling when DJ netted was extraordinary.

First time I saw us lift a trophy and beat them. Having just turned 16 I felt a real affinity with DJ and some of the other young players being given opportunities by Waddell. My memory is that it poured all day but nothing could have dulled the enjoyment of the day.

As with all things football, for me, this game set up the high that paved the way for the introduction to the depth of dispair. This followed the same season with the disappointment of the cup final replay defeat. There were tears and tantrums after that game probably exacerbated by the fact we played them off the park in the first game yet needed a last minute equaliser from big DJ to force the replay. Memory suggests that Penman was superb that day and that Bud missed a sitter from a distance akin to Forsyth’s winner a few years later.

I listened to it as a kid too. Only the second half was on the radio. But the programme started around half-time with a recording of David Francey describing DJ's first-half goal. Will never forget hearing it - "a great header and a goal! A goal by young Derek Johnstone!" - an absolutely magical moment.

I was at the game and the OP's account is pretty much how I remember it although I was in what is now the North Stand, although it was terracing at that time.
I can still remember the shock at John Greig being missing and a relatively unknown teenager playing in big Derek.
What a moment when that header went in.

I wasn't at the game, but we stayed in Croftfoot then and me and my pals went up to King's Park to hear the crowd, as another poster said, only the second half was on the radio. We knew there had been a goal. There was a chorus of "we shall not be moved" and waited to hear who came after the Hibs, the Hearts when we heard the Celtic we started jumping about. We listened nervously to the second half. It was the first silverware we could really appreciate.

My .first old firm game. My dad and I were up in the old North stand. I can still see it as though it was yesterday. My youngest brother was born 2 months later and myself and my other brother were allowed to pick the name of the latest addition. It was a no brainer much to my dad's delight. I recently managed to pick up the match programme, delighted, it brings back happy memories.

Was there with the old yin that day, I was 12.
North enclosure right in line with DJ's header.
Outstanding.
Stayed in Croftfoot at the time, don't know how many times the old man had a wee dig at me going up Carmunock Road that day.
Furfuxake son stop smiling, settle down we are surrounded by them.

Another of the highlights of that game (LCF) was with 2 minutes remaining, Wullie Johnston, taking the ball up the left wing then sitting on it! Timmy was not happy . . .

Central Station had a running news display up above the old destination boards that was pretty flash (sic) for the time. As the football specials poured celebrating Rangers fans on the concourse, everyone waited until the result worked it's way along the board - the cheers were deafening and we let quite a few trains home go as thousands hung back to cheer the result. We Want The Rangers!!!!

Sam English will probably be on shortly with his very interesting “On This Day” series to tell us that this is the 47th. anniversary of the 1970 League Cup Final so I thought I would jot down a few memories about the day.

Since the Scottish Cup final win of 1966, Rangers had not won any of the three main domestic honours although came agonisingly close to winning the ECWC in Nuremburg in 1967. Although we were able to beat Celtic as often as they beat us in the league between their league win in 1965-66 and 1968-1969 (indeed in 1965-66 and 1966-67, one more league game win against Celtic would have meant we were champions), we lost vital points to teams who we should have been able to beat comfortably.

The footballing disasters of Berwick and the Scottish Cup Final defeat in 1968-69 against Celtic took its toll. By 1969-1970, we had sacked Davie White after he had been in charge for about 2 years and Willie Waddell had returned to become our manager. The season fizzled out after another difficult defeat at the hands of Celtic in the Scottish Cup quarter final after Alex MacDonald had been sent off.

During and towards the end of 1969-1970, players such as Kai Johansen, Davie Provan, Orjan Persson and, in his second spell at the club, Jim Baxter were being replaced. By the start of 1970-1971, Sandy Jardine had been moved permanently to right back and players such as Alex Miller, Graham Fyfe, Alfie Conn and Derek Johnstone were starting to feature more frequently.

Although we had another inconsistent start to the league campaign including a 2-0 defeat at Parkhead (Bobby Murdoch unfortunately scoring an absolute screamer), we had a successful time in the League Cup section games. Two 3-1 victories in a two legged quarter final against Hibs (with Joe McBride getting a right sherricking throughout the Ibrox game) set us up for a straightforward semi-final win against Cowdenbeath. Celtic awaited.

Although I had seen us beat Celtic at Parkhead in a Glasgow Cup semi-final in 1969, the League Cup Final was my first chance to see us lift silverware and to beat them in a major competition. It was only when I saw our team being led out by Ronnie McKinnon at Hampden did I realise that John Greig, who had carried us through some difficult times, was not playing.

While I do not claim to have a photographic memory of the game, I do remember feeling nervous throughout. This feeling has never left me in 47 years of watching Rangers / Celtic games. We played well in the first half and I cannot remember Celtic doing that much. Rangers looked quite dangerous and Colin Stein, who was a big favourite of mine, was playing well. In the 40th. minute, we scored. The move started from Willie Henderson who passed the ball to Alex MacDonald in the centre circle. Wee Alex passed to Willie Johnston who was on the right wing for some reason. He ran for a few yards and crossed a great ball into Derek Johnstone who was between McNeill and Craig. I was just right of centre in the Rangers End and had a great view of big Derek’s header arrowing into the right hand corner past Evan Williams’ outstretched hand. Cue an explosion of unrestrained joy.

The terracing at Hampden at the time consisted of wooden frames infilled with black ash. We had a cover on the Rangers end by the time which was very helpful as it had been raining during the game. However, this also meant the ash was bone dry. Untold thousands of feet jumping up and down at the goal caused a cloud of ash dust to rise into the atmosphere.

The second half started with the knot in TMC’s stomach beginning to tighten again. I don’t remember too much about the second half other than Willie Wallace ballooning a great chance over the bar and Macari claiming for a penalty. With a couple of minutes left, Colin Stein burst into the penalty area and shot across Evan Williams only for the ball to rebound from the far post and back into the arms of the keeper. That same post improved with age and got its angles right almost 2 ½ years later at the build up to Tom Forsyth’s goal in the 1973 Scottish Cup Final.

It does not matter what age you are but anyone on the forum who has been to a Rangers / Celtic game when we are leading with a few minutes left must appreciate how tense the last few minutes were. Eventually, Mr. Wharton blew the final whistle and the dust cloud returned.

I did not even know where the Cup was to be presented but after an old guy (who was probably younger then than I am now), pointed out where the trophy was, we saw Ronnie McKinnon appear and take hold of the trophy. He turned around to the Rangers End and with one hand lifted the trophy high above his head. My first sight of silverware and Rangers first trophy in four years.

Peter McCloy

Sandy Jardine

Alex Miller

Alfie Conn

Ronnie McKinnon

Colin Jackson

Willie Henderson

Alex MacDonald

Derek Johnstone

Colin Stein

Willie Johnston

To think 6 of that team played against Celtic in our first win at Parhead in ages 10 years later. Never will that happen again, could have been 7 with Alex MacDonald having just left.

Great read. Ronnie Mackinnon was captain that day and tells the story that Waddell only told him on the morning of the game

Great memories, was 8 yo at the time and lived in Dennistoun, which if I remember correctly was a strong Rangers area. My uncle and cousin had been at the game and came to see us right after the game and the whole family spent the rest of the night celebrating. The defeat to them in 69 and was my first big memory of an old firm game so this made up for that gubbing.

Interesting to point out that that's two iconic cup finals 1970 and 1973 where we were shooting towards our own end in the first half, I was'nt there in 1970 but in 1973. The other instance I recall this was the Davie Robertson red card semi, where undoubtedly the conditions were a factor with howling wind and rain.

Another of the highlights of that game (LCF) was with 2 minutes remaining, Wullie Johnston, taking the ball up the left wing then sitting on it! Timmy was not happy . . .
Jimmy Johnstone went nuts, ran at Bud, took a fresh air swipe as Bud was pishing himself laughing.

Great memories, was 8 yo at the time and lived in Dennistoun, which if I remember correctly was a strong Rangers area. My uncle and cousin had been at the game and came to see us right after the game and the whole family spent the rest of the night celebrating. The defeat to them in 69 and was my first big memory of an old firm game so this made up for that gubbing.
That was my memory - that Dennistoun was a Rangers area. A friend went to Whitehill school and he's a good Bear. Lulu hails from there too, does she not?

Jimmy Johnstone went nuts, ran at Bud, took a fresh air swipe as Bud was pishing himself laughing.
There was a few instances of the sitting on the ball stuff in those days. I remember Hearts' Tommy Murray doing it at Ibrox - maybe 1972?

That was my memory - that Dennistoun was a Rangers area. A friend went to Whitehill school and he's a good Bear. Lulu hails from there too, does she not?
Correct. It was along time ago now but i'm sure her younger brother Gordon? was in my class at Alexandra Parade Primary.

Peter McCloy

Sandy Jardine

Alex Miller

Alfie Conn

Ronnie McKinnon

Colin Jackson

Willie Henderson

Alex MacDonald

Derek Johnstone

Colin Stein

Willie Johnston

Terrific summary mate.

Much appreciated.

I was there also although I don't remember much about the match itself apart from the goal. I remember that I was standing directly behind the goal about half way down the terracing.
That was also the very last Cup Final win that I couldn't legally celebrate properly :)

Interesting to point out that that's two iconic cup finals 1970 and 1973 where we were shooting towards our own end in the first half, I was'nt there in 1970 but in 1973. The other instance I recall this was the Davie Robertson red card semi, where undoubtedly the conditions were a factor with howling wind and rain.

Often wondered about that. Greig, McKinnon and McNeill knew how it worked. You win the toss we stay as we are.

I wasn't born until 1979 so obviously wasn't there however my Dad was. He won the raffle on the Polmont Loyal bus for Main Stand tickets so just shoved his terracing ticket in his pocket and took it home. We found it being used as a bookmark 20 years later and I still have the original unused ticket framed at home.

As I posted on a similar thread a few months ago.
My second cup final after the Scottish Cup Final the season before against them.Helped erase some painful memories .
Willie Johnston on fire and topping it all by sitting on the ball....Jim Craig had had enough by that stage.

Punching my dad as I jumped up with arms spread when DJ's header hit the net...also my first sight of tim on tim violence as they fought amongst themselves at their end of the ground.

Soaking wet day and important as the first trophy to come to Ibrox for a few years.

Waddell was the manager but I think Jock Wallace was the one who really got the players pumped up for that one.Anyone else recall stories of Jock hosing the players down with freezing cold water before getting into their strips before kick off or have I got that wrong ?

I remember the Jock Wallace cold water story. Indeed my friends and I were talking about this in recent years when watching some dire performances at Ibrox.

My first rangers v Celtic game,a memory that will last forever,great summary of that day,thank you for posting that.

To think 6 of that team played against Celtic in our first win at Parhead in ages 10 years later. Never will that happen again, could have been 7 with Alex MacDonald having just left.

An interesting stat that I never knew, was to young to go to the 70 LCF but was at the 1980 game, happy memories.

That's a remarkable stat mate.

First half Rangers were shooting towards the Rangers end, 'not the done thing old chap'.
I understand.

I looked at the 73 Scottish Cup Final on YouTube and you can see McNeill wins the toss and chooses to switch round. Maybe something to do with the wind.

Back