Rangers boss Steven Gerrard happy to have striking selection dilemma over Alfredo Morelos and Jermain Defoe

BlueMeanie

STEVEN GERRARD reckons striker Alfredo Morelos is heading into a ‘huge’ season as he prepares for his third campaign at Rangers.

Morelos followed up his goal in the first leg win over St Joseph’s last week with a hat-trick in the return fixture at Ibrox on Thursday evening.

Gerrard then saw Jermain Defoe step off the bench and strike twice as Rangers clinched a 6-0 victory.
Both forwards are vying for one central starting spot going into the new Premiership campaign.
And Gerrard is pleased to have a very welcome selection headache to solve this term.
“We hope it’s a huge season ahead for him, from a personal point of view and for us,” Gerrard said of Morelos. “He is a top, top striker.
“He got a bit of a niggle in pre-season, which set him back a little bit, but he has been in full training for quite a while now and he is looking better each day.
“The hat-trick will do his confidence the world of good. It’s great to have two top 9s to pick from.

“They will both want to play every minute of every game, but I don’t think it’s realistic to ask a player to play Thursday-Sunday all the way to Christmas if we have a strong European run.
“I think both players are experienced and bright enough to realise that it’s about the squad and not about any one individual.
“Of course it will be a challenge for me every game, who to pick and when to pick them. One is young, 22, and one is 36, so they are at different ends of their career.
“But one thing’s for sure: they have both got an awful lot to offer this team and squad over the next 12 months and that’s the most important thing for me, that they both stay fit, healthy and available for selection.”

I think like last evening Alfredo will start and if we inflict damage on the other side then Jermain will take over, for the remainder of the game or maybe they will fight it out one game at a time?

I think like last evening Alfredo will start and if we inflict damage on the other side then Jermain will take over, for the remainder of the game or maybe they will fight it out one game at a time?

Either way it’s a great position to be in. Imagine being a defender against us: Morelos has battered you to bits for an hour but he’s finally going off. To be replaced by the EPL’s 5th best striker ever who is fresh and hungry.

Or Defoe has run you ragged all game, requiring constant concentration to watch his position and runs. Then, as your legs are feeling heavy, the league’s top scorer comes on with a grin ready to run straight through you....

Would love to find a way to play both.
Playing both defeats the whole point of having 2 top class strikers. Gerrards correct in what he says, we realistically must be challenging for 3 domestic trophies plus performing in Europe. That’s easy 50-60 games. We need to rotate and keep both fresh and hungry

Europa League Semi finalists just sold Haller and Jovic two strikers for £100 million so they should have plenty to spend

I think Morelos is very similar to Jovic in style, small but very strong and a total nuisance to defenders. There were times I watched Jovic last season and thought Morelos was just as good as him, although its obviously hard to judge given the level Jovic was playing at in the Bundesliga.

I'm not surprised if they're interested in him.

I think Morelos is very similar to Jovic in style, small but very strong and a total nuisance to defenders. There were times I watched Jovic last season and thought Morelos was just as good as him, although its obviously hard to judge given the level Jovic was playing at in the Bundesliga.

I'm not surprised if they're interested in him.
Given the money they have to spend it has to be over £20 Million + a sell on I reckon Alfie would suit the Bundesliga very physical league

What a strange thing to say.

Paraphrasing...

EcXLnQf.png

It may have been because the job was done but morelos looked happier on Thursday night. He was getting niggled and didn't react. Maybe should have had a penalty first half it wasn't given he got up and got on with it he didn't have a go at the ref. Maybe he has taken on board the advice

STEVEN GERRARD reckons striker Alfredo Morelos is heading into a ‘huge’ season as he prepares for his third campaign at Rangers.

Morelos followed up his goal in the first leg win over St Joseph’s last week with a hat-trick in the return fixture at Ibrox on Thursday evening.

Gerrard then saw Jermain Defoe step off the bench and strike twice as Rangers clinched a 6-0 victory.
Both forwards are vying for one central starting spot going into the new Premiership campaign.
And Gerrard is pleased to have a very welcome selection headache to solve this term.
“We hope it’s a huge season ahead for him, from a personal point of view and for us,” Gerrard said of Morelos. “He is a top, top striker.
“He got a bit of a niggle in pre-season, which set him back a little bit, but he has been in full training for quite a while now and he is looking better each day.
“The hat-trick will do his confidence the world of good. It’s great to have two top 9s to pick from.

“They will both want to play every minute of every game, but I don’t think it’s realistic to ask a player to play Thursday-Sunday all the way to Christmas if we have a strong European run.
“I think both players are experienced and bright enough to realise that it’s about the squad and not about any one individual.
“Of course it will be a challenge for me every game, who to pick and when to pick them. One is young, 22, and one is 36, so they are at different ends of their career.
“But one thing’s for sure: they have both got an awful lot to offer this team and squad over the next 12 months and that’s the most important thing for me, that they both stay fit, healthy and available for selection.”
But that doesn't fit many experts on FF view that he's off the second we get a £10m bid

Really hope alfie stays. He's a goal scoring machine and too many think that's an easy thing to replace.

Would also like to see another striker brought in as we're a suspension and/or injury away from a selection problem.

I love the idea (a la Thursday) of Alfie running teams ragged for 70 mins, then JD coming on to take advantage of the space. Also reduces the time refs have to book Morelos and keeps both players fresh. Win, win, win!

I don’t care about language barriers or any other excuses. The wee man HAS to know what he’s up against here by now and adapt his game to suit WITHOUT compromising his impact on the game.

That’s what the top players do and It’s the obvious next big step if he wants to develop into the player we all know he can be. Also wouldn’t hurt if the club publicly let our feelings be known on the disgraceful way he’s singled out by referees.

We get the best from this wee guy this season the title is coming home. It’s that simple.

Given the money they have to spend it has to be over £20 Million + a sell on I reckon Alfie would suit the Bundesliga very physical league

How much money do Frankfurt ordinarily pay for their players though?

They might have sold Haller and Jovic for big money, but do they ordinarily buy players for over £20m?

Alfie should be first choice but against that lot with his history Gerrard will have tough decision to make

Alfie was giving Bobby Madden all sorts in a friendly ffs so I’m not entirely convinced he could be trusted in that game

I'm relaxed with the Alfredo situation. If he stays great, we replace Lafferty with a young striker with potential (we will have potential targets I'm sure) and we have selection options depending on opposition. If Alfie goes for circa £20 million, I'm sure we are aware of replacements in the £5 million to £10 million range who can flourish in the SPL and still bring in the Lafferty replacement.
I think we are in a good place .

My preference remains Alfie stays and screws the nut. That’s definitely our best option.

I’d also be happy to see Defoe sub him out games quite regularly to mix it up or to rotate the two as necessary.

The only flaw with that thinking is whether or not Alfie has learned how to be much cuter and to keep the head when niggled. If he’s sorted that, he’ll be an absolute star.

Who the %^*& are Eintracht Frankfurt?

Who could ever forget, Eintracht Frankfurt are the club who played out arguably the best ever European Cup Final at Hamdump against Real Madrid ( 7 - 3 ) back in - let me think ? - mid sixties !

I'm relaxed with the Alfredo situation. If he stays great, we replace Lafferty with a young striker with potential (we will have potential targets I'm sure) and we have selection options depending on opposition. If Alfie goes for circa £20 million, I'm sure we are aware of replacements in the £5 million to £10 million range who can flourish in the SPL and still bring in the Lafferty replacement.
I think we are in a good place .
Assuming Lafferty gets another club.
I can see him sitting back taking the cash for a year.

I'm in awe watching Defoe with us, his movement and finishing is staggering. Alfredo must learn so much. Legend.

Back