Rangers ace Borna Barisic couldn’t believe how easy Celtic win was and says Gers now ‘the better team’

BlueMeanie

RANGERS star Borna Barisic admitted he couldn't believe how easy it was to hammer Celtic in last week's Old Firm showdown at Ibrox.
The Croatian international was involved in a war of words with Celtic interim manager John Kennedy and insisted the Hoops' coach's claims that the Hoops were a better team were a 'joke' and 'disrespectful.'
Rangers star Borna Barisic

Kennedy hit back that he was entitled to his opinion, but Rangers romped to a 4-1 win which put them 23 points ahead of their nearest rivals.
And Barisic, who was given the all-clear after limping off, admitted he didn't expect the success to be so easy and put the credit for a fantastic season down to manager Steven Gerrard.
He said: "We did not expect such a convincing victory, but it is no wonder really because we have been really playing great this season.
"We are full of self-confidence, positive energy and we have definitely shown that we are better than Celtic.

"How good we are this season is also confirmed by the fact that we secured the title two months ago.
"But it is not over yet, because we have two games left in the league, in which we want to celebrate and finish the season undefeated in the league and with more than 100 points won.
"All this is the result of incredible dedication and exceptional quality work with our manager. It means a lot to us that the majority of the team has been together with Gerrard for three years. We know each other by heart, we already have a lot of great results and performances.
"Of course, we have had some disappointments, but we learned lessons and got to where we are today.
"I've personally had a great season and I am delighted because I have played 56 games for Rangers and Croatia this season, which is a record for me, which practically no problems.
"At Rangers, we use the wings a lot and that is good for me. The manager trusts both me and James Tavernier, the other full back."

And Barisic, in an interview with homeland publication, Sportske Novosti, admits he can't wait to face Scotland at Hampden at Euro 2020 this summer.
He said: "Now I am seriously concentrating on the Euros. It's time to prepare and think about the games.
"It's obvious our aims are to get out of the group, which will not be easy at all, but we know our strengths, and I believe in a very successful Euros for us.
"I am also really happy we are playing in Scotland - a country which has grown close to my heart."

You have to admire and love Borna, he hasn’t strolled it, but had to work at his game and confidence to become the bomber he is now. ( by bomber I mean he bombs up and down the pitch, not the new John Brown!)
I expect he will be on the big bid list after the Euros, as he is a truly gifted left back in a very strong team internationally.

For a guy who can be a bit of an injury diva, 56 games this season is excellent. I wouldn't have suspected (or expected) him to rack up that many. Should be well over 60 by end of Euros

Another player who has come to Ibrox from abroad and who gets the club.

I can imagine him doing a Numan / Albertz / Mols in a few years time and flying over here to watch us play.

Love our players hatred for all things to do with the dogs now. Any chance to stick the boot in our players are all over it

It's mental that in his first season he looked like he wasnt gonna make it and played like a bit of a shitebag but now he's taking on everybody going and winding the mentally challengeds up no end

That’s right Borna, salt those wounds

608e96ccae298b85e93a566b

For a guy who can be a bit of an injury diva, 56 games this season is excellent. I wouldn't have suspected (or expected) him to rack up that many. Should be well over 60 by end of Euros
He said in the interview it’s a record for him, he won’t have been playing anywhere near that many for Osijek so maybe his body had adapted over time.

hates the Tims as much as us as well

RANGERS star Borna Barisic admitted he couldn't believe how easy it was to hammer Celtic in last week's Old Firm showdown at Ibrox.
The Croatian international was involved in a war of words with Celtic interim manager John Kennedy and insisted the Hoops' coach's claims that the Hoops were a better team were a 'joke' and 'disrespectful.'
Rangers star Borna Barisic

Kennedy hit back that he was entitled to his opinion, but Rangers romped to a 4-1 win which put them 23 points ahead of their nearest rivals.
And Barisic, who was given the all-clear after limping off, admitted he didn't expect the success to be so easy and put the credit for a fantastic season down to manager Steven Gerrard.
He said: "We did not expect such a convincing victory, but it is no wonder really because we have been really playing great this season.
"We are full of self-confidence, positive energy and we have definitely shown that we are better than Celtic.

"How good we are this season is also confirmed by the fact that we secured the title two months ago.
"But it is not over yet, because we have two games left in the league, in which we want to celebrate and finish the season undefeated in the league and with more than 100 points won.
"All this is the result of incredible dedication and exceptional quality work with our manager. It means a lot to us that the majority of the team has been together with Gerrard for three years. We know each other by heart, we already have a lot of great results and performances.
"Of course, we have had some disappointments, but we learned lessons and got to where we are today.
"I've personally had a great season and I am delighted because I have played 56 games for Rangers and Croatia this season, which is a record for me, which practically no problems.
"At Rangers, we use the wings a lot and that is good for me. The manager trusts both me and James Tavernier, the other full back."

And Barisic, in an interview with homeland publication, Sportske Novosti, admits he can't wait to face Scotland at Hampden at Euro 2020 this summer.
He said: "Now I am seriously concentrating on the Euros. It's time to prepare and think about the games.
"It's obvious our aims are to get out of the group, which will not be easy at all, but we know our strengths, and I believe in a very successful Euros for us.
"I am also really happy we are playing in Scotland - a country which has grown close to my heart."
A “war of words” with Kennedy?

He is sticking the boot in, but at the same time being 100% truthful. The mutant fans hate him as they can’t realistically argue against it.

Borna is the latest in a line of foreign players who come here and just get it. So many don’t, or can’t. But he certainly does, and appears to absolutely love it.

I think he had his fitness issues early on in his Rangers career. In last 3 years he has improved as a player and physically to cope with the demanding schedule. His deliveries into the box with Tavanier on the right has been exceptional and is probably the main reason for our success.

I've not read the rest of the thread so others may have replied...but Borna has upped his game since we signed him and is a much tougher player now than he was almost 3 years ago.

I also rewatched the highlights of the 4-1 game this morning and some of his crosses were sensational.

I've not read the rest of the thread so others may have replied...but Borna has upped his game since we signed him and is a much tougher player now than he was almost 3 years ago.

I also rewatched the highlights of the 4-1 game this morning and some of his crosses were sensational.
Absolutely. Remember his first season? He struggled with the physical side of the Scottish game a fair bit, to the point he was struggling to get a game,

But after being put in the gym by Gerrard and the fitness coaches he has been magnificent from his 2nd season onwards, for club and country.

Absolutely. Remember his first season? He struggled with the physical side of the Scottish game a fair bit, to the point he was struggling to get a game,

But after being put in the gym by Gerrard and the fitness coaches he has been magnificent from his 2nd season onwards, for club and country.
I laughed a bit when I read the thread about Lennnon improving Turnbull.

The improvement that Gerrard's staff have made on some of our players is remarkable. Tav, Goldson, Kent, Jack and Helander are more complete players now than pre-Gerrard with, for example, Tav going from being an eager player who was a bit soft to a fucking machine.

The biggest change is Big Buff. That he has gone from a one-dimensional goal scorer to, arguably, the least selfish player in the squad is little short of sensational.

The writer is stirring it a bit. It was easy but Borna never says that. He says "We did not expect such a convincing victory” which is different and a bit less pejorative.

You have to admire and love Borna, he hasn’t strolled it, but had to work at his game and confidence to become the bomber he is now. ( by bomber I mean he bombs up and down the pitch, not the new John Brown!)
I expect he will be on the big bid list after the Euros, as he is a truly gifted left back in a very strong team internationally.
I think that’s a great comment. It’s pretty certain he was the individual whom Gerrard has never named that knocked on his door and apologized for how things were going.

He has changed his game from one whom we had a lot of disappointment in to one that we relish.

The polite deminishment of that lot, from one who has made such a journey, is magnificent.

Shut up Borna. These comments can come back to bite you in the erse. Enjoy the gloating with your teammates, don't give them any ammunition to get back at you.

Back