Rangers 5 - 0 Sturm Graz (Highlights)

Thought that Mols was back after that game - his trademark turn still evident on that performance. But not long after he had to go under the knife again IIRC, then a series of niggly injuries after eventually took their toll. Still scored some vital goals for us, but never the same player again.

As for that CL campaign, a travesty that we never qualified from that group - 2 wins from the first 2 games, then one point from the double header v Galatasaray, a pitiful performance and loss against Graz at their place (and playing an unfit Gio in that game, which effectively finished his time at Rangers), then snatching a draw from the jaws of victory against Monaco at home.

Thought that Mols was back after that game - his trademark turn still evident on that performance. But not long after he had to go under the knife again IIRC, then a series of niggly injuries after eventually took their toll. Still scored some vital goals for us, but never the same player again.

As for that CL campaign, a travesty that we never qualified from that group - 2 wins from the first 2 games, then one point from the double header v Galatasaray, a pitiful performance and loss against Graz at their place (and playing an unfit Gio in that game, which effectively finished his time at Rangers), then snatching a draw from the jaws of victory against Monaco at home.
I will always remember that Monaco game just left speechless that night

Always view this with a massive amount of mixed feelings. We were genuinely outstanding, however that team we humbled qualified from the group, and we didn't. Talk about winning a battle but losing the war.

I remember saying to anyone who would listen “It doesn’t get any better than this”. The atmosphere was unbelievable.

Still can hardly believe we didn’t qualify.

Dodds' goal was the pick of the bunch there. Could easily have been a few more.

We should've done a lot more in Europe with the team we had then - good times, though.

Some fantastic players on display there and some brilliant goals.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like the Mols turn before or since in the game, it was a thing of beauty. It still annoys me to this day thinking of what could have been for Mols.

Michael Mols had the best 1st touch of any player i have ever seen. If only he has jumped on khan instead of trying to avoid him. What a player he was, one of my all time favourites

Some atmosphere that night. I remember thinking that team was going to do something special in Europe following that performance. Massively underachieved sadly.

The return match was the complete opposite, nightmare result, lost camera in taxi, return bus journey, my son seeing his 1st spliff on the bus.
Son stopped at Dover as Police were interviewing teenagers regarding incident on ferry. Managed to avoid him being interviewed as he had been with me all journey.
One to forget.

That game sticks in my mind as one of the best atmospheres, the rendition of Mols Mols Michael Michael Mols is still ringing in my ears :D

Some great performances that night, De Boer, Mols, etc. I had also forgotten how good Alan Johnston could be.

My first champions league game. Great memories. Especially being behind the goals when Dodds scored.

My 1st ever European game, sat in the East Enclosure with a fantastic view of Dodds' goal. I can still feel the shivers down my spine from the noise before kick off

Always view this with a massive amount of mixed feelings. We were genuinely outstanding, however that team we humbled qualified from the group, and we didn't. Talk about winning a battle but losing the war.
Big disappointment getting beat over there,although I can't remember much about it.:oops:

Can remember De Boer being the standout that game. Was one of his first games if I recall correctly.

I was at that game. Man, that team - just an unbelievable group of players.

My memory is failing, I could have sworn RdB opened the scoring, didn't remember the Mols goal at all!

Sturm Graz lost two games 5-0 and still topped the group.

Monaco and Rangers had a goal difference of +3. Both went out.

Sturm Graz and Galatasaray had a goal difference of -3. Both went through.

I remember it well, a few of us were there with a manc man u workmate. Graz had beaten man u the season before IIRC, on the way to Ibrox he was telling us how good the Austrians were and that we were in for a hiding .

Thought we were gonna cruise through that group after first two matches and finally get to the knockout stages........we were on fire in that game, then as usual we throw it away big style.... funny how what was probably an inferior rangers team in comparison, under mcleish, was the first to get us out of the groups

that night was my first time to Ibrox. being a young pre teen kid from sydney seeing his old man (back in his case) at Ibrox for the first time was something i will take to the grave with me. didnt realise it at the time but 20 years on i still put that down to my such strong love for rangers cause how id seen my old man in a way id never seen him before in my life that night!!

What a night.went to the game got home to Cavan (ROI) at 5.30am and in to work at 7.30. was wrecked but buzzing all day after!

It’s the greatest sight that I have ever seen

c2161e9b-9027-41ab-8d7c-6414568c4ff9.gif

Have to watch when get a chance, we could have set a goalscoring record that night, could have been double figures from what I remember

i’ve posted on a few threads in the past, but that game was at the height of the fuel crisis and i got stuck in a farmers blockade at the Stirling services roundabout for more than 2 hours and i missed the bus, and I was convinced I wouldn’t get to the game. Eventually I had to drive across the grass to get onto the motorway and probably averaging over 100mph to get to the ground. my mate was stood at John Greig with my ticket and we both bolted up the stairs to the EE as the Champions League theme rang around Ibrox drowned out by the loudest Hello Hello I’ve ever heard. Incredible night

We were outstanding that night. Still bugs me to this day that we didn't make it out of our group. After the 1st two games we really should have done it. We lost some piss poor goals and ended up blowing it. We had a cracking team who should have done it.

Back