Rangers 2 Marseille 2

Looked like we were done when Pressley made an erse of it. What a comeback it was, and as has already been mentioned, another 5 minutes and we'd have beat them. They were rattled.

Mental to think we got knocked out the European Cup that season and had never been beaten in 10 games.

Isn't it funny how we get nervous and bite our nails watching highlights of a 28 year old game we've seen 50 times before. One of my all time favourite Rangers games, although I wasn't in the stadium that night. So many great moments: the atmosphere, McSwegan's slow motion header for the first, McSwegan again with his scoop under pressure to feed Durrant on the left for the second, the Marseille player applauding Rangers at the end. Just fantastic.

They are hated for what their owner set them out to do but I think your point is lost in amongst the hate. That Marseille side would have been worthy winners as they were a world class side.
Just confirming what I said really, some hate them, I saw them with my own eyes, they played us off the park, Voller, Boksic and Deschamps to name but a few were on another level. Fantastic team.

I still say they are the best team I have ever seen at Ibrox, they didn't need to cheat. But they did.
They are hated for what their owner set them out to do but I think your point is lost in amongst the hate. That Marseille side would have been worthy winners as they were a world class side.
Watched an interview with Desailly not so long ago who said the players wanted to kill Tapie for the bribery, they would have beaten Valenciennes easily.

Then obviously the unproven CSKA stuff, that Marseille team would have won it anyway IMO.

Thanks for that OP
Feeling my age now, think I'll go have a kip on the couch

That a night, wonder if Gary has managed to extract those shorts yet

Crazy that was the first game in the CL group stage and nowadays, by this time of the year, it’s over halfway done.

It was a cracking game if perhaps a bit one sided for the most part. The substitution certainly worked with McSwegan getting the first goal and I think Durrant dropped deeper into midfield and ran the show for the last 15 minutes. One of the best atmospheres at Ibrox I can remember. Just shows even if you are being outclassed even at 0-2 the game is never over if you keep trying.

In
It was a cracking game if perhaps a bit one sided for the most part. The substitution certainly worked with McSwegan getting the first goal and I think Durrant dropped deeper into midfield and ran the show for the last 15 minutes. One of the best atmospheres at Ibrox I can remember. Just shows even if you are being outclassed even at 0-2 the game is never over if you keep trying.
Durrants driven through ball to Miko is a wonderful pass.

You think?

That player than had called pele (there the similaries end) missed an absolute sitter at the end from 6 yards when he swiped at the ball and it went through his legs.

Sauzee went close with a free kick as well right at the end.

We did well to come back from 2 down, I think winning it would have been a step too far. They were lightning quick on the break.

You think?

That player than had called pele (there the similaries end) missed an absolute sitter at the end from 6 yards when he swiped at the ball and it went through his legs.
Abedi Pele was unreal mate, I thought he had glue on his boots for the first 80mns. Their whole team collapsed when the roar went up.
Rudi Voller was immense, I still feel privileged to have seen him play. He was King Richard’s toughest opponent, according to Mr Gough himself. They really could have won it on the field, but so could we!
That Rangers team was a beast, Hateley and McCoist at peak, Bomber Brown beside The Captain, The goalie, Fergie, Durrant. A special team.

Abedi Pele was unreal mate, I thought he had glue on his boots for the first 80mns. Their whole team collapsed when the roar went up.
Rudi Voller was immense, I still feel privileged to have seen him play. He was King Richard’s toughest opponent, according to Mr Gough himself. They really could have won it on the field, but so could we!
That Rangers team was a beast, Hateley and McCoist at peak, Bomber Brown beside The Captain, The goalie, Fergie, Durrant. A special team.

My memories of pele have clearly let me down. I just mind his sitter at the end.

Prob an age thing but for me that team and season will never be topped.

Watched an interview with Desailly not so long ago who said the players wanted to kill Tapie for the bribery, they would have beaten Valenciennes easily.

Then obviously the unproven CSKA stuff, that Marseille team would have won it anyway IMO.
The Ibrox pitch was like porridge that night, Marseilles played as if it was a bowling green. They were a class outfit, though I do remember a guy called Eric de Meco, he was a bit of a hatchet man, took plenty of stick from the East Enclosure!

Reactions: TQ3
I was thinking of that game when we played Braga. Played off the park by both teams until our first goal, then what a transformation. Pity we didn't score 5 minutes earlier against Marseille.

Night of my 17th birthday. Had my first driving lesson and straight to the game in my shiny new home top.

Stonewall penalty for handball denied to us in the 2nd half by the ref, wonder how much he was paid?;)
I really enjoyed watching those highlights, we did well to get a draw out of that.

Methinks we had to field 2 more or less untried youngsters in Neil Murray and Steven Pressley, due to injury and 3-foreigner rule. Liege aside, one of the wettest games I saw ... and those crosses and headers by Miko, Durrant, McSwegan and Hateley will probably stick to memory forever.

I was studying at the time and was at night class. I taped the game and avoided the score driving home. As soon as I got home i put in on but switched it off at 2-0 down distraught. My mum said 'if I was you I would keep on watching'!

Must admit that Marseille team were one of the best sides I’ve seen in the flesh. Think they were so far ahead in that game they were saving themselves for their next game. Then wee Mcswegan scores and it’s game on. Said a lot though for the never say die attitude of that Rangers team though, they didn’t know when they were beaten. Got fkn soaked that night. :))

Boksic should have made it 0-3 then we go up the park and McSwegan scores the kind of goal you only get in your dreams.

28 years ago today.

Wow
I was right behind the goals that night, about 5 rows up in the Copland Front. Stadium was sold out, but I heard on the radio that, for some unknown reason, there was a small number of tickets returned and on sale from the ticket office on a first come, first served basis. So I begged a family member to drive me to the ticket office and got one. As a young teenager, it made me feel like Charlie getting the golden ticket from a Wonka Bar and I guarded that ticket for my dear life until I presented it at the turnstile on the night of the game. I remember how different the ticket looked from tickets for domestic matches with all the sponsors on the back.

I can't wait till we're back where we belong playing Champions League matches. It will really cement our rise back to normality.

Remember being in the Copland road. I think after about 70 mins fans started leaving in dribs and drabs. My old man wanted to head as it had been a pasting and we were soaked from the walk to the game.
Great comeback but i think over the 2 games they were the better side.

Back