Rangers Biographies/Autobiographies

Jaws2

With Xmas coming up, I thought it'd be worth starting a thread on recommended biographies/autobiographies on ex Rangers players.

What do people recommend that's out there at the moment and are there any players you wish had done a book but haven't yet ?

I’ve read a lot of them, Sam English’ book is very good and particularly interesting reading about the junior game back then etc.

I wish Ferguson done an updated book, his last one was before Le Guen and Manchester etc.

If you can find it Ian Redfords autobiography 'Raindrops keep falling on my head' it is worth reading and unlike other footballers story's he did actually write it himself.

Ians son described it as the longest suicide note in history so needless to say its not all glamour, birds and boozy nights.

A good player for us who is often forgotten.

If you can find it Ian Redfords autobiography 'Raindrops keep falling on my head' it is worth reading and unlike other footballers story's he did actually write it himself.

Ians son described it as the longest suicide note in history so needless to say its not all glamour, birds and boozy nights.

I’ve been meaning to but this.

He seemed ahead of his time as a player.

I’ve been meaning to but this.

He seemed ahead of his time as a player.

It’s on Amazon at £225.00 !!!! The Kindle version is more reasonably priced at £2.37.

Never read it, given what happened to him it sounds like a tough read now we know his ending.

To be honest, I never rated him at Rangers, he arrived for big money and a lot of expectation and never really looked like he could handle the pressures of being a Rangers player. Occasional flashes and a few important goals, without doubt, but he didn't impose himself in big games near often enough. No doubt a talented player, his time at Dundee United proved that, but I always felt a club not expected to win every week suited him more.

Hope that's not disrespectful given the circumstances.

I wish Ally McCoist would do another book I have one of his from the early 90s possibly but there would be so much for him to put in a new book

Harold Davis is a good read.
Sam English is outstanding.
Davie Wilson's I really enjoyed.
Bob McPhails is superb.
The Gallant Pioneers is in a class of its own.

I have most and as previously said some are not the best.
I like the older ones better. Bob McPhail, Sam English, Tiger Shaw, George Young etc.
I'm hoping Jimmy Bell might write his life story.

I suspect both are out of print but I loved Cooper’s True Blue and Graham Souness’s pre-Rangers No Half Measures. Probably my two favourite football autobiographies (and in my top 5 Rangers men as well)

Back