Rangers 2 Celtic 2 1987

i was playing football with my pal at the KGV's in renfrew with his dads wireless. We'd watch the junior games then use the goals after a match and before the net were taken down but i can clearly remember sitting at the side of a pitch waiting on a game finishing, listening to the game and there just being a massive noise.

Both sitting there then standing waiting to here what had happened then eventually we heard gough had scored.

The loudest roar I've ever experienced. That last 5 minutes was sheer bedlam.

I agree.

Amazing day & that roar was up there for me with the roar at the Mo Johnston winner against them.

My wee story about that goal was I had a really cracking new Raymond Wiel watch & when I got up the road after the game the wife asks ‘where’s your new watch’. I’d only gone & broke it in that Gough celebration didn’t I ?

The next home game a bear in the row in front said ‘any you guys lose a watch’ ?

32 years to the day we came from two down after being reduced to 9 men. Big Roberts conducting the crowd would probably have see him put away for life in Scotland today.

Raging watching this :D

McAvennie and McKnight both doing a Scott Brown special - going down holding their faces despite not being hit in the face (from what I can see) then Archdeacon slams into Roberts and he goes down holding his face and Jock Brown criticises Roberts for "Unseemly conduct".

Prick

McAvennie and McKnight both doing a Scott Brown special - going down holding their faces despite not being hit in the face (from what I can see) then Archdeacon slams into Roberts and he goes down holding his face and Jock Brown criticises Roberts for "Unseemly conduct".

Prick

McAvennie started the whole thing that day by barging into Chris Woods with unnecessary force and yet he was the only one cleared completely in court, with Woods and Butcher being found guilty and Roberts Not Proven. A total stitch-up by the authorities. Rangers were the number 1 target even then. The whole thing was blown completely over the top by the press and Procurator Fiscal and if you were to start putting players before the courts for that then nothing else would ever get done in the criminal justice system.

Look at them all running off at the end. Couldn't even be man enough to shake hands of their opponents. Id forgotten just how long Roberts was in goals for.

McAvennie started the whole thing that day by barging into Chris Woods with unnecessary force and yet he was the only one cleared completely in court, with Woods and Butcher being found guilty and Roberts Not Proven. A total stitch-up by the authorities. Rangers were the number 1 target even then. The whole thing was blown completely over the top by the press and Procurator Fiscal and if you were to start putting players before the courts for that then nothing else would ever get done in the criminal justice system.

Totally agree

One of my favourite games , I keep looking for myself in the enclosure after Goughs goal :pYou didn’t realise the noise until you watched it later great game to be at.

Just to add if anyone tells you that the crowd cannot drive a team on just point them to that match.

Last edited:

Prick

Haha Allen McShite, second only to Ian Andrews as Rangers best ever keeper.

One of my favourite games against the scum 13 yrs old with my old man up in the main stand right next to there corner in the stand we went mental when Gough scored never seen my old man celebrate like he did there faces were priceless it was like a heavy defeat for them and a massive win for us

The hairs on my arms and neck are all standing listening to the TBB and Roberts conducting it. Su f*cking perb!

Last edited:
Got chucked out of the Copland Rear that day,At 2 down I went for a slash and we scored our first,All good and well back in the game so I go running back up the stairs to my seat when this blurt jumps out and starts ranting and raving at me about coming back now that we have scored,While I was trying calm him down and explain the situation two jobsworth plods took me by the arms dragged me down the stairs and throw me out,
I wasn't bevvied so I asked the plods if I was getting lifted and one of them said I was but the other said no things were getting very heated and they were trying to calm things down,I told them to go up and tell my mates not to forget to bring my jacket with season book and wallet with them when they left,

First time I've noticed that Butcher pushes McKnight in the side and goes down like he's had a firework in the face.
Butcher doesn't even complain, just gets on with it.

Anyway, was listening to the game live on the radio..... when Gough scored we ran outside and could hear neighbours at the other end of the street cheering. A great memory.

WATP.

The loudest roar I've ever experienced. That last 5 minutes was sheer bedlam.
It was like a sonic boom !!

I was in the East Enclosure right against the tunnel , in those days the mockits got the West , when we scored we went batshit mental , we had taken abuse from monobrowed tramps all game . I'm actually in that video , wearing a red top , jumping about like a lunatic :D

32 years ago , jesus time goes fast.

I remember guys leaving after their second went in.

Wallopers!

One of the only games I can remember where a draw felt like a win.

A genuinely legendary game given everything that went on.

All the Rangers fans in my work were almost boxing with Celtic fans on the Monday morning.

That game was a complete boot on the balls to them, they were still gutted on the Monday morning.

F&ck, they are still gutted to this day.

Sick To the pot of my stomach in first half imagining a doing the size of 7.1 game then the elation at the end and absolute bedlam

My first old firm game at 11 years old. Remember walking to my seat before kick off and thinking the atmosphere was unlike anything I'd heard before.
When Gough scored the equaliser I got lifted up and thrown about by the guy sitting behind me.

I match I can’t watch without getting goosebumps and feeling emotional, even after all these years. The roar that went up when Gough scored must be the loudest roar Ibrox has ever head. The Billy Boys at the end with Roberts conducting the crowd was a special moment.

I'm sure I read that Rangers provided his lawyer for court? The scum had basically left him to get on with it. Complete joke that it ended up in court anyway.

32 Years ago. :eek:
I would have been 29.:(
What an afternoon, and what a night.
The noise after our second goal was as loud as I had heard since Sandy's goal against Bayern in 72.
Roberts playing the choir master, brilliant.

I agree.

Amazing day & that roar was up there for me with the roar at the Mo Johnston winner against them.

My wee story about that goal was I had a really cracking new Raymond Wiel watch & when I got up the road after the game the wife asks ‘where’s your new watch’. I’d only gone & broke it in that Gough celebration didn’t I ?

The next home game a bear in the row in front said ‘any you guys lose a watch’ ?
Everything about that whole day was surreal. The sendings off..to the tramps going 2 up to Superally giving us hope to the gough equaliser to Robbo conducting the Copland..absolutely nuts!

I'm sure I read that Rangers provided his lawyer for court? The scum had basically left him to get on with it. Complete joke that it ended up in court anyway.
Celtic were not going to pay for his lawyer and it was only when souness told him that we would cover it that celtic then offered (according to an interview mcavennie gave last year anyway)

I didn't even listen to the second half as I was in a mood after they went 2-0 up so went a walk to the pollok centre to get away from it only found out we got a draw while looking through the Hutchisons shop window at a tv when the score came up :)
Me and another random guy celebrating like it was a live game we were watching in the middle of the shopping centre.

It was like a sonic boom !!

I was in the East Enclosure right against the tunnel , in those days the mockits got the West , when we scored we went batshit mental , we had taken abuse from monobrowed tramps all game . I'm actually in that video , wearing a red top , jumping about like a lunatic :D

32 years ago , jesus time goes fast.
I was in the Copland rear with the old boy..even he was singing like f@ck.!!Best draw ever!

Took the no. 50 bus home after the game, got off at Corkerhill and decided to head round to the chippy looked ahead and saw a group of 19th Century Terrorists coming my way. Thought shit, I either turn back and look like a woose or keep going. Took a punch in the face for my troubles, b@stard.

The amazing thing about the noise for the equaliser is there were hundreds of fans who had left.
God knows how loud it would have been if every seat occupied!

Everything about that whole day was surreal. The sendings off..to the tramps going 2 up to Superally giving us hope to the gough equaliser to Robbo conducting the Copland..absolutely nuts!

Mental day that we will never forget Col.

We don’t like them do we ? :D

lol..Its up there with the best. I know a lot talk on here about Parma but that was crazy noise that day.Memories we will take to the grave mate.

Absolutely Col. To me, in terms of roars at goals, it’s Gough in this game v Mojo when he got that last minute winner against them. That was mental that day too :D

Back