Rangers boss Michael Beale hints Allan McGregor ‘not finished yet’ as he lifts lid on what makes veteran livid

Actually it hasn't.

He's brought in two midfielders.

We need a full defence and a couple of strikers.

If you think I have to put up with this garbage because you don't want to criticise the club you and me will never see eye to eye.
That will never bother me. As for the other parts of this post, those two midfielders have impacted this squad, greatly, and this will never have been achievable in one winter window; if you say the opposite that is for you, but Beale appears know what he is doing. I'm with Beale if that is the choice.

No, no and no again, mistakes crept in 3 years ago, it is the norm for a mistake whether it is handling, positioning, distribution or even a combo of them every game now, he was a top class keeper but is too error prone now, if he is staying on it has to be in a coaching capacity which I am all for.

Embarrassing how many people take a sensationalist headline as gospel without any context.

I watched this interview earlier and all he says is that it’ll be 500 at the weekend and it’ll be higher than that by the end of the season.

Makes zero mention or suggestion of a new deal.

Calm the %^*& down.

Embarrassing how many people take a sensationalist headline as gospel without any context.

I watched this interview earlier and all he says is that it’ll be 500 at the weekend and it’ll be higher than that by the end of the season.

Calm the %^*& down.
He pays tribute to McGregor, and why not?

Beale needs to be ruthless and move on the old guard. No number 2/3 or coaching role. It needs a total clean slate and opportunities given to younger players to make a claim. It's time to move on. We seem to have had this loyalty to players like no other club.

That will never bother me. As for the other parts of this post, those two midfielders have impacted this squad, greatly, and this will never have been achievable in one winter window; if you say the opposite that is for you, but Beale appears know what he is doing. I'm with Beale if that is the choice.
How has the team been improved?

It's the same points defecit but we are loosing goals week on week.

The defence will lose him his job.

If you don't recognise it, it's blind faith.

17 wins out of 19, and 1 defeat- a big defeat, but that win, draw, loss record speaks for itself. Discounting the first few games under Beale, where we didn't really have a settled defence, 8 of those games have been clean sheets. You're right though, the defence can do better, but the attack isn't letting us down; with 14 goals in the last four games it's not. It is clear from the interview that we will sign new players, that seems to be something you don't think will happen?

Last edited:

Calm the %^*& down.
This.

We will be signing a new number 1 in the summer, Mcgregor has done his duty and then some, he will be huge gloves to fill.

Allan McGregor is a rangers legend no doubt about it but it will be an absolute disaster if he is even second choice next year. Maybe a coaching role combined with third choice but even that could be wasted wages.

17 wins out of 19 from a team dying on its arse and you dont think the team has been improved?

Deary me.

Nobody is saying we are the finished article, not even close, there will be significant turnaround in the summer, but you genuinely have to be a bit mental not to see we haven’t improved significantly in recent months.

It’s unfortunate that the beggars just aren’t dropping points, hence the 9 point gap still being the same , but that doesn’t mean we aren’t getting better because we quite clearly are.

He hasn’t said anything about him getting a contract, even Beale knows he is finished as a no1.

He may well stay on in coaching or something like that but Mcgregor was done last season we all know that.
He has been good for us but time is up.

Given the number of positions we likely need to strengthen, this wouldn’t surprise me if he gets another year. I won’t be pleased if it comes to pass but I can understand if Beale has to prioritise spend on other positions.

Another sad indictment of Wilson not being fit for purpose the fact that this might be the right choice st this moment in time - an utter charlatan!

245bspjc

I’ll entertain McGregor as a GK coach who gets registered as a 3rd choice keeper for Europe to help the quota but that’s about it. If I see him as our 1st or 2nd choice keeper next season I might need to check into Carstiars

Manager keeping player motivated for the rest of the season.

Shagger will be done come the end of the season. Still better than Jon though.

*edit - he says nothing about a new deal so I’ll retract that B-D :shh:

He is finished at our level.
Hes finished as a no.1 and the honesty of it is we have no use for him as a backup as much as he has no use for being a backup.

Any call for him to remain at Rangers is madness and this season as much as last has taught if both parties got the retirement timing wrong.

McGregor is my fave Rangers Goalkeeper of all-time, he is a Legend, but the gravity of the rebuild around this entire group of players leaves no room for sentiment nor penny pinching. Which is what is driving comments like this from Beale, as it was when he spoke similarly about Davis, Arfield, Jack etc.

I do not doubt hes been told Rangers dont have the money to buy the number of players he would like but he is the Manager and he must use all his guile and smarts to use whats there and acquire what he can to make something very new.

Minus McGregor and the rest.

We went back to the well once too often already and its killed our season in the worst way.

All good things come to an end.

That end-point should’ve been last May.

2 x keepers out, 2 x keepers in this summer - let them battle it out for the gloves.

Love the amount of people absolutely raging about something that the manager hasn’t even said. Absolutely no chance McGregor is getting a new deal.

Reactions: TN8
McGregor will be the keeper to the end of the season. As he hits 500 appearances this weekend, naturally "it'll be 500 and something, it won't end at 500."

There's no chance we're going into next season with AM is number 1.
Don't spoil it for all the merchants of doom by talking sense.

Love the amount of people absolutely raging about something that the manager hasn’t even said. Absolutely no chance McGregor is getting a new deal.
Absolutely, headline writers dreams, you could set your watch by a few of the usual posters coming on to rage about absolutely nothing as well.

Reactions: TN8
Had a good season . Would be fine with an extension if balanced out over the three keepers then Allan meets many needs .
Nobody can actually believe this.

We won’t be going into next season with Allan McGregor as one of our three choices, absolutely no chance.

What Beale said about McGregor in that interview should, if anything, be appreciated; his comments being about one of the greats for Rangers over the years reaching a particularly impressive milestone. Personally, he's my favourite goalkeeper, no one plays 500 games for Rangers unless they have something special about them, and I will be extremely sad to see him go, but it is, in all probability, his last season here as the number 1, and Beale says nothing there to put that in doubt.

Last edited:
Rangers need to get serious about building up play, we now have a midfielder that can take the ball with his back to goal, turn and progress the play. We need a keeper that can get involved in passing moves, draw opponents press which gives us an extra man further up field.

McGregor has been an excellent servant to the Club, so good in fact that the game has moved on since he first started playing for us. Goalkeepers are now key to starting attacks and we need one who is comfortable playing passing triangles under pressure. And has better distribution

Back