Rangers are closing in on the signing of South African international Bongani Zungu - The Scotsman

Wouldn’t really agree with that at all mate. For the fee paid for Kent, his performances in domestic competition have been absolutely miles off being acceptable. Hagi is only just in the door and also didn’t offer enough in our domestic games, Aribo has blown hot and cold, Kamara gets a pass for his fee being so low but was an absolute nightmare at times too and Arfield was horribly off form for ages and is another who just hasn’t really cut it when the goings got tough.

Katic i find it hard to include because he clearly doesn’t ever want to make him a regular starter and he’s used him as a bit of a punchbag, add to that Katic’s form has also nose dived twice in a way that it just can’t if you’re looking to win titles.
They're all leading players within the league in their respective positions.

The only complete failure was Grezda but that was more down to attitude than ability.

The failure rate is low enough to trust them on bigger signings imo

Only my opinion and we may well be interested in the south african chap but no chance we are paying around £3.5million on hagi but £3.5-4million on zungu.

In last year of contract, club just been relegated and limited game time over past few seasons id be more inclined to believe a fee of around £2-£2.5 million.

Remember scottish MSM we are talking here, they inflated barisics price and another one of our signings who i cant remember right now, gerrard called them out on both.

So let me get this straight.

We're signing a guy who is 27 and only played 150 games.

He's played 57 games for Amiens scoring twice, managing only one assist.

His best season was at a university team.

He's clearly injury prone.

And we're paying 3.5 million for him, hopefully i'll wake up and this is just a dream.

Last edited:
They're all leading players within the league in their respective positions.

The only complete failure was Grezda but that was more down to attitude than ability.

The failure rate is low enough to trust them on bigger signings imo

Well I respect your opinion but I wouldn’t necessarily agree. His big signing going on live television to hint that the weight of expectation in domestic competition makes it too difficult for them to perform, is a massive red flag for me.

I don’t think it’s an outright failure but there’s not enough there for me to say “good enough for Gerrard, good enough for me”.

Last edited:
he's a bit injury prone.
Is he ? He had a metabolic illness that put him out for a few months,injury prone is someone that is contantly injured,Gotze has had a fantastic career with the medals to prove it.

Besides the wee smilie face might have indicated i wasn't really being serious.

Well I respect your opinion but I wouldn’t necessarily agree. His big singing going on live television to hint that the weight of expectation in domestic competition makes it too difficult for them to perform, is a massive red flag for me.

I don’t think it’s an outright failure but there’s not enough there for me to say “good enough for Gerrard, good enough for me”.
Honesty isn't a red flag for me, I'd rather it over the empty words you usually get from football players. Kent was extremely productive for us pre January, his goal involvement was much higher than the assist stat suggests.

After the break he was trying too hard and essentially ran himself into the ground.

The outlay on Kent was about right imo and I have no major concerns about key transfers going forward. That will change when I see reason for it to change.

I understand that it's valid to disagree with me on that but most people on this thread are bashing the idea seemingly for the sake of it.

Only my opinion and we may well be interested in the south african chap but no chance we are paying around £3.5million on hagi but £3.5-4million on zungu.

In last year of contract, club just been relegated and limited game time over past few seasons id be more inclined to believe a fee of around £2-£2.5 million.

Remember scottish MSM we are talking here, they inflated barisics price and another one of our signings who i cant remember right now, gerrard called them out on both.
I wouldn't even pay £2m for him, to challenge the unwashed this season we need to bring in far better quality and must be the correct players to make the team stronger and much better,bringing in the wrong players will see the unwashed win another title and we'll be stuck once again with under achievers on long contracts.

Our signings have to be 100% spot on and improve the team greatly,otherwise we're just spunking money down the drain with no improvement.

Honesty isn't a red flag for me, I'd rather it over the empty words you usually get from football players. Kent was extremely productive for us pre January, his goal involvement was much higher than the assist stat suggests.

After the break he was trying too hard and essentially ran himself into the ground.

The outlay on Kent was about right imo and I have no major concerns about key transfers going forward. That will change when I see reason for it to change.

I understand that it's valid to disagree with me on that but most people on this thread are bashing the idea seemingly for the sake of it.

Well trying to win titles by signing players whose game falls apart under the weight of being expected to win titles is certainly a giant red flag to me. The issue wasn’t with Kent’s honesty, I was fine with it, it was more to do with the shocking (or not so shocking if you watched us closely) revelation about the mentality of our team.

I think what you say was true of Kent when he was here on loan a couple of seasons ago, a lot of good play where he didn’t register a direct goal or assist, but last season I just thought he was miles from good enough for £7m. And ultimately, I can’t can’t give a pass mark for signings when the signings look like they can’t handle pressure very well.

I've been well dissapointed in Kent, looked the business when he was on loan and the majority wanted him signed, since he signed he has been too inconsistent for me and not the same as the Kent that was on loan.

Still think we paid well over the odds for him given he was a Liverpool academy player, really hope Hagi doesn't turn out the same because he's now signed,he looked pretty good on loan but there were games he was posted missing.

Always try to be positive but I don’t really understand this move. For the reported fee he’s going to play more often than not and on paper, I just don’t get it.

Can’t see him being any different or being a total stand out to what’s here already. And players coming into the starting 11 really, really need to now be a stand out.

Has he
Always try to be positive but I don’t really understand this move. For the reported fee he’s going to play more often than not and on paper, I just don’t get it.

Can’t see him being any different or being a total stand out to what’s here already. And players coming into the starting 11 really, really need to now be a stand out.
Has he signed?

Seems to be gathering pace on the socials

3 weeks ago it was discussed on the transfer thread
Now it has w thread of its own

An lots of different tweets on the subject
From all our local papers

An my timeline got some re tweets of foreign journalists aswel

Is he ? He had a metabolic illness that put him out for a few months,injury prone is someone that is contantly injured,Gotze has had a fantastic career with the medals to prove it.

Besides the wee smilie face might have indicated i wasn't really being serious.

wages would be a difficult one, very unrealistic signing, injury/sickness prone - anyway lets just say this wont happen and i'd bet my mortgage this transfer doesn't happen :)

I've never heard of the guy, I've never seen the guy play, so forgive me for not jumping on the FF bandwagon and saying he's not good enough before seeing him. Id like to think we have done our homework and know more than FF "experts".

And for the folk saying "if he's good enough for Gerrard he's good enough for me"... really? How many pish signings has Gerrard made for us in his 2 seasons here? I'll put my faith in his signings because there's really no choice at this stage, but being signed by Gerrard does not guarantee that you're anything close to a good player I'm afraid.

It’s mental mate. Absolute blind faith.

This is a guy playing in the French top flight, who was about to join a la liga club in feb had it not been for amiens deciding last minute to keep him. Along with his international career, it is clear he is a quality player. The only question mark can be his injuries for me.

It’s mental mate. Absolute blind faith.

Do not under any circumstances criticize Steven Gerrard, hes the messiah don't you know. So many people are blinded by Gerrard's shortcomings because he's "Gerrard".

in my opinion he is very much in the last chance saloon, if he doesn't win the league this year he has to go, and for people saying what about Europe etc etc, i don't care to be honest, Rangers managers should be judged on the domestic honors they win with Europe being no more than a nice bonus.

Been busy for once today in work so haven't spent any time on FF.

Have to say this seems like it would be a fucking weird signing. Bizarre stuff

Do not under any circumstances criticize Steven Gerrard, hes the messiah don't you know. So many people are blinded by Gerrard's shortcomings because he's "Gerrard".

in my opinion he is very much in the last chance saloon, if he doesn't win the league this year he has to go, and for people saying what about Europe etc etc, i don't care to be honest, Rangers managers should be judged on the domestic honors they win with Europe being no more than a nice bonus.
Any other manager that was in charge while that mob strolled to back to back trebles would be deemed one of the worst in our history. That’s all I’ll say

Any other manager that was in charge while that mob strolled to back to back trebles would be deemed one of the worst in our history. That’s all I’ll say

I'm sure a lot of people would agree while a lot of others will fall back on the look at the progress we have made argument, progress with no success isn't actually progress at all. In a two horse race finishing second is not good enough.

Regardless of what we think the nature of FF is that people will have polar opposite opinions and will always have excuses and arguments to back up their points of view. That's just the way it is. However its all good as "Gerrard" is our manager and he's dead famous.

Nailed on the head really. People have scoffed at it from the get go but his celebrity and status as a player blatantly exerts a strong influence on many. A smaller less glamorous name doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt, blind faith or the high level of protection as Gerrard if he achieves the same results and makes the same errors.

People can deny that until they’re blue in the face (and clearly many are choosing to do just that) but I think deep down they know it’s true. It’s even more clear that it’s true when you never get a proper retort or well reasoned explanation from them to show why that in fact isn’t the case, it usually just ends in an attack on the naysayers (“you’re desperate for him to fail” and all that complete and utter nonsense).

He has to get it right this time, if we once again end up spilling points because we can’t break teams down and mix it up tactically, or because Tav, or Goldson whoever drop clangers but continue to be the first names on the team-sheet each and every week, or if we keep making the same predictable subs and coming up short when the heat is really on, then he’ll deserve to come under great pressure and have his position questioned.

Ultimately, I’m still right behind him for now, but if it’s the same shite again then I’ll be shifting into the camp that says change is needed and having a big name and a one time top-level player in the dugout doesn’t supersede my desire to see us win trophies. Basically, the gaffer’s profile isn’t quite enough on its own to keep me happy as a Rangers fan.

I'm sure a lot of people would agree while a lot of others will fall back on the look at the progress we have made argument, progress with no success isn't actually progress at all. In a two horse race finishing second is not good enough.

Regardless of what we think the nature of FF is that people will have polar opposite opinions and will always have excuses and arguments to back up their points of view. That's just the way it is. However its all good as "Gerrard" is our manager and he's dead famous.
The progress is clear and appreciated, however like you’ve said it’s very much sink or swim time for him and many of his players. We’ve had time to catch up it’s now time to take over and it’s his job to see to it that there’s trophy’s in the cabinet this season

Who's this guy everyone always references when saying you can't criticize Gerrard? Because I've never come across him on here. He gets criticism all the time, fairly and unfairly.

Gerrard has done some good but not enough yet. Some people have seen enough progress to still have confidence, others haven't, it's that simple. Nobody (or at least a minuscule amount of people) says or think he's untouchable.

I know nothing about this guy and going only on the stats that have been posted on this thread he looks very much like both Kamara and Jack.

Neat and tidy in possession but not the most creative and given we play very much a possession based game then he may prove to be an upgrade at the base of the midfield.
FFS if we signed Messi these bed wetters would still moan...
Each to their own I'd rather we signed a midfielder with a record of scoring goals. If your happy with a similar type player to the system we already play fair enough.

Who's this guy everyone always references when saying you can't criticize Gerrard? Because I've never come across him on here. He gets criticism all the time, fairly and unfairly.

Gerrard has done some good but not enough yet. Some people have seen enough progress to still have confidence, others haven't, it's that simple. Nobody (or at least a minuscule amount of people) says or think he's untouchable.

Gerrard in my opinion has some ardent fans on here and they in my opinion are not minuscule. That's only my opinion right enough.

Nailed on the head really. People have scoffed at it from the get go but his celebrity and status as a player blatantly exerts a strong influence on many. A smaller less glamorous name doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt, blind faith or the high level of protection as Gerrard if he achieves the same results and makes the same errors.

People can deny that until they’re blue in the face (and clearly many are choosing to do just that) but I think deep down they know it’s true. It’s even more clear that it’s true when you never get a proper retort or well reasoned explanation from them to show why that in fact isn’t the case, it usually just ends in an attack on the naysayers (“you’re desperate for him to fail” and all that complete and utter nonsense).

He has to get it right this time, if we once again end up spilling points because we can’t break teams down and mix it up tactically, or because Tav, or Goldson whoever drop clangers but continue to be the first names on the team-sheet each and every week, or if we keep making the same predictable subs and coming up short when the heat is really on, then he’ll deserve to come under great pressure and have his position questioned.

Ultimately, I’m still right behind him for now, but if it’s the same shite again then I’ll be shifting into the camp that says change is needed and being a big name and a one time top-level player doesn’t supersede my desire to see us win trophies, and that the gaffers profile isn’t quite enough on its own to keep me happy as a Rangers fan.

While I think his name gives him a bit of leeway, I don't think it's nearly as much as you think. People look at the good progress we've made and how the team looked in Europe and pre-New Year and are just hopeful he can get that out of a team over the course of a season.

When he has us playing well we play amazingly well, so it's not as if people base their confidence or hope on nothing at all. It's simply a matter of people saying 'if he can just get that from them for 12 months rather than 6' – which is ultimately the thing nobody knows. This will be his last chance to shows us if he can.

In domestic terms there was no real progress anyway. We beat Celtic at the piggery but had an even more jarring post-new year collapse and excited the Scottish Cup in an even more embarrassing style so regardless of how folk try to dress it up, there was no progress there.

There’s very good progress when he’s measured against the previous 3 managers (and he deserves a lot of credit for this and giving us some brilliant European nights), but you can only do that for so long, and you also have to factor in that the 3 previous occupants of his job were absolutely dreadful appointments.

Looks neat and tidy, and much like Jack, or Davis ..or in some respects Hagi.
But we need an enforcer.
Someone who will win the ball, and make good use of it.
We already have players who can spray passes, and box to box.

Would much rather we also signed Ferguson. Tried and trusted for this league.
No brainer.
Do we?because I never see any of our midfielders spray any passes tbh

Gerrard in my opinion has some ardent fans on here and they in my opinion are not minuscule. That's only my opinion right enough.

He should have ardent fans, he's our manager – you could probably count me as one of them even though I still have my doubts. That's different from claiming he's above criticism for some folk which just isn't the case.

Gerrard gets a healthy amount of criticism as does everyone on FF.

I hope to fück he does it this season, ma heart needs it.

I get that Gerrard has been two years without a trophy and has definitely made mistakes but the team we are trying to beat has a budget that is double ours.
They spent 7m on a new defender and our top three defenders (Goldson/Helander and Katic) cost 8.5m
They spent 9m on a striker and have recently pulled in 25m and 19m on their last two big sales.
Along with that they were paying Rodgers like 40k a week to be the manager.
It is definitely brutal times with them winning two trebles along with the rest but he is managing our team and dealing with a financial gap that none of our successful managers ever had to deal with.
I get that money isn't everything but it definitely give you a chance to get more signings right and fix holes in your team a helluva lot quicker.

Note: Before anyone brings up the 7m on Kent (who I agree has not lived up to his price tag) they also spent 7m on a 3rd choice striker and defensive midfielder who have both played probably around 5 mins all season.

While I think his name gives him a bit of leeway, I don't think it's nearly as much as you think. People look at the good progress we've made and how the team looked in Europe and pre-New Year and are just hopeful he can get that out of a team over the course of a season.

When he has us playing well we play amazingly well, so it's not as if people base their confidence or hope on nothing at all. It's simply a matter of people saying 'if he can just get that from them for 12 months rather than 6' – which is ultimately the thing nobody knows. This will be his last chance to shows us if he can.

Fair enough mate, but I’d definitely couldn’t agree. I can’t see people getting the sort of aggressive responses they get for discussing his shortcomings if it’s a lesser name, same way I can’t see people giving it “if it’s good enough for the manager it’s good enough for me” after the two seasons we’ve just had. For me there’s just absolutely no way that happens with a manager of his limited experience if they have a more ordinary profile.

As you can probably see above, I also think we need to make good progress season on season, especially when we’re spending more money, and for me, last seasons performance compared with his first season, doesn’t really represent progress at all. In fact the way things were headed pre-lockdown, I wouldn’t have been shocked if he was no longer the Rangers manager right now. That’s how bad we were and that’s how lost he looked.

Last edited:

Think both come hand in hand really without a decent European season would mean less funds coming into the club and a lot of clubs, id include us in that rely on it to be able to be a really good side but on the other hand we need to win the league to be in CL where the big money is and honestly a few years qualifying for the groups would enable us to enhance the team season on season, plus if you look in most leagues it’s the team that spends the most season on season that wins although we spent a decent amount last season Celtic nearly doubled that in transfer fees then there’s the wages, need a mixture of both but some people don’t realise how much further behind financially we were

Fair enough mate, but I’d definitely couldn’t agree. I can’t see people getting the sort of aggressive responses they get for discussing his shortcomings if it’s a lesser name, same way I can’t see people giving it “if it’s good enough for the manager it’s good enough for me” after the two seasons we’ve just had. For me there’s just absolutely no way that happens with a manager of his limited experience of they have a more ordinary profile.

As you can probably see above, I also think we need to make good progress season on season, especially when we’re spending more money, and for me, last seasons performance compared with his first season, doesn’t really represent progress at all. In fact the way things were headed pre-lockdown, I wouldn’t have been shocked if he was no longer the Rangers manager right now. That’s how bad we were and that’s how lost he looked.

Yeah, January on was really bad – I still can't really wrap my head around it. Part of me thinks it was just burnout from playing too much and not having enough quality in the squad to rotate and a few good additions will fix it...but I don't know if that's just wishful thinking.

3.5 million is a lot and in a position, we are filled unless Kamara is being sold then it might make sense. If the deal is buy this guy for 3.5 at DM and Sell Kamara for 6 who wouldn't take that?

Yeah, January on was really bad – I still can't really wrap my head around it. Part of me thinks it was just burnout from playing too much and not having enough quality in the squad to rotate and a few good additions will fix it...but I don't know if that's just wishful thinking.

I couldn’t even begin to explain exactly what went on. But looking at the performances, the similarity in trend from the previous season, and Kent’s words, I’d say at the root of it all was a serious problem stemming from our player’s mentality; more specifically their ability to handle pressure.

Even then I’m still shocked at just how bad it had gotten, we eventually got to a point of going into every single game feeling like there was a decent chance we could drop points.

I get that Gerrard has been two years without a trophy and has definitely made mistakes but the team we are trying to beat has a budget that is double ours.
They spent 7m on a new defender and our top three defenders (Goldson/Helander and Katic) cost 8.5m
They spent 9m on a striker and have recently pulled in 25m and 19m on their last two big sales.
Along with that they were paying Rodgers like 40k a week to be the manager.
It is definitely brutal times with them winning two trebles along with the rest but he is managing our team and dealing with a financial gap that none of our successful managers ever had to deal with.
I get that money isn't everything but it definitely give you a chance to get more signings right and fix holes in your team a helluva lot quicker.

Note: Before anyone brings up the 7m on Kent (who I agree has not lived up to his price tag) they also spent 7m on a 3rd choice striker and defensive midfielder who have both played probably around 5 mins all season.

Did you read my above post? you've done exactly what i said someone would do and started making excuses about why we are where we are. I don't care about any of the above or what they do. Its about what we do and getting the most from the team we have who were able to beat the expensively assembled squad you are going an about above.

Our issue is one major thing and that thing is "consistency of performance" once we get our level to the same one week on week that seen us brutalize them at their own coup then we will win 55.

Think both come hand in hand really without a decent European season would mean less funds coming into the club and a lot of clubs, id include us in that rely on it to be able to be a really good side but on the other hand we need to win the league to be in CL where the big money is and honestly a few years qualifying for the groups would enable us to enhance the team season on season, plus if you look in most leagues it’s the team that spends the most season on season that wins although we spent a decent amount last season Celtic nearly doubled that in transfer fees then there’s the wages, need a mixture of both but some people don’t realise how much further behind financially we were

I think there’s a fair point somewhere in there IF we were talking about actually winning the title. The issue people have is we’ve spent more than enough to at least challenge for the title and be able to beat the rest of the sides in the league with far more consistency and we’ve absolutely failed in that regard. The record against Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Hibs is appalling and I’ll guarantee none of them are spending what we are, nor are they paying anything like the sorts of wages we are.

I’m a firm believer that we can take them if we spend well and if we spend wisely. If money guaranteed success then Man Utd wouldn’t be fighting for a top 4 spot with Leicester City and a depleted Chelsea, and Sheffield United and Wolves wouldn’t be sitting above the likes of Arsenal.

Did you read my above post? you've done exactly what i said someone would do and started making excuses about why we are where we are. I don't care about any of the above or what they do. Its about what we do and getting the most from the team we have who were able to beat the expensively assembled squad you are going an about above.

Our issue is one major thing and that thing is "consistency of performance" once we get our level to the same one week on week that seen us brutalize them at their own coup then we will win 55.

I personally do like Gerrard so maybe I am a bit biased on this topic.
I am not one for excuses and if we make it simple then yes, Gerrard has not delivered yet. However, I posted about their budget and team because I think it's fair to say that usually more expensive players have the potential to be better-not just skill wise but in having the mentality needed to compete at a high level, game in game out-which as you have said-we can't do. Along with that, we have challenges (at least domestically in dealing with pressure)
Maybe that is down to Gerrard and his staff not training the mental side of the game or maybe it is down to the fact that we don't have good enough players-not just skill wise but as proper professionals/winners or maybe it's a combination of both.
I guess that's the fun part of being on a forum as we all have our opinions of what we need to be successful.

Let’s be clear - nobody really has a fucking clue here.

Could be a hidden gem late developer, could be a massive stretch. I have faith that our scouting department have done their job.

Encouraging for me that we are looking to add a CM and willing to spend.

Latest posts

Back