Rangers Books

Sam English

317bpeq.jpg

This book (edited by Ken Gallagher) was published in 1964 and was the prelude to a series of nineteen books which were released annually. The books are mostly player's giving their accounts of various games over the past season and of their football careers.

The chapter's in this, the very first 'Playing For Rangers', are as follows -

Challenge In Europe - Ralph Brand
You're The Fastest - I was Told - Eric Caldow
Fighting Back From The Reserves - George McLean
Keeping Match Fit - Ian McMillan
It's That Jinx Again ! - Jimmy Millar
Mr. Scot Symon - The Editor
Baptism In Moscow - John Greig
Breaking The Record For Goals - Jim Forrest
Rangers Lost - And A Happy Day For Me ! - Davie Wilson
Sudden Success - Davie Provan
My Big Ambition - Willie Henderson
That Nightmare Game - Ronnie McKinnon
A Boyhood Dream Comes True - Bobby Shearer
A Record I'm Proud Of - Jim Baxter
Facing The World's Greatest Forwards - Billy Ritchie
The Young Ones
Backroom Boy - Davie Kinnear

For me, this one is probably the best of all the PFR books

I'll be adding more books in the days ahead

I love that change strip we wore in the 1964 SCF.

Does any older bear know if that was the only time we wore that combination (i.e. white shorts and red socks)?

Good thread Sam - I think that first PFR also came out in ‘from memory’ the Sportsman’s version with a white dustcover - got both versions up in the attic

Good thread Sam - I think that first PFR also came out in ‘from memory’ the Sportsman’s version with a white dustcover - got both versions up in the attic
That's correct.
I was given a copy of the Sportsman's edition a few years ago

I've got playing for Rangers 5 lying about the house somewhere.

I remember a sequence of photos showing big Tam Forsyth's cup final goal against the mutants.

It was the equivalent of a slow motion replay back in the day.

Fucking hell, I'm getting old.

I've got playing for Rangers 5 lying about the house somewhere.

I remember a sequence of photos showing big Tam Forsyth's cup final goal against the mutants.

It was the equivalent of a slow motion replay back in the day.

Fucking hell, I'm getting old.
I’ve got Number 5 as well. One thing that stands out for me is the photograph sequence showing Rangers fans in the schoolboy enclosure celebrating the goal. This being the Celtic end of the enclosure.

Also got Growing With Glory the centenary book from the same time.

Guy near me had a copy of the 1st PFR fully autographed & offered me it for £20 as he was selling all his Rangers stuff. Told him it was worth a load more than that & if he was going to keep one souvenir that should be it.

I’ve got Number 5 as well. One thing that stands out for me is the photograph sequence showing Rangers fans in the schoolboy enclosure celebrating the goal. This being the Celtic end of the enclosure.

I had Growing with glory too, but the in-laws' dog chewed it to bits many years ago.

I think it had John Greig on the cover kneeling with a trophy in front of him. Would that be correct?

Also if memory serves it was a 1973 book, incorrectly marking the centenary.

317bpeq.jpg

This book (edited by Ken Gallagher) was published in 1964 and was the prelude to a series of nineteen books which were released annually. The books are mostly player's giving their accounts of various games over the past season and of their football careers.

The Young Ones

got that book plus all of the playing for Rangers books plus John Grieg's a captains part

I used to be a big collector of Rangers books and programmes. Got the full collection of PFR as well as a lot of Player autobiographies........personal favourites are We Will Follow Rangers by Hugh Taylor and this one by John Fairgrieve.

vh5o4p.jpg
lucky you never seen that one before

My older brother hadthat particular 'Playing for Rangers' when we were youngsters but I don't know what became of it. I've got quite a few books on the club but the one that I think is the best and most useful is "The Complete History".

I used to be a big collector of Rangers books and programmes. Got the full collection of PFR as well as a lot of Player autobiographies........personal favourites are We Will Follow Rangers by Hugh Taylor and this one by John Fairgrieve.

vh5o4p.jpg
Farley - re the Hugh Taylor book. I seem to remember a story in it that the plane that took us to our first away tie in European football (OGC Nice) was the same plane that was involved in Man Utd’s Munich plane crash in 1958 (an Elizabethan?). Can you recall that?

There’s also a book called the Rangers Players’ Story which was edited by Willie Allison, but it was a similar idea to Playing For Rangers which came later.

I've got that book published in '62, and, on the first page it says, ''To Ian from Harry Davis, Rangers FC, with best wishes''.
A treasure !

Farley - re the Hugh Taylor book. I seem to remember a story in it that the plane that took us to our first away tie in European football (OGC Nice) was the same plane that was involved in Man Utd’s Munich plane crash in 1958 (an Elizabethan?). Can you recall that?

You're right mate - the very same plane which the Busby Babes died in!

The book is a very good read particularly that chapter on the first European game vs Nice. The return leg in Nice was rained off as Nice didn't have drainage on their pitch as they rarely saw rain. Rangers travelled out again and still it was raining but the game went ahead. Willie Logie and Nice player Bravo got ordered off. Whilst Logie went to the dressing room, the Nice striker played to the crowd on the running track and his coach Carniglia came up to him and put a raincoat on him and lit a cigarette for him to puff as the media snapped their hard done by star. :)
The game ended 3-3 on aggregate so a play off match was ordered, in un-neutral Paris which Rangers lost 1-3.

2a42ew.jpg

Loved the playing for Rangers books when I was a kid.
First one I got had DJ scoring as a 16 year old in the league cup final. Also had a story about Tommy McLean signing and a Rangers Social Club feature.
Think I still have them somewhere.

vh5o4p.jpg
....and him a Jambo too.

Can you imagine that happening today,

Ian Peebles wrote Growing with Glory I'm sure.

There’s also a book called the Rangers Players’ Story which was edited by Willie Allison, but it was a similar idea to Playing For Rangers which came later.
If you can guide me through how to post photos. I’ll upload pod of all the
Books

28hmyau.jpg

This is a re-print of the book that was supposed to be published in 1922 by John Allan, hence with book being a year late, they changed the year we were founded.

Good work mate. As a collector of Rangers books, I will follow this thread with interest

I'm not a collector but I have a few Rangers books, THE RANGERS PLAYERS' STORY being the oldest and RANGERS-THE NEW ERA from about 1966 the next oldest. There used to be THE RANGERS ANNUAL each season but that was more of a large booklet than a book as such. I have a couple of them from 1963/64:)

W.A.T.P.

New Era with all results, and stories behind the early years upto the sixties, basically a mini encyclopaedia.
I have that book,borrowed it from a pal of mines Da about 40 years ago..he never did ask for it back :rolleyes::D Cracking book. Also got about 8-9 of the PFR books in a case,have to dig them out. Love threads like this.

317bpeq.jpg

The Young Ones

Saw some brilliant black and white photos of the players celebrating like the one om the book cover many moons ago but can't remember where. They were class

Rangers News Annual

This book is a couple of decades later.1983
Was the 1st book of 5
(I stand to be corrected)

More aimed at the younger generation, this copy was read a thousand times consequently the colour pictures in the middle have started to come away.

29j9hRl1_ce5ZIDmtBkMwSTp17FU-MyywfpczS5iKs33wCxJ4mKltUe0mePZXDhibDnIDIs5BOSTQtswHfRlXYViguqAqgCxZPk9A1oJGa_GrS67xblh4uPAKi6uhrzdwHu-kkH-xts

oOvBO29j0BTU6p-oYPsdrP8KQTPXqdPAj-dFesWpWXyuYmoMzP9UgW_J_PkffFowjj6UACCPH4O0xlQQs_qYTvGIRc24ol9GXfoVQ2Dv45QAVAiNPpAq3cPaeoynoEWW_a7OohXIDvU

2lwawj7.jpg

Published in 1961 and written by Hugh Taylor.
THE CONTENTS ARE...

1. Meet The People
2. The Pioneers
3. End of a Hoodoo
4. Date With the Dynamo
5. The Riviera Blues
6, Fire, Fury - and Rain
7. So Near....
8. The Rangers Secret
9. The Giants
10. Modern Miracle
11. The Future
12. The End of the Bginning

2lwawj7.jpg

Published in 1961 and written by Hugh Taylor.
THE CONTENTS ARE...

1. Meet The People
2. The Pioneers
3. End of a Hoodoo
4. Date With the Dynamo
5. The Riviera Blues
6, Fire, Fury - and Rain
7. So Near....
8. The Rangers Secret
9. The Giants
10. Modern Miracle
11. The Future
12. The End of the Bginning

First chapter is brilliant. :)

I have that book,borrowed it from a pal of mines Da about 40 years ago..he never did ask for it back :rolleyes::D Cracking book. Also got about 8-9 of the PFR books in a case,have to dig them out. Love threads like this.
The New Era for my money is the best Rangers book ever. Has all the history up to 1966, all the stats and the pictures of the insides of Ibrox depict the pomp and sheer majesty of the Stadium

All 3 John Allan books currently on Fleabay , selling as one for £450....not mine, I'd love to own them

The Story of the Rangers – Fifty Years’ Football 1873-1923

Eleven Great Years – The rangers 1923 to 1934

Rangers’ Eventful Years 1934-1951
I bought two from e-bay, but at very good prices. The 'Story of The Rangers' was a re-print and cost £16

Back