Rangers 2 Marseille 2

I was 15 when I went to this game with my dad, remember the Marseille supporters setting off a flare in the stadium. First time I’d ever seen anything like that.

Reactions: TQ3
I bought that Marseille top,then proceeded to go on holiday to tenerife and lost it there.Really makes you think.

One of the all time great Rangers games.

Hopefully we’ll have many more Champions Leagues nights just like it in the next few years.

Copland Rear that night

As others have said, battered stupid for 80 minutes but what a noise when we got it back to 2-2.

Amazing night

Still hate those cheating bastards, though

I reckon we'd have done them in the return had Hateley been playing.

East/West Enclosures had a reduced capacity that night, if I remember correctly

Last edited:
One of my earliest memories watching us. Would have been 8. Remember being amazed by McSwegan's header and the celebration haha

Copland Rear that night

As others have said, battered stupid for 80 minutes but what a noise when we got it back to 2-2.

Amazing night

Still hate those cheating bastards, though
I'm ridiculed in work for still holding a grudge over them.

Great comeback but i think over the 2 games they were the better side.
Oh yeah definitely,but what we lacked in out and out skill we made up for in having a big set of bollocks as a team.

AC Milan were great that year as well and it should have been a brilliant final on paper but with van basten being fecked and milan pretty much running out of steam by the end of the season the final was not a memorable one at all.

I think McSwegan’s header is the only time I have seen one bend into the net, like a curler from the outside of your boot, a thing of sheer beauty.

28 years ago is unbelievable. The roar that went up as the second goal hit the net was outrageous.

I always remember we had some posh cnut (who I'm pretty sure was there with his mum even though he was probably in his 40s) behind us that kept referring to Voller as "Rudi", almost as if he was commentating to his mum but only knew one player's name. My old boy cracked after about an hour and invited him to STFU much to the amusement of the people surrounding us. Absolute bawbag wae his maw.

Cheating bastards though.

That game is when I began my superstition of not taping/recording games.

I would have been 11 and was taping the game, stopped recording not long before Mcswegan got the 1st.

This game,the Leeds Utd matches and the Skol cup final were the first games I remember watching Rangers live on the tv as an 8 year old.

Even that young,the comeback v Marsilles on the muddy pitch is something I’ll never forget.

Classic Big Ron commentary too.:cool:

damn, makes me feel auld that, 28 years ago but remember it like yesterday.
I feel older then, cause I remember the main points and obviously our two goals but I had to watch a YouTube vid to even remember theirs. I do remember being in the back row of the Copland Front and whatever way the wind was blowing the rain in, I got wet even there.

I was in the EE that night, 22 years old.

Abedi Pele was magic that night, Voller, Sauzee, Desailly et al.

Jesus, what a team.

Durrant starting up front with Hateley and for the 1st 70 odd minutes we couldn't have kicked our arse, just bloody awful.
2 down and time running out, I'm looking at the crowd a lot and trying not to get too upset at our passes going astray....then Walter brings on McSwegan...Durrant drops back into midfield and suddenly we just start to click....Gary nods in a peach of a cross from Miko and the stadium bursts into a crescendo of sound, Marseille start to panic....another cross...Hateley stoops and nods in the equaliser....utter bedlam in the stadium and the French respond but miss the chances, we look like we could tear through them every time we get the ball...whistle blows...we sing our way out of the EE...touch the lintel above the exit and wait at the usual spot where my mates all gather...they are scattered around the ground..Main Stand, Copland, Govan Rear...we head for a pint in the Clachan then chips and walk back over to Mount Florida...in the pishing rain that we don't even notice.

What a night. Amazing scenes. Only downside was returning to car parked on broomloan road to find the “£1 to watch the car” gits had decided to smash drivers window to get access to boot. They would’ve been gutted to find they managed to rob us of nothing more than a couple of empty peace boxes lol. Was very cold but very happy drive home nonetheless. What a season that was.

My Dad and I booked the afternoon off work and drove up from Stoke. Drove home straight after the game and had a job interview at 9.15 next morning - didn’t get it as I could hardly speak.

When our second went in that night I can just remember absolute bedlam around me, folk going absolutely bananas (as was I :))).

Always thought Miko never got enough credit for chasing back and winning the ball back to set up our second. Most unlike him.

Having said that he should have scored in the first half, not sure he was even being marked on the left :))

I was in the Copland rear that night, a magical, glamourous night of football.
I was also at the pre-season friendly, Marseille played excellent football in both games.
I did have a smirk about the cheating swines this morning though, they have lost the last 4 European cup games and failed to score in all four.
In doing so they have set a new Champions league record of losing 13 games in a row.

Back