Rangers ace Ianis Hagi is in ‘top ten players in the world’ for his age group, according ex-Romania ace

He's seriously underrated by a lot of our support.

He has an incredible knack of finding that crucial half yard of space, even around the tightest of defences and midfields.

Terrific vision and very 2 footed as well.

He must be an absolute stick on for Scottish Young Player of the Year.
And even though it’s not his natural game his pressing and work rate is brilliant.

It's someone's opinion and if you read the actual quotes rather than the headline then he qualifies what he is saying.

Hagi does have quite a unique skillset. When it all clicks with consistency then he will become a player who can have an impact at a higher level on a regular basis.

I'm sure for Romanian commentators, they're thinking about the European U21 Championship in 2019 and particularly the game against England where he ran amok in a game that featured Mason Mount, James Maddison, Phil Foden etc.

Hagi is a cracking player, but hes not even in the top 100 players around his age

heres a wee look at some of the players roughly the same age as Hagi (although these guys are all younger)

ghgg.jpg

hopefully he gets half as good as some of these lads
Is that two Canadians on that list?

Thread title is misleading, the guy clearly means for the three things he picks out. Still not true but it’s not the same as saying he is in the top ten players under 23.

That wasn't quite the quote though. He said he was in the top 10 at what he does, meaning the type of player he is.

There's not many on that list who play in the same way. Can't claim to know enough to be able to place him really.
Spot on. Title completely misleading. He’s saying for vision and passing he is up there - not for dribbling at pace etc

He needs to establish himself as guaranteed first choice in our team before indulging in chat like this. He's got so much potential but a long way to go.

Spot on. Title completely misleading. He’s saying for vision and passing he is up there - not for dribbling at pace etc

even then, , guys who play in the same position as Hagi, youve got Pulisic, Olmo, Odegaard,Grealish, Mount, Maddison, Neuhaus, Aouar.......

Anyway, for where Hagi is in his development, hes doing fine, theres nothing to say he doesnt have a higher ceiling than those mentioned, hes got all the tools, lets hope hes a future Balon Dor

Well it’s quite simple really isn’t it. Look at other players who are in that bracket or younger and Hagi isn’t anywhere near them. Mbappe, Haaland & Sancho to name a few.
Clearly didn't read his quotes so maybe it's not that simple as you've just named 3 of the top players who have the attributes he isn't counting.
"There's no point expecting Ianis to dribble past three or four players and go straight to the goal, or to run with it at full pace.
"He can't do those things, but in terms of what he can do I think he's in the top 10 players in the world in his age category.

He couldn't lace Hagi's boots mate.

I've watched most of their games this season and he always starts brightly, but has dropped out of games by 30 minutes.

He's one of the main reasons the mentally challengeds can't maintain a good tempo for any length of time.

If he gets Young Player of the Year it'll just go to show how clueless, or biased, sports journalists are in this country.
Totally agree with all you say but we all know how it works up here

He does two or three things in every game that nobody can or would do. He can be frustrating but you only have to look at our third goal against Antwerp to see what he is all about
The way he received that ball, turned, left the defender fir dead before playing it to Morelos was fantastic, it’s clips like this that make him special.

As a fanbase , we have a lot to learn. Most of the comments on here are saying the article is hyperbole etc etc. The mentally challengeds would be all over this if it was one of their players being promoted like this, and that is why they get inflated prices for average players. We have done this for years now and then we complain when our players go for a lower fee. We don't seem to understand marketing at all.

Clearly didn't read his quotes so maybe it's not that simple as you've just named 3 of the top players who have the attributes he isn't counting.
"There's no point expecting Ianis to dribble past three or four players and go straight to the goal, or to run with it at full pace.
"He can't do those things, but in terms of what he can do I think he's in the top 10 players in the world in his age category.
Yes but if you are just isolating one or two attributes you could make a case Liam Lawrence was as good as Luis Figo because he had exceptional crossing ability. It’s just nonsense to suggest Hagi is anywhere near the top 10 for his age bracket regardless of what attributes you are (or are not) taking into consideration. Hagi is clearly a very talented football and levels above most of what is in Scotland, that’s it.

I think that what his detractors forget is that of those players, that I know offhand, they play in the top 5 leagues and as such will be automatically rated higher than anybody we can produce. Of course that is liable to change after Gdansk.

I love wee Hagi but people like Mbappe and Haaland are 22 and under so I doubt he is top 10 tbh unless its technical creative players or something.

He is superb at times though and I'm glad we have him.

Back