Rangers boss Gerrard tips Wright to muscle way into team – after bulking up by four kilos

BlueMeanie

STEVEN GERRARD has tipped Scott Wright to muscle his way into the Rangers team.
The 23-year-old has bulked up by FOUR KILOS since signing from Aberdeen in January.
Rangers new boy Scott Wright has been working hard to bulk up

The attacker has been hitting the gym and been given a strict diet and nutrition plan.
Ibrox boss Gerrard said: “We can’t take all the credit for Scott Wright and the impact he’s had in the short space of time. We knew we’d got a good player from Aberdeen and his previous coaches and club have done a fantastic job.
“We have done everything we can to make him settle.
“There’s a lot of things we have put to him in terms of information from a tactical point of view, to try and get him up to speed in terms of how we play and what we expect.

“We have also hit him really hard from a physical point of view in terms of fitness, body weight, diet and nutrition.
“He’s put four kilos on in a month while at the same time his body fat hasn’t moved.
“He’s a project, Scott, and he’s one we’re getting ready for next season.

“But having said that we can still see his talent and we’re getting a contribution from him.
“We’ve had some injuries at the top end of the pitch and a few people have gone out on loan to get games.
“So he’s contributing really well at the moment and he’s on the verge of getting starts, for sure. I think that he has earned that.”
Wright didn’t play against Livingston on Wednesday night but could feature against St Mirren on Saturday.

Gerrard added: “He’s been a breath of fresh air. He’s a great kid and he wants to learn, improve and grow. He’s been an absolute dream.
“We’ll only bring people in here who we feel can contribute and add to what we have already got. But they have to be able to play our way with our philosophy.

“There are still areas where we feel he can grow and evolve and get better and that’s what we are trying to do with him.”
Gerrard is within touching distance of winning the title and he can’t wait to be the first Rangers boss to win the league since Walter Smith in 2011.

Smith has been Gerrard’s ‘unofficial’ mentor and the Gers gaffer said: “Walter is someone I have the utmost respect for. He is an iconic figure
“It is an unofficial mentorship — I don’t even think Walter knows he is doing it!
“I bounce a lot of stuff off him and he always has plenty of time for me.
“So I don’t even think he knows he is being a mentor, but he has been fantastic.”

Think a big question mark before he signed was his physical durability as he has spent a considerable time out in past seasons.

It's good to know that the club have targeted that with fitness, body weight, diet and nutrition. Attention to detail off the pitch is top level.

Players get better here. That's the biggest praise I can give Gerrard and the coaching staff. They identify a need, support the player, and build them up.

There are players in this team I don't think would be anywhere near as rounded under different coaches. It must be such a draw for potential signings as well.

Very encouraging reading that. Scott Wright has looked promising in every appearance he has made so far, hopefully he will get plenty of minutes once the title is secured.

Another lad who is willing to put the work in. He has looked decent in the glimpses we have had, especially getting that penalty in a Europa game. That took the tie away from any hope they had, but also technically, great skill cutting inside the box so sharply.
I agree with above he looks like a great addition, and an improvement on Barker and Jones.

Players get better here. That's the biggest praise I can give Gerrard and the coaching staff. They identify a need, support the player, and build them up.

There are players in this team I don't think would be anywhere near as rounded under different coaches. It must be such a draw for potential signings as well.

That's been the biggest change since he arrived. Before Gerrard when players came here they regressed.

Back