Rangers barrels

Gertwin

The barrels are cracking but a bit pricy. Can you get them made without any inscriptions on them to drive down the cost?

Just_Perfect & Warranted

I seasoned this cask with some ruby port. It now contains 2 bottles of Speyside malt. Should be nice.

Barrels are very nice.

Couple of questions mate -

How long did you season the barrels with the Port?

After the Port seasoning, how long would you need to keep the Whisky in it to take on some of the Port flavours?

Once you've finished the Whisky, I'm guessing you'd need to season the barrel again before adding the Whisky?

Intrepid

Can I thank you all for your feedback.
This is massively helpful. I'll be looking to make some progress with our club asap.
I will keep you all updated with developments.

It's obvious there are mixed opinions on the clocks. TBH they were made just prior to the memorabilia day at the Louden. Please feedback any ideas you have for alternative designs. I personally think the Stevie G clock is great. I think I've developed manlove.

Altogether_now

They look cracking and a lot of time went into them but to be honest no chance would I pay that. Possibly because I don't have a lot of expendable income

Intrepid

Barrels are very nice.

Couple of questions mate -

How long did you season the barrels with the Port?

After the Port seasoning, how long would you need to keep the Whisky in it to take on some of the Port flavours?

Once you've finished the Whisky, I'm guessing you'd need to season the barrel again before adding the Whisky?
In order JP&W,

This only requires a few days. I have left it for a few weeks but it's not really required from a whisky finish standpoint.

The trick here is to retain a sample of the whisky you put in the cask. You can then make a comparison of colour and taste after a few weeks. 4 minimum I'd say.

This is really a matter of personal choice. You can, but you don't have to. The whisky you add later will be influenced by whatever was last in the cask.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or require more detail let me know.

Just_Perfect & Warranted

In order JP&W,

This only requires a few days. I have left it for a few weeks but it's not really required from a whisky finish standpoint.

The trick here is to retain a sample of the whisky you put in the cask. You can then make a comparison of colour and taste after a few weeks. 4 minimum I'd say.

This is really a matter of personal choice. You can, but you don't have to. The whisky you add later will be influenced by whatever was last in the cask.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or require more detail let me know.

Cheers Pal.

Great idea by the way. I do like a malt finished off in barrels that have contained a different type of wine/fortified wines.
Sauternes finish is amazing too actually. To be able to experiment yourself would definitely appeal to whisky lovers.

The Rangers barrel would take it to another level :p

DeeCeeTee

Love the barrels, not keen on the clocks at all.

The barrels I would be interested in buying for myself and for gifts, but as mentioned a couple of times, I think the branding is maybe a bit too much. These will almost certainly be a discussion piece for anyone entering a room, so let the new owner do the selling for you.

Personally I would be happy with the logo on the back of the barrel, and the logo on one end of the stand to allow whoever to have it showing at the front or not depending on which way it is facing. If available like that, I would have no hesitation in buying them.

Intrepid

Love the barrels, not keen on the clocks at all.

The barrels I would be interested in buying for myself and for gifts, but as mentioned a couple of times, I think the branding is maybe a bit too much. These will almost certainly be a discussion piece for anyone entering a room, so let the new owner do the selling for you.

Personally I would be happy with the logo on the back of the barrel, and the logo on one end of the stand to allow whoever to have it showing at the front or not depending on which way it is facing. If available like that, I would have no hesitation in buying them.
Hi DCT,
The barrels and the stand will be personalised to your specification. It's a bit more time consuming in preparing the stencilling on the computer and having you the customer okay the images and fonts etc.
All doable.
Thank you for your feedback this is all fantastic.
My dream is to get one into the Blue Room.
I will cry if it ever happens.
Having watched the last Loving Cup ceremony where they put lemonade into Glenmorangie they could do with some guidance on matters whisky.

tampabear74

I've recently started a business making 1.4L whisky barrels. They are made from ex whisky casks. They are aimed at the 2m whisky tourists who visit whisky distilleries each year. However, I was prompted by a thread on here which asked what products you would like to see in the post Fatso Rangers shop. I made some prototype Rangers barrels. I also made some clocks (also in solid oak)
I've been in contact with Scott Morrison (head of commercial partnerships) at the club. He feels that the Rangers support would be interested in Rangers branded wee whisky barrels.
It would help if you were to give me some feedback on the wee barrels (and clocks).
The wee barrels are perfectly functional in that they will further mature any spirit you put in the cask. It needn't be whisky. They will work with bourbon, vodka, rum, gin. Any spirit really.
I displayed the prototypes recently at the memorabilia day at the Louden (Thank you Robert).
As for price, I would have get some agreement with the club before I know what this would be at the shop.
So, whadya think?

I will take one of each thank you just like us Gers supporters very classy

DeeCeeTee

Hi DCT,
The barrels and the stand will be personalised to your specification. It's a bit more time consuming in preparing the stencilling on the computer and having you the customer okay the images and fonts etc.
All doable.
Thank you for your feedback this is all fantastic.
My dream is to get one into the Blue Room.
I will cry if it ever happens.
Having watched the last Loving Cup ceremony where they put lemonade into Glenmorangie they could do with some guidance on matters whisky.
Hi, good to hear they can be fully personalised. What I meant is your company logo which is on both ends of the barrel and on the stand which personally I feel is a bit much. Maybe on the website you could have a drop down menu for whether the customer would want "The Wee Barrell Co" logo on the front, back or both ends of the barrel.

This could potentially save you extra time etching the wood, and allowing customers some sort of debranding while still having your logo on the product somewhere.

Baxter's Boots

The clocks I think would look better without the individuals on them, I think just the crest would look smarter. The barrels are absolutely class though and I'd love one. £150 I think is a wee bitty expensive but I understand you have to make a profit. I'd be willing to buy direct at that price to support independent businesses but don't think I'd pay that in the shop.

Intrepid

[/QU
Can I thank you all for your feedback.
This is massively helpful. I'll be looking to make some progress with our club asap.
I will keep you all updated with developments.

It's obvious there are mixed opinions on the clocks. TBH they were made just prior to the memorabilia day at the Louden. Please feedback any ideas you have for alternative designs. I personally think the Stevie G clock is great. I think I've developed manlove.

TQ3

You are correct there will be an element of evaporation (The Angel's share). The work in exactly the same way as normal barrels.
Having worked in a cooperage many years ago, for one of the biggest bluenoses ever, in wee Tam Guthrie, firstly I reckon Tam would have loved them, they look superb.
As for the lining of a whisky barrel, or any other barrel, we used Sherry, then spun the barrel. The Sherry swells the wood to seal the barrel and coats it at the same time, but doesn’t taint the flavour of the content.

Intrepid

Not being an expert on whisky etc i assume you can pour a bottle into the cask And it won’t go off

my old man likes a whisky now and again
Hi mate,
It most certainly will not go off. The cask will further mature any spirit added to the cask. The longer you leave it the better it gets. It's a test of your patience. Because the ratio of oak to spirit is much smaller than a full size barrel it will mature any spirit you put in the cask about 3 to 4 times faster than a full size barrel. The downside to this is the rate of evaporation will increase in proportion. It you intend to leave the whisky in the cask for a considerable period of time you really need to store the cask in a shed or a garage to keep it in a cooler environment. I would consider more than 6 months as a good time of thumb.
In the attached photo the bottle on the left is the retained sample of what I put in the cask. The bottle on the right is what came out the cask after 5 months. The cask was seasoned with Buckfast. The change in character of the whisky surprised even me. Deelish.

theryesider

Pedantic time mate, the logo at the bottom which I take is your company's, looks helluva like the Partick Thistle badge?,would that be engraved on the finished product?
Best of luck they look excellent bar the Thistle badge :D

They look good got one sent over from Switzerland for the dogs neck night to get in to the country though

Kentbear

Hi mate,
It most certainly will not go off. The cask will further mature any spirit added to the cask. The longer you leave it the better it gets. It's a test of your patience. Because the ratio of oak to spirit is much smaller than a full size barrel it will mature any spirit you put in the cask about 3 to 4 times faster than a full size barrel. The downside to this is the rate of evaporation will increase in proportion. It you intend to leave the whisky in the cask for a considerable period of time you really need to store the cask in a shed or a garage to keep it in a cooler environment. I would consider more than 6 months as a good time of thumb.
In the attached photo the bottle on the left is the retained sample of what I put in the cask. The bottle on the right is what came out the cask after 5 months. The cask was seasoned with Buckfast. The change in character of the whisky surprised even me. Deelish.
The Angels share is what they call that according to the film of the same name.

These are brilliant. Good luck on getting the go ahead from the club. Will be keeping an eye out for those becoming available, that's a definite birthday present for my old man

Intrepid

These are brilliant. Good luck on getting the go ahead from the club. Will be keeping an eye out for those becoming available, that's a definite birthday present for my old man
I e-mailed Rangers again on Tuesday armed with the positive response from the Bears. I'm awaiting a response. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Lawsome

Fantastic, not at all expensive for the quality of the product. Would add a fantastic touch to any room, from a traditional old boys dining room to a modern Blue Room.

Well done, OP.

arnietac1

Official Ticketer
My brother used to be a cooper. Hated Fridays when he arrived home after "steaming" the barrel and bringing home 2 bottles. (one was already consumed-drunken pain in the arse lol)
I have a few (89) bottles and would love one of these. Bit pricey so the missus would take a bit of persuading but could get one for birthday/Xmas combined.
Clocks not for me but folk would still buy.
Best of luck.