Rangers boss Gerrard can make Hagi one of world’s best players, says Gheorghe

BlueMeanie

GHEORGHE HAGI has revealed he believes son Ianis will eventually become one of the best players in the world because of 'extraordinary' Rangers manager Steven Gerrard.
The Romanian talent signed a permanent £3million deal with the Ibrox club last week after a successful spell on loan earlier this season.

And former Real Madrid and Barcelona superstar Hagi believes his son will eventually even surpass the heights he reached in the game - if he listens to Gerrard.
Hagi senior said: "I'm confident Ianis will be a better player than I was.
"I trust Ianis. I am convinced he is part of a generation of young Romanian players who will make the national team great again.
"He has progressed, gained experience, he's become more mature and he's worked hard to get this transfer. He's had to suffer a lot and he's learned a lot.

"Ianis has signed for the ideal club for him because he is working with an extraordinary manager who appreciates him very much and he's playing for a great side.
"Rangers are perfect for him because they have the best mentality I have ever seen at a club - they are a big club who have to win.
"He is working with a great manager in a perfect environment for him because the mindset of Rangers is only to win.
"His manager believes in him and thinks he can make him one of the best players in the world.

"Steven Gerrard has lived through this before. He knows what to do with Ianis and I know he will make him a better player.
"He's with the right club and I know he will get better every day.
"He will be a bigger player than me if he keeps working hard and learning."

If he becomes half as good as his Dad then he will still be the best player in Scotland by a country mile.

Signings on the level and also potential of Hagi is a sure sign we are on the correct path.

I can't wait until we have squad players at the level of say a Jack as opposed to a Barker.

In no way a dig at Jack just a point about our squad being of one level rather than the current.

I saw him play for Romania U21s in the Euro Championships they had in Italy last summer and he was brilliant, especially in the game V England

he was playing players such as Tomori, Maddison, Abraham, Foden, Mount - guys you see regularly in the Premier League for their clubs and he was the best player on the park. He's got the potential to be a superstar in another league down the line and hopefully he can help us to success before that happens

His dad was one of the best in the world in his day, if Ianis gets close to being as good we have one hell of a player

I saw him play for Romania U21s in the Euro Championships they had in Italy last summer and he was brilliant, especially in the game V England

he was playing players such as Tomori, Maddison, Abraham, Foden, Mount - guys you see regularly in the Premier League for their clubs and he was the best player on the park. He's got the potential to be a superstar in another league down the line and hopefully he can help us to success before that happens
I have several mates who can’t believe we got him. He was the best player in that tournament, even my pal in Cuba said “that boy is going to be a star.” during that U21s.

Great to read that Hagi senior has such confidence in our club and manager as well as his boy. This is all positive for Rangers and I, for one, think Hagi junior absolutely has that potential if given the correct guidance and environment. If he's with us for the next 2-3 years and develops in this way, brilliant.

Reactions: TQ3
Totally agreed with Gazza on this one. The sky is the limit.

As for calls to play him through the middle, I don't get it. His best performances for us were playing off the right in one of our number 10 roles.

We don't play a number 10 in midfield nor should we. The balance of our midfield is one of our strong points. Hagi can flourish in the free role he was given last season.

If he’s half as good as his dad was then we’re onto a winner.
some good words though from a footballing legend!

I personally think he will be kick up and down the park by the usual hammer throwers with little or no protection, good luck to the lad I think he’ll need it.

I quite agree. We're going to have to provide a "minder" for him or he won't last the season.

Imagine getting a player BETTER than Gheorghe Hagi for £3m. Jesus.

A ridiculously talented player. Let's hope his boy lives up to his potential.

He is a superstar. We just need to make sure we use him right, and the other players on the pitch are in his wave length.
At times last season he got so frustrated that the ball wasn’t played to him quickly enough.
I think it’s football Stewart on twitter who put the clips of it together.

I have mentioned in other threads that we have the potential to haveone hell of an attacking threat if we can figure out how to use the players.

Morelos
Kent
Hagi
Aribo

not mentioning any new right winger and tav and Borna.

He is a superstar. We just need to make sure we use him right, and the other players on the pitch are in his wave length.
At times last season he got so frustrated that the ball wasn’t played to him quickly enough.
I think it’s football Stewart on twitter who put the clips of it together.

I have mentioned in other threads that we have the potential to haveone hell of an attacking threat if we can figure out how to use the players.

Morelos
Kent
Hagi
Aribo

not mentioning any new right winger and tav and Borna.

We have some serious talent in the team now, all we really need is 2 or 3 good quality experienced players that have the mentality to drive the team on when it is most needed.

Totally agreed with Gazza on this one. The sky is the limit.

As for calls to play him through the middle, I don't get it. His best performances for us were playing off the right in one of our number 10 roles.

We don't play a number 10 in midfield nor should we. The balance of our midfield is one of our strong points. Hagi can flourish in the free role he was given last season.

Exactly agree. As we did with Laudrup, just tell him to go & find space. And then use it
to hurt the opposition.

Win the league this season make our long awaited CL return and hagi has a storming group...lots of ifs but if happens it's name your price sort of money from a big hitter.

If I was castore get a shop open in Romanian capital and hagi face all over it make what we spent signing him.

Quite an endorsement of the Club by Hagi sr considering the clubs he played for. If his lad "is part of a generation of young Romanian players who will make the national team great again" get our scouting team over there before the young guys play well in a tournament or in Europe & are snapped up by some of the clubs that just hoover up and waste young talent.

I think Hagi is the type of player Gerrard will thrive with.

I remember when it seemed Gerrard was frustrated with our players, and many of us fans thought / guessed it was because Gerrard had the mentality of "when I was a 25 year old footballer I could do x, y and z... why are these guys struggling with x?"

I think Hagi is the type of player that will do x, y and z for Gerrard.

If his dad is right and Ianis puts the work in and becomes a better player than Gheorghe, then I am very much looking forward to seeing that!

Seriously though, he is a player with the potential to be top class, and even if he doesnt reach his dads level, if he gets anywhere close with us then we have got ourselves a great deal

One thing Gheorghe Hagi is good at himself is spotting talent and developing it. We could do well by looking at some of the talent he has developed at FC Viitorul Costanta. I was watching some of their stuff on youtube from the time when Ianis Hagi was there in his second spell and also more recently after he left. Some really decent footballers in their squad.

Back