Rangers are closing in on the signing of South African international Bongani Zungu - The Scotsman

He was good for the first few games but I would bet this guy is nothing like Coulibally, Coulibally couldn't pick a pass this guy looks like he can.
Yeah his long-range passing was pretty poor for a midfielder

The panty wetters on here still seem to think we can still go out and sign the best players from top clubs like the early 90s.....unfortunately this is our market place now and we have to try find the best players for around these prices.

The panty wetters on here still seem to think we can still go out and sign the best players from top clubs like the early 90s.....unfortunately this is our market place now and we have to try find the best players for around these prices.
I wasn't on FF when we signed Alfredo but I'm sure that there would have been some bemoaning that too

FF have rebranded this 27 yr old international as a 28yr old ancient nobody. Give me strength.

We have signed a good number of younger players who have potential. We could do with some prime leaders.

Actually think this deal makes sense. Ties in with the club looking at two new midfielders. I reckon Ryan Jack is probably going to be the only one safe from being dumped to squad player role

Don't mean to be that guy but we signed Coulibally on loan based on one good performance against PSG
I highly doubt we have signed anyone based on one performance, it might have been a notable game but no chance that was the only scouting we done.

Article in Goal last month:

Zungu recalls his brave road to Bafana Bafana, from World Cup memories to getting slapped

Like many footballers, the Amiens midfielder had to overcome hardship on his journey to the top

South Africa star Bongani Zungu revealed he had failed trials at Mamelodi Sundowns and Bidvest Wits in the past.
Zungu also spoke about how he was rejected by NSFAS [National Student Financial Aid Scheme], then on another occasion, he was given a 'chesa mpama’ [slap] by a Dynamos bus driver.
The dream of playing football professionally was slowly turning into a nightmare for the youngster.

Like the many South African's who live beneath the poverty line, then 17-year-old, Zungu - who was doing his Grade 12 at the time - watched the 2010 World Cup on television from his crowded home in Duduza as he could not afford a ticket to the stadium.

A decade later, Zungu became a Bafana midfielder and plays in one of the world's major leagues where he's thriving.

"I think I was starting to give up on playing football professionally," Zungu tells Goal.

"I had been to Sundowns in 2007 for trials, and Isaac Shai turned me down and didn't sign me for his U17's.

"I went to Wits' open trials as well at the academy, they took me initially and I failed on the final phases.

“So those incidents made me realise that my dream and goals of playing at an academy setup, playing professionally and one day being one of the best midfielders in the country was slowly fading away, so I just decided to focus on my education.

"I remember I even went to TUT [Tshwane University of Technology] early in 2011 and had to return back because NSFAS did not come through with the finances, so I had to go back home because my parents also couldn't afford to pay my tuition fees. I was just starting to give up on my dream.

"I was doing Grade 12 at the time and I watched the (2010 World Cup) games at home on TV because I also couldn't afford to buy a ticket.

“I think everything that has happened in my life, football-wise, happened when I was least expecting it. I was playing football for enjoyment at Dixieland Stars, we won the league, went to the play-off’s and someone from Dynamos spotted me.

“Even there [at Dynamos], I only lasted for eight months because I remember the bus driver wangishaya ngempama [slapped me] and then I left went home and then I got a call from Tebogo Monyai that Steve Barker was going to give me chance at Tuks and that was the beginning.”

From being just another teenager playing amateur football for Dixieland Stars in Dududza, Zungu has been the one to watch in Ligue 1 last season and now the 27-year-old is one of the most sought-after midfielders in Europe.

His amateur level coach, Christian Xaba is not shocked by the midfielder's rise. Xaba says Zungu's success was no surprise to him.

“Bongs [Zungu] has always been a big dreamer, a leader and a hard worker," Xaba recounted.

"He wants to get to the level of Samuel Eto’o, Benni McCarthy, Lucas Radebe and Didier Drogba and he wants to be the next Yaya Toure.

“One day, I took him to Soccer City, right after it was refurbished for the 2009 Confederations Cup, while we a watched a game there he paused and said, “Ngizodlala la coach. [I will play here one day coach].”

"He achieved those dreams and then set his mind on something else and works really hard for it. That’s him for you.

"His spirit, belief and attitude are unimaginable,” Xaba added.

Since the 2010 World Cup that Zungu watched from home, he went on to play for Dynamos, University of Pretoria and Mamelodi Sundowns. In Europe, he played for Portugal's Vitoria Guimaraes before joining French Ligue 1 side Amiens.

He is also capped 30 times for Bafana and has registered four goals, but is currently working to prove he deserves a recall to the squad.

We need an experienced player in the middle that isn't passed it or close to being passed it. Overall I like that we're signing a lot of younger players but I think we need to break the mold for 1 or 2 signings because we need some good, already developed players in the 11.

What numbers do you mean?

The transfer fee, his contractual terms, his profile - they don’t seem Gerrard/Wilson like to me.

I agree on the role and need. I’ve been trying to think of that right type.

It’s a Milner type for me. (He’s not a real target, clearly).

Someone like Darren Fletcher back in the day.

I’d prefer it to be British. Someone with a decent fight and character to them.

Mark Noble type?

I’m low on ideas, as you can see. :D I know what I want and what I don’t want, but not sure I know the name! :)

We need a goalscoring midfielder and a defensive midfielder IMO. Don't have a problem with this signing as long as we manage to get both.
That’s fair, £3.5m just seems like a lot to me when our main issue last year was creating against low block teams. If we have the spare cash then by all means we should improve as many areas of the squad as possible.

Never seen him play, but on paper it doesn't read like a great signing.

Bang average track record and coming from one of last seasons relegated teams in France.

Got to trust Rangers have done their homework on this one.

Hopefully a lot better than Coulibally.

He was moving to Real Mallorca last summer for €5 million then Amiens pulled it because a deal for his replacement fell through.

Genuinely have no idea what he's like but its good that he's attracted that kind of interest fairly recently.

I think he will score a lot for us, he has the ability of played through the middle.
I seriously hope so and don’t get me wrong I am incredibly excited about Hagi’s signing and potential. However, he did only score once against Scottish opposition last season so it’s maybe a bit premature to put our main goal scoring midfielder hopes on him right now.

They must like him as it's dead money as he's 28 in October.

I’m not against us adding some more experienced players, but this one, if indeed there’s any substance to it, seems a little curious given his age and our supposed buy low / sell high signing model.

£3m is a lot of money for us nowadays and if there’s less likelihood we’ll make our money back on him considering his age and CV, would we not be better off looking elsewhere?

On the face of it looks a ridiculous signing at that amount. Mental when you consider his injury history .

however I’ve also thought some signings would be brilliant and turned utter horseshit, need a reverse effect at some point and hope if signed he’s the one!

5 goals and 1 assist in 86 appearances since moving to Europe. Clearly the goal scoring and creative midfielder we all want....

I know we have Hagi now but in how many games do we actually need yet another defensive minded midfielder?
What if he is better than every other DM we have? Does that not matter?

Hard to judge someone on a YouTube video

I have horrible feeling these signings aren’t addressing the issues of last season however.....poor at the back, lack of formation change, lack of striking options

I hope I’m wrong, but I have a feeling this season may unravel quickly if we don’t start well at Pittodrie....

Coor
We need a goalscoring midfielder and a defensive midfielder IMO. Don't have a problem with this signing as long as we manage to get both.
Correct people spitting theist dummy oot as if this is our last signing of window.
Full of absolute morons on here

Hard to judge someone on a YouTube video

I have horrible feeling these signings aren’t addressing the issues of last season however.....poor at the back, lack of formation change, lack of striking options

I hope I’m wrong, but I have a feeling this season may unravel quickly if we don’t start well at Pittodrie....

Glass half full guy I see.

Not knowing anything about the player I can’t form an opinion. However given the price tag and age/experience this is the types of players we should be going for that are here to play in the 1st team and push those around them for their place. We need competition for 1st team spots not squad players.

I seriously hope so and don’t get me wrong I am incredibly excited about Hagi’s signing and potential. However, he did only score once against Scottish opposition last season so it’s maybe a bit premature to put our main goal scoring midfielder hopes on him right now.

Edit,.mis-read

What if he is better than every other DM we have? Does that not matter?
If we sign him and he is, then brilliant, he will get my full support! If he was costing £1-2m I would not have made the same comment. However, for the fee quoted I just personally feel we have more pressing areas to strengthen (primarily creativity and goals against low block Scottish teams). Then again maybe the quoted fee is inflated, maybe we have a lot more cash available then I would have thought we do given coronavirus and the Kent and Hagi signings, maybe we are close to selling someone for big money,...or maybe it’s all made up?

Close to signing him for £3.5m according to the Scotsman. If someone could copy and paste it’d be appreciated. Thanks to @johnnybravo for translation
Exclusive: Rangers in talks to sign £3.5m South African star
Rangers are closing in on the signing of South African international Bongani Zungu.
By Joe Crann
Wednesday, 15th July 2020, 4:28 pm
Amiens' Bongani Zungu is in talks with Rangers.
Amiens' Bongani Zungu is in talks with Rangers.
Gers boss Steven Gerrard is known to be chasing a new signing to boost his midfield, and the net appears to be closing around Zungu after the Ibrox club opened negotiations with French side Amiens.

Zungu, 27, has been steadily making his way in Europe over the past few years, leaving African giants Mamelodi Sundowns for Vitoria de Guimaraes in Portugal, before finding his way to Amiens in Ligue 1.

Rangers: Get the latest team news, match previews and reports
Enter your email
Now, after a move to Mallorca in LaLiga fell through earlier this year, it’s looking more and more likely that Gerrard will add him to his ranks in Glasgow ahead of the 2020/21 season.

The Scotsman understands that, while talks are still ongoing between the two clubs, Rangers are close to striking a deal with Amiens as things stand.

The recently-relegated side are willing to let him leave for around €4million (approximately £3.5million) after he entered into the last year of his contract in the north of France, which is a fee that Rangers are prepared to meet in order to get their man.

It’s thought that a long-term deal is on the table waiting for Zungu should the two teams eventually come to an agreement, with the Bafana Bafana international eager to make the switch to Scotland and play UEFA Europa League football under Gerrard next season.

His agent, Alexis Ramalingam, confirmed that he was in talks with a number of clubs about a move, and the Gers have jumped to the front of the queue.

“There’s a big possibility that he leaves France this summer but we can’t comment about any clubs for now in order to respect the clubs we are in talks with,” he said.

“There’s interest in Ligue 1 and in other parts of Europe but I just can’t reveal where for now.”

Zungu got two goals in last year’s African Cup of Nations while playing for Stuart Baxter’s South African side, and has played around 60 games in France following his move from Portugal in 2017.

Gerrard has already added to his squad this summer with the signings of Ianis Hagi, Calvin Bassey and goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin.
Doesn’t look like great value for money at all based on number of games he has played...must be injured a lot...or not very good.

Back