Rangers 3-2 Porto, UEFA Champions League - September 2005

Remember thinking how poorly we were playing in the first half, but that we have won games playing this badly, and sure enough.

Went to a bar in Vegas to watch it when on honeymoon. Bar owner was a w@nk and said he was showing liverpool game and Chelsea game. 1 fan of each at bar and about 40 bears in bar. Tried to tell us game was cancelled and to come back next day and we could watch it. A lassie in the bar told him he was talking shite as her brother was at game and was just waiting for ko.
Anyway...ended up big Gough turned up so we took to keeping up to date with score via texts etc and Gough went round all the bears getting photos and having a chat.
what bar?

what bar?
Think it was called Crown and Anchor
The owner certainly was a wanchor
Looked on a map and itnwas only 2 streets back from srio so.just walked it not realising that 2 streets distance isnt same as Glasgow 2.streets distance. Took ober an hour to walk it in that heat. I was popular!

A poor line-up on paper but we never knew that at the time. We’d already beaten Celtic in the league.

Amazing seeing Ricksen at RB when you had Namouchi and Murray in beside Ferguson in midfield. Better option than Fanfan I suppose.

People forget that Novo was almost frozen out during that season. It could’ve ended so differently for him.

I was there with my 2 nephews. One of my all time favourite Rangers games.

Barry Ferguson almost carried the team through the game.

Great memories.

Klos has been out injured the last 6 months of the previous season and Mcleish retained Wattereus as number 1 for the following season even once Klos was back.

After multiple howlers from Watterues, Klos was brought back for a game at home to Aberdeen ( drew 0-0, Klos was barely tested) and then a loss away at Parkhead three days later after which Klos was then thrown under the bus and dropped after only 2 games back.

Mcleish handled the whole situation terribly. I can understand why Wattereus was retained as first choice at the start of the season, given we had won the league with him and Klos may have not been fully fit but to bring Klos back a matter of days before a Glasgow derby when he had barely played for a year was practically setting him up to be a scapegoat.
Eck’s handling of Stefan Klos was terrible. Perhaps Santa was just happy to pick up his sizeable salary, but got the feeling Eck was mismanaging the player.

My main memory of the night was ending up around 8 rows away from my seat when the third went in. As others have said, the atmosphere was unreal.

Eck’s handling of Stefan Klos was terrible. Perhaps Santa was just happy to pick up his sizeable salary, but got the feeling Eck was mismanaging the player.

I always felt he was setting him up to be a scapegoat by the timing in which Klos was brought back. We were in a horrendous run of form and were days away from playing an away Glasgow Derby - there was a genuine worry it could end up a real thrashing.

Klos should have done better with the goals that night but he did actually make a number of very good saves as well. We were never winning that game and it could have conceivably been a cricket score without him.

Mcleish was coming under huge pressure that season and his decision making become hugely suspect

Julien Rodriguez? I have no recollection of him so had to look him up. He was around in the Eck/Le Guen era then Walter sold him. He played for Monaco, helping them to the Champions League final before we signed him. Played 34 times for us over 2 years. He couldn't have been much good for me to totally forget him!

Julien Rodriguez? I have no recollection of him so had to look him up. He was around in the Eck/Le Guen era then Walter sold him. He played for Monaco, helping them to the Champions League final before we signed him. Played 34 times for us over 2 years. He couldn't have been much good for me to totally forget him!
I didn’t think he was much better than FanFan who got bombed out the team around the same time

Back