Rangers are closing in on the signing of South African international Bongani Zungu - The Scotsman

An experienced midfielder is what we need.

Jack when he is on peak form is good enough but he can't perform at 100% regularly he cleary struggles with an ongoing injury.

Davis despite the nonsense on here that he is better than ever has been inconsistent and is in the twilight of his career.

I don't know this player but we do need a guy who is experienced but still young and fit enough to be a key player.

Jack and Davis can still contribute but not over a whole season imo.

Last edited:
We haven't lacked the ability to win second balls, press or dispossess the opponent during Gerrard's spell at all. It's arguably one of the teams strong points.

The people who say we do always give examples from the 80's too.

The press went out the window second half of the season. The players didn't like the in your face attitude from Hearts, Kilmarnock, St. Johnstone or Aberdeen. Take a kick and it ruffles them up. The player I mentioned, Spackman, wasn't exactly a hatchet man.

I'll mention players of the 2000's + if you'd really like me to?

I’ll probably get abuse for this but for me RW has still to prove himself on signings
At Rangers specifically? It's unarguably the case if so. He isn't the head of recruitment but he undoubtedly will have influence

That being said, Bassey is quite a promising sign.

An experienced midfielder is what we need.

Jack when he is on peak form is good enough but he clearly can't perform at 100% regularly he cleary struggles with an ongoing injury.

Davis despite the nonsense on here that he is better than ever has been inconsistent and is in the twilight of his career.

I don't know this player but we do need a guy who is experienced but still young and fit enough to be a key player.

Jack and Davis can still contribute but not over a whole season imo.
I agree with this . I’d also add that I hope Aribo is now used to the league and will now step up a gear. I’d also like one more midfielder and hold on to Kamara

The press went out the window second half of the season. The players didn't like the in your face attitude from Hearts, Kilmarnock, St. Johnstone or Aberdeen. Take a kick and it ruffles them up. The player I mentioned, Spackman, wasn't exactly a hatchet man.

Our problem in those games was sloppy passing

I agree with this . I’d also add that I hope Aribo is now used to the league and will now step up a gear. I’d also like one more midfielder and hold on to Kamara

In theory Aribo and Kamara should benefit massively from last season but we are in agreement.

At Rangers specifically? It's unarguably the case if so. He isn't the head of recruitment but he undoubtedly will have influence

That being said, Bassey is quite a promising sign.
He’s been hailed the man. Southampton did have some garbage on their books

Hopefully he will be the type of player who can sit in the midfield and let Aribo/Arfield get further forward and offer us the defensive solidity to play Hagi through the middle. If it goes through I would be hippyish but id still want at least 1 more - a right sided attacking player.

Just a guess, but I think Ross Wilson will know if this guy is the right player for us over 99.9% of the posters on here.

And he’ll know his reputation depends on it as well so needs to get it right. This lad will of been watched plenty and stats scrutinised. Biggest concern for any player coming to us is can they handle the pressure of expectation

He’s been hailed the man. Southampton did have some garbage on their books
Wilson was only appointed Director of Football around November 2018,he replaced Les Reed who they got rid of became of the garbage he signed. Only really fair you judge him on January 2019 window and summer 2019 window. You can’t argue with your original point although Hagi and nearly getting Vydra is promising signs.

Wilson was only appointed Director of Football around November 2018,he replaced Les Reed who they got rid of became of the garbage he signed. Only really fair you judge him on January 2019 window and summer 2019 window. You can’t argue with your original point although Hagi and nearly getting Vydra is promising signs.
Gerrard had been tracking Hagi well before RW arrived

Those windows have seen them get their best points total in a few seasons this year

Our problem in those games was sloppy passing
That was a contributing factor, but also the passes we decided to make at times. The Hearts equaliser, just after the resumption of the the season was the worst play I have seen in years from a Rangers team; I couldn't believe how bad we were for that goal, and it ended up costing us dearly from then on. Perhaps so many of the first team think they can't be removed by someone from the bench; maybe if we had real depth in the first team we would be less complacent. I have my doubts about this player here we are linked with, and if he is what we require, but I'm willing to be wrong, and hope I am.

That was a contributing factor, but also the passes we decided to make at times. The Hearts equaliser, just after the resumption of the the season was the worst play I have seen in years from a Rangers team; I couldn't believe how bad we were for that goal, and it ended up costing us dearly from then on. Perhaps so many of the first team think they can't be removed by someone from the bench; maybe if we had real depth in the first team we would be less complacent. I have my doubts about the player we are linked with, but I'm willing to be wrong, and hope I am.
I personally think this has been a huge factor, we are very light in midfield in particular. We quite often didn't have anyone on the bench

Watched his Youtube highlights when we were first linked and now just sat and watched his last game for Amiens away to Marseille.

Against Marseille he played as a 6, the deepest midfielder for Amiens but still used his engine and pace to get about the pitch. Won 7 of his 12 defensive duels (3/4 aerially, 5/8 on the ground) and I found him to be quite nippy when the other team had possession. Closes down space and players really well with his acceleration. One or two dirty tackles which will please folk on here, definitely not scared to get rough.

Took a closer look in to the stats to see if he is usually as good defensively and he is 19th in Ligue 1 for recoveries p90 and 10th for counter-pressing recoveries p90 (suits our pressing game).

On the ball is what we really want to know though, as for the majority of every game we'll be in possession. In this game he didn't have too much possession, but it was always a forward pass when he did (to be expected in his position, although it can be easy to play it backwards against tough opposition). Technically efficient, there was instances when he was under pressure and still completed a pass, sometimes not the right one as his body shape can be a bit too narrow when receiving, but very comfortable on the ball.

He played a really good pass forward which put Guirassy through in the box and won a penalty, and to back they type of passes up he is 11th in Ligue 1 for progressive passes p90. He has a good range.

I think we'll play him as a box to box 8. Some of his play as a number 10 for South Africa looks very decent (not seen a full game, only highlights) and he is clearly very decent as a number 6 for Amiens.

P.S watching that makes me utterly gutted we didn't get Guirassy.

Watched his Youtube highlights when we were first linked and now just sat and watched his last game for Amiens away to Marseille.

Against Marseille he played as a 6, the deepest midfielder for Amiens but still used his engine and pace to get about the pitch. Won 7 of his 12 defensive duels (3/4 aerially, 5/8 on the ground) and I found him to be quite nippy when the other team had possession. Closes down space and players really well with his acceleration. One or two dirty tackles which will please folk on here, definitely not scared to get rough.

Took a closer look in to the stats to see if he is usually as good defensively and he is 19th in Ligue 1 for recoveries p90 and 10th for counter-pressing recoveries p90 (suits our pressing game).

On the ball is what we really want to know though, as for the majority of every game we'll be in possession. In this game he didn't have too much possession, but it was always a forward pass when he did (to be expected in his position, although it can be easy to play it backwards against tough opposition). Technically efficient, there was instances when he was under pressure and still completed a pass, sometimes not the right one as his body shape can be a bit too narrow when receiving, but very comfortable on the ball.

He played a really good pass forward which put Guirassy through in the box and won a penalty, and to back they type of passes up he is 11th in Ligue 1 for progressive passes p90. He has a good range.

I think we'll play him as a box to box 8. Some of his play as a number 10 for South Africa looks very decent (not seen a full game, only highlights) and he is clearly very decent as a number 6 for Amiens.

Sorry but informed opinions aren't allowed on here mate

That is an excellent summary. Fair play to you mate.

Good analysis - but he doesn't score goals.

I am lost at this signing to be honest! I would have our money or funds would be going on players to break defences down not break up play?
Of course I will get slated but attacking players are always dearer and for me players who sit and break up play are hardly in high demand

He was in the match day squad 23 times last season (shortened).

Started 9 games and played 90 mins 5 times.

I am lost at this signing to be honest! I would have our money or funds would be going on players to break defences down not break up play?
Of course I will get slated but attacking players are always dearer and for me players who sit and break up play are hardly in high demand
We need both, our midfield was an absolute shambles after the break, not just at breaking teams down but in overall play most games it was as though we had 8 players on the pitch.

Did Tav not say that our team could not handle In your face teams.

*Applause*

Far better spend money to get you Fergie from sheep. Plenty dig, good engine And chips in with goal or two, we know he can handle SPL

We need both, our midfield was an absolute shambles after the break, not just at breaking teams down but in overall play most games it was as though we had 8 players on the pitch.
So we end up with Davis, Jack and Zungo at home to Ross County?

Far better spend money to get you Fergie from sheep. Plenty dig, good engine And chips in with goal or two, we know he can handle SPL
I agree with this and there’s potential for a sell on as well, this amount on this type of player is just not making sense

We need (obviously) better quality though FF seems obsessed with hard men and physicality. Better players will ensure we control games. Better players will mean we take our chances, which was the huge difference with Celtic in the 2nd half of the season.

I think it was 2015 mate.

Seriously......FFS......
He has a valid point though? I am sorry to post this but how many destroyers to the scum have? Because I can’t think of one? Which tells me we don’t need destroyers to win our league

Back