Rangers 3-2 Porto, UEFA Champions League - September 2005

crmpicco

YouTube were blocking this upload due to a copyright claim by UEFA so this one is up on Veoh. I admit to never hearing of them before but after trying Dailymotion and Vimeo I was rapidly running out of options.

Rangers 3-2 Porto in the Champions League Group stages in Sept 2005. A dramatic game and solid start to the group (just like last night). A great finish by Peter Lovenkrands.

One thing that strikes me from watching this back was that the team was quite weak. Ian Murray, Olivier Bernard, Hamed Namouchi and Francis Jeffers! Jeffers really was a carthorse and the £8m Arsenal paid for that guy must’ve been the worst £8m they ever spent.
This was a game I was at and really enjoyed the drama of it, but it’s hard to ignore how poor our defense was that night.

Rangers: Waterreus, Ricksen, Rodriguez, Kyrgiakos, Bernard, Namouchi (Novo 72), Ferguson, Murray, Lovenkrands (Buffel 56), Prso, Jeffers (Thompson 84). Subs Not Used: Klos, Andrews, Alex Rae, Pierre-Fanfan.

Booked: Prso. Goals: Lovenkrands 35, Prso 59, Kyrgiakos 85.

FC Porto: Vitor Baia, Pepe, Ricardo Costa, Pedro Emanuel (Sonkaya 41), Cesar Peixoto, Gonzalez, Diego (Quaresma 64), Ibson, Alan (Hugo Almeida 64), Sokota, Jorginho. Subs Not Used: Paulo Ribeiro, Lopez, Paulo Assuncao, Cech.

Booked: Gonzalez, Hugo Almeida. Goals: Pepe 47, 71.

Att: 48,599

Ref: Jan Wegereef (Holland).

Went to a bar in Vegas to watch it when on honeymoon. Bar owner was a w@nk and said he was showing liverpool game and Chelsea game. 1 fan of each at bar and about 40 bears in bar. Tried to tell us game was cancelled and to come back next day and we could watch it. A lassie in the bar told him he was talking shite as her brother was at game and was just waiting for ko.
Anyway...ended up big Gough turned up so we took to keeping up to date with score via texts etc and Gough went round all the bears getting photos and having a chat.

One of my first champions league matches and what a game it was! I was a young lad and my dad took me early out of school for it. I remember when we scored the last goal and the Broomloan stand was actually physically rocking, never heard a noise like it before that game.

Last edited:
Atmosphere was unreal that night, was like thunder when we scored. One of my all time favourite games. Prso carried the team that night.

A favourite of mine as well. I remember going absolutely bananas with everyone in the Broomloan when Soti scored, and a lady sitting a long from us had a look of bewilderment on her face, staring at all the Bears going tonto.

Great drama.

Both goals we lost were horrendous defending

Great night though, don’t think anyone thought Prso’s goal was going to stand at the time

I was thinking that . At the game was just waiting for it to be chopped off , nine times out of ten these days it would be . Just shows how things have changed , if you breathe on a keeper at a cross ball now it’s a foul .

A favourite of mine as well. I remember going absolutely bananas with everyone in the Broomloan when Soti scored, and a lady sitting a long from us had a look of bewilderment on her face, staring at all the Bears going tonto.

Great drama.
I was sitting in the Govan Rear - the place erupted. One of my favourite games to be at.

Yep, agree with everything said so far. Brilliant atmosphere, poor starting 11 (on paper) and Ferguson and Prso both immense.

I see to vaguely recall Ferguson getting quite frustrated with Namouchi that night, so much so that he gestured to Mcleish to consider subbing him at one point...am I making this up or does anyone else remember it?

Yep, agree with everything said so far. Brilliant atmosphere, poor starting 11 (on paper) and Ferguson and Prso both immense.

I see to vaguely recall Ferguson getting quite frustrated with Namouchi that night, so much so that he gestured to Mcleish to consider subbing him at one point...am I making this up or does anyone else remember it?
I don't recall this, but it would fit in with the player and the performance. I honestly have NFI what Eck seen in Namouchi.

That ‘weak’ team made the last 16 of the CL.

A magnificent achievement and we were unlucky not to make the quarters.
Was this the last game we won before going on a ten game run without a win?
We got slaughtered for that, rightly so, and, perhaps conveniently, it took the shine off our qualification from the group.

Went to a bar in Vegas to watch it when on honeymoon. Bar owner was a w@nk and said he was showing liverpool game and Chelsea game. 1 fan of each at bar and about 40 bears in bar. Tried to tell us game was cancelled and to come back next day and we could watch it. A lassie in the bar told him he was talking shite as her brother was at game and was just waiting for ko.
Anyway...ended up big Gough turned up so we took to keeping up to date with score via texts etc and Gough went round all the bears getting photos and having a chat.
Watched it in the Rovers Return, I think it is, in Kissimmee.
The Fox and Hounds wasn’t big enough!

I was at this match. It was a really cracking match, Prso was immense. I think 2 of the Porto players were hospitalised after it. I don't think our team was as weak as the OP suggests, some good players amongst the 11. It's great we are getting these types of matches back at the stadium again.

My first proper champions league game also , was a cracking night and.d atmosphere.

Not sure I've experienced better at a European game since tbh

Ferguson and Prso both incredible that night .

Rodriguez was marking Pepe at set pieces and had a shocker. Pepe looked like scoring near enough every corner or free kick Porto had

was at the game too. as others have said, i expected prso's goal to be disallowed. dodgy defence but Lovenkrands’ and Kyrgiakos’ goals were crackers

I was at this match. It was a really cracking match, Prso was immense. I think 2 of the Porto players were hospitalised after it. I don't think our team was as weak as the OP suggests, some good players amongst the 11. It's great we are getting these types of matches back at the stadium again.
Our team was a mixed bag of quality players and garbage :)

Incredible atmosphere that night. I was sat in Govan front, near the back and near the away support; wall to the right and boxes behind. The sound in that wee pocket was unreal.

Ferguson and Prso both incredible that night .

Rodriguez was marking Pepe at set pieces and had a shocker. Pepe looked like scoring near enough every corner or free kick Porto had

Exactly what I remember too, was at the game myself. My biggest memory was the sheer amount of corners they had, with their LB (Peixoto?) swinging some quality deliveries in - it felt like they were going to score every time!

After seeing some of the players in the line-up I thought we were in for a pumping, but fair play some outstanding performances - notably Ferguson and Prso. I have no doubt the crowd played its part too, cracking atmosphere that night.

Lost a bloody good watch celebrating the winner that night, I was at the back of the club deck and it was last seen spiraling in the air about 10 rows forward

If we could beat them with that XI, anything is possible.

Jeffers, Bernard, Thompson, Rodriguez.

Last edited:
YouTube were blocking this upload due to a copyright claim by UEFA so this one is up on Veoh. I admit to never hearing of them before but after trying Dailymotion and Vimeo I was rapidly running out of options.

Rangers 3-2 Porto in the Champions League Group stages in Sept 2005. A dramatic game and solid start to the group (just like last night). A great finish by Peter Lovenkrands.

One thing that strikes me from watching this back was that the team was quite weak. Ian Murray, Olivier Bernard, Hamed Namouchi and Francis Jeffers! Jeffers really was a carthorse and the £8m Arsenal paid for that guy must’ve been the worst £8m they ever spent.
This was a game I was at and really enjoyed the drama of it, but it’s hard to ignore how poor our defense was that night.

Rangers: Waterreus, Ricksen, Rodriguez, Kyrgiakos, Bernard, Namouchi (Novo 72), Ferguson, Murray, Lovenkrands (Buffel 56), Prso, Jeffers (Thompson 84). Subs Not Used: Klos, Andrews, Alex Rae, Pierre-Fanfan.

Booked: Prso. Goals: Lovenkrands 35, Prso 59, Kyrgiakos 85.

FC Porto: Vitor Baia, Pepe, Ricardo Costa, Pedro Emanuel (Sonkaya 41), Cesar Peixoto, Gonzalez, Diego (Quaresma 64), Ibson, Alan (Hugo Almeida 64), Sokota, Jorginho. Subs Not Used: Paulo Ribeiro, Lopez, Paulo Assuncao, Cech.

Booked: Gonzalez, Hugo Almeida. Goals: Pepe 47, 71.

Att: 48,599

Ref: Jan Wegereef (Holland).

Remember that game like it was yesterday! Think they were the champions at the time?

I don't recall this, but it would fit in with the player and the performance. I honestly have NFI what Eck seen in Namouchi.

Namouchi had a lot of attributes to be a good player, great engine strong could play 3 of 4 positions

BUT and its a big but at that he struggled with the basics

Eck always seemed to play him in the bigger games for some reason

Another weird thing about that starting line up...Wattereus in goal with Klos on the bench?

Am I right in saying that Klos was just returning from injury and Wattereus kept the place as he'd been solid in Klos' absence? Did Klos get the gloves back later that season? Can't really remember how that all panned out.

Another weird thing about that starting line up...Wattereus in goal with Klos on the bench?

Am I right in saying that Klos was just returning from injury and Wattereus kept the place as he'd been solid in Klos' absence? Did Klos get the gloves back later that season? Can't really remember how that all panned out.

Klos has been out injured the last 6 months of the previous season and Mcleish retained Wattereus as number 1 for the following season even once Klos was back.

After multiple howlers from Watterues, Klos was brought back for a game at home to Aberdeen ( drew 0-0, Klos was barely tested) and then a loss away at Parkhead three days later after which Klos was then thrown under the bus and dropped after only 2 games back.

Mcleish handled the whole situation terribly. I can understand why Wattereus was retained as first choice at the start of the season, given we had won the league with him and Klos may have not been fully fit but to bring Klos back a matter of days before a Glasgow derby when he had barely played for a year was practically setting him up to be a scapegoat.

Klos has been out injured the last 6 months of the previous season and Mcleish retained Wattereus as number 1 for the following season even once Klos was back.

After multiple howlers from Watterues, Klos was brought back for a game at home to Aberdeen ( drew 0-0, Klos was barely tested) and then a loss away at Parkhead three days later after which Klos was then thrown under the bus and dropped after only 2 games back.

Mcleish handled the whole situation terribly. I can understand why Wattereus was retained as first choice at the start of the season, given we had won the league with him and Klos may have not been fully fit but to bring Klos back a matter of days before a Glasgow derby when he had barely played for a year was practically setting him up to be a scapegoat.

Cheers mate - very detailed reply!

I had blanked that old firm game you mentioned from my memory but just googled it and remember watching it now. Klos did have a mare that night tbf, poor position for Maloneys goal and an og as well.

He only played a few more times after that so fairly sad end to a tremendous career with us.

Back