Rangers 4 Livi 3 Weird Game at Ibrox back in 2002

I mind shiting it at 4-3 as it was a few days before the oldfirm game and it was so tight that season.

I also seem to remember a cat running on at one point just to add to the surrealism.

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about it til you posted it but its coming back now. They actually scored 2 crackers tbf.
Was that the year Livi and Dundee chucked about loads of money they never had, we're 3rd and 4th or thereabouts then both in admin shortly afterwards

The 2005 League Cup semi against Dundee United (Barry’s return) was a strange one.

We went 2-0 up then they got one back. Big Mark De Vries had a shot that hit both posts and we looked extremely vulnerable. Thankfully we scored five goals afterwards but the game was a lot tighter than the scoreline suggested.

EDIT: after watching the highlights it wasn’t De Vries that hit the posts, it was Mark Kerr. They’re like identical twins TBF.

There was also a game against Falkirk at the start of the 2007/08 season. It was to-and-fro but we scored a few goals at the end to make it look like a hammering. It was the closest 7-2 game you’ll ever see.

There we were, 4-0 up and coasting after 46 minutes. Livi then hit back with not one or two, but three goals in the second half. A strange but memorable game. Anyone else remember that match. ?

I remember it well.

Barry Ferguson went off at half-time with us 4-0 up.

The other Livingston game I remember (for other reasons) was a League opener one season, and Livingston had a new guy (who nobody had heard of) at centre back, called Marvin Andrews.

The game finished 0-0, despite Rangers having loads of pressure, but every cross into the box ended up being headed out by Marvin, usually into the centre circle!

I remember it well.

The other Livingston game I remember (for other reasons) was a League opener one season, and Livingston had a new guy (who nobody had heard of) at centre back, called Marvin Andrews.

The game finished 0-0, despite Rangers having loads of pressure, but every cross into the box ended up being headed out by Marvin, usually into the centre circle!
We should have been a lot more up too.

He went off well into the second half I think but we collapsed a bit as soon as he did. I just remember sitting there thinking never sun him again.

The best collection of goals in a single match I think I've ever seen,

That Zarate was unreal at Livi yet really done hee haw afterwards..

I only remember that game cos I missed it to see Billy Connolly at the Clyde Auditorium. I miss so few games that those ones tend to stick in the mind.

My one and only time seeing the Big Yin so it proved to be worth it.

There we were, 4-0 up and coasting after 46 minutes. Livi then hit back with not one or two, but three goals in the second half. A strange but memorable game. Anyone else remember that match. ?

I was only 16, my brother 10, and my Dad who we went to games with was going straight to nightshift via dropping us off at the house so we left early when it was 4-1. Back in the car at car park next to Cowcaddens Subway and near shit my pants when the guy on the tranny said it was 4-3.

I remember it well.

Last free kick Barry scored for us?

Was the game before we beat Celtic 3-2 at Ibrox to put us top of the league if I remember correctly. Think we switched off v Livi and were ahead to Old Firm game. Sure we even took off Craig Moore at half time and replaced him with Bob Malcolm so that might explain the Livi comeback.

That’s my abiding memory of it aswell.

It was just a box ticking relief not to drop points before the old firm game.

I could be wrong but were we 4 points behind them at this point (quite a big gap given how it felt pretty much neck and neck all season)

I was at it . Begged my dad to take me to a night game I would have been 8 got pulled out the school play practice to go. Fell asleep at half time.

Scored a free kick 2 weeks later at home to Dundee Utd.

3-0 win, he got all 3.
Ah , seemed to have stopped being able to score them after 2002, shame as I had hopes that would be a Beckhamesque goal threat following the SC final that year.

I was there. I remember it, as I was due to drive to Manchester straight after the game to go on a family holiday to Florida. Unusually, I intended to leave a bit early but waited until full time to make sure we got over the line.

First year as a season ticket holder and was the only game I missed as it was midweek and our club never ran a bus .

Pretty sure Gazza did the half time draw at that game as well, as the OP mentions it was the midweek before we beat Celtic 3-2 at Ibrox.

We left at 4-2 and heard when we got back to the car that it had ended 4-3.

I remember I had a spare ticket and I took a guy from my work who was a Liverpool supporter.

He couldn't believe what he had just watched - I had to assure him it wasn't like that every week!

There’s a lot more interest in tactics nowadays so I’m interested in how that lineup worked? Aveladze, Mols, de Boer, McCann and Lovenkrands.

The 6-1 against Dunfermline as well just seemed to be a team of strikers!

As others have mentioned it was the Wednesday before we played the beggars on the Saturday when we beat them 3-2. There was a full card on that night and we were 4-0 up and cruising after 50 minutes, the crowd were singing bring on the Celtic and then for some reason our arses collapsed. I remember big Marv missing a sitter right at the end for them to make it 4-4. They were at Easter Rd being held 0-0 I’m sure they scored late on coupled with our performance cause a few twitchy arses in the stands.

All worked out in the end though.

I was in digs in Tignabruich on a Scottish Water upgrade with my mate and keep imagining I watched it. Not sure about that though unless landlady had Setanta Sports / Sky? Probably listened to it on the radio then watched highlights later? What I do remember is the hoose was absolutely Baltic right on the coast.

I remember it so well. I should have been elsewhere picking up an award, but I preferred going to watch 'The Famous'.

We could have easily scored 10 in that game and nobody would have denied us them, yet it could have ended up a draw. One of the most crazy games I've seen at Ibrox.

The 2005 League Cup semi against Dundee United (Barry’s return) was a strange one.

We went 2-0 up then they got one back. Big Mark De Vries had a shot that hit both posts and we looked extremely vulnerable. Thankfully we scored five goals afterwards but the game was a lot tighter than the scoreline suggested.

EDIT: after watching the highlights it wasn’t De Vries that hit the posts, it was Mark Kerr. They’re like identical twins TBF.

There was also a game against Falkirk at the start of the 2007/08 season. It was to-and-fro but we scored a few goals at the end to make it look like a hammering. It was the closest 7-2 game you’ll ever see.
Pat Nevin's tears through his commentary of that game are delicious

Honestly thought we were [incredibly] dropping two points that day. Heart in mouth stuff.

He got capped, and scored, for Argentina after leaving Livingston.

Oooft never even got as far down as International caps checking that, for a second I thought someone had confused him with Mauro Zarate.

Capped for Argentina while at Ittihad is an odd one. Not like he was banging them in either.

Never forget it. I was screaming about us taking the foot off the gas at 4 0.
Guys in front of me telling me to shut up. The game was already won.
They got a goal back.
I remember saying we should be concentrating on getting more goals in the possible even of goal difference. Again I was told I was talking shite. Next thing they have scored another two. We were scrambling to defend the slender one goal lead.

As soon as teams drop the temp right down like we did that day it's difficult to lift it back up again. Goes without saying those around me that had told me I was talking shite screaming that we should be going for more goals were spluttering in disbelief in the closing moments.

Don’t ever remember Ferguson scoring, or even shooting from a free kick after this season. Similarly, don’t remember him taking (except Florence) or scoring a penalty after this season.

Awaiting @SDF giving a list of instances of both.

Last edited:
Back