Rangers Books

zy9f1g.jpg

This book was the third written by John Allan

I have this book and also The New Era.

Bit of a story about this book. My dear mother bought me this for my Christmas back in 1964 but after I left home I lost it in the process of moving around.

About 5 years ago I was browsing through books in a charity shop when I came across what I believed to be a similar book as the one I had lost.

When I got home I opened the book and the dust page fell open to reveal my mother's message she had written on the book to me back on that Christmas day of 1964.

I was so overcome with emotion and even now I can scarcely believe how that book found its way back to me after half a century.

oh4ub8.jpg

Bit of a story about this book. My dear mother bought me this for my Christmas back in 1964 but after I left home I lost it in the process of moving around.

About 5 years ago I was browsing through books in a charity shop when I came across what I believed to be a similar book as the one I had lost.

When I got home I opened the book and the dust page fell open to reveal my mother's message she had written on the book to me back on that Christmas day of 1964.

I was so overcome with emotion and even now I can scarcely believe how that book found its way back to me after half a century.

oh4ub8.jpg
Fantastic story mate.
Must have been emotional for you.

You're right mate - the very same plane which the Busby Babes died in!

The book is a very good read particularly that chapter on the first European game vs Nice. The return leg in Nice was rained off as Nice didn't have drainage on their pitch as they rarely saw rain. Rangers travelled out again and still it was raining but the game went ahead. Willie Logie and Nice player Bravo got ordered off. Whilst Logie went to the dressing room, the Nice striker played to the crowd on the running track and his coach Carniglia came up to him and put a raincoat on him and lit a cigarette for him to puff as the media snapped their hard done by star. :)
The game ended 3-3 on aggregate so a play off match was ordered, in un-neutral Paris which Rangers lost 1-3.

2a42ew.jpg
As the years went on, I thought I had imagined that story. Macabre piece of trivia.

All 3 John Allan books currently on Fleabay , selling as one for £450....not mine, I'd love to own them

The Story of the Rangers – Fifty Years’ Football 1873-1923

Eleven Great Years – The rangers 1923 to 1934

Rangers’ Eventful Years 1934-1951

I was lucky enough to buy the three of them for £50 at an auction house about 10 years ago. Would never part with them now. The style of writing is incredibly different to now.

The New Era for my money is the best Rangers book ever. Has all the history up to 1966, all the stats and the pictures of the insides of Ibrox depict the pomp and sheer majesty of the Stadium
Absolutely, just a brilliant book the work that was put into it, read it many times and never gets boring.

Good work mate. As a collector of Rangers books, I will follow this thread with interest

Any idea of a rangers book which would give me fixture dates and results of all rangers games covering the 80s and 90s? Collect Rangers ticket stubs and a lot of the online results databases miss the odd fixture here and there and I would like to make sure there's no gaps in my collection.

oh4ub8.jpg
The work of higher powers...

Any idea of a rangers book which would give me fixture dates and results of all rangers games covering the 80s and 90s? Collect Rangers ticket stubs and a lot of the online results databases miss the odd fixture here and there and I would like to make sure there's no gaps in my collection.
'Rangers the Complete Record' is the book you want.

2cnyqkl.jpg

Rangers - The New Era. by William Allison and published in 1966
Covers the period from 1951-1966 and has some fantastic pictures of inside the stadium, as it was in 60's

Probably one of my favourite Rangers books

m9u4w9.jpg

I'm not a collector of books,I collect programmes but I have picked a few up over the years. I thought I had more of the Playing For Rangers and I may have some elsewhere but here's some of them below along with the other books I have including the jewel in the crown, Eleven Great Years with an inscription and signature from the great man himself.
12131c6.jpg

oixdmg.jpg

2nhkup2.jpg

2m51ppl.jpg

2rqp0k5.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a collector of books,I collect programmes but I have picked a few up over the years. I thought I had more of the Playing For Rangers and I may have some elsewhere but here's some of them below along with the other books I have including the jewel in the crown, Eleven Great Years with an inscription from the great man himself.
12131c6.jpg

oixdmg.jpg

2nhkup2.jpg

2m51ppl.jpg

2rqp0k5.jpg
Great collection

Great call, Sam. The first book you show - playing for Rangers - is my favourite Gers book. I received the original as a Xmas present back in the early 60's and been lucky enough to have kept it all these years and still with the dust cover on it. As regards John Allan's trilogy, I have the first two books, but will need to check whether they were re-prints or originals, both picked up from the Barras many many moons ago.

The Waddell Years' 1938-1984. By Stephen Halliday, Published in 1999

As the title suggests, this book covers his time a Ibrox as both a player and manager.
Comes with a load of replica stuff in a pouch inside the book.
A copy of the wee blue book, a copy of the moscow Dynamo programme from 1945 and other bits and pieces.

2mg0bxx.jpg

There are some excellent photos in the book and great detail....but some glaring mistakes too. This first photo below is dated 1976.......roofs on both ends of the park and floodlights on pylons!! It's obviously a photo which has been doctored ....perhaps it's something they had planned at some point?
The second photo is dated as 4 years earlier, so 1972, but the roof went on the Rangers End in '66 so it's at least before that. Without wanting to be critical the club should have got these details right in a book like this, which was rather expensive.
There is great detail shown to the 1971 Disaster quite rightly.

353dy5x.jpg

2rgl7xk.jpg

There are some excellent photos in the book and great detail....but some glaring mistakes too. This first photo below is dated 1976.......roofs on both ends of the park and floodlights on pylons!! It's obviously a photo which has been doctored ....perhaps it's something they had planned at some point?
The second photo is dated as 4 years earlier, so 1972, but the roof went on the Rangers End in '66 so it's at least before that. Without wanting to be critical the club should have got these details right in a book like this, which was rather expensive.

353dy5x.jpg

2rgl7xk.jpg
Amazing how they managed to get that photograph so wrong.

oh4ub8.jpg

That's absolutely incredible. Brilliant story

Aye Ready -Rangers War Hero's - By Paul Smith. Published 2011

Hero. A word used and abused in football, but for those who fought for their country in Britain's armed forces during the brutal conflicts of the twentieth century, there can be no better description. And over the years, Rangers Football Club has produced its share of true heroes. The club's traditional motto, 'Aye Ready', has applied on the pitch for well over a century, but for a generation of Ibrox stars, those words were carried onto the battlefields on foreign shores as they fought for their country. Some emerged to once again to pull on their football boots, others were less fortunate and paid the ultimate price for their loyalty to the cause. All will forever be remembered as Rangers heroes. Aye Ready profiles the stories of a selection of the club's war veterans - their life and times in football, along with the battles they fought, in a lasting tribute to a band of men who represented Rangers with distinction.

2u6d211.jpg

353dy5x.jpg

2rgl7xk.jpg
Personally I think the Spirit of Ibrox book is overrated. McElroy isn't the best of writers

If you've got Flickr there's a guy called Willie Gers who's site is the absolute nuts for all Rangers memorabilia. I'd trust him for dates and scores together with records of friendlies and testimonials way over any ref book

oh4ub8.jpg
Outstanding!

Thanks I’m clueless with this ,I can’t see tiny pic as app ?
Remember to select the Size for Messageboard and sometimes when u press upload then you have to wait and put the passcode in that it gives you - after that just copy the link it gives you and paste it onto the FF thread

Back