Rangers boss Steven Gerrard wins legal battle against Lotto and Errea over SGG Apparel clothing line logo

BlueMeanie

RANGERS manager Steven Gerrard has won a legal battle with two sportswear firms who tried to block his clothing range.
The Ibrox boss launched his own collection of menswear in 2018 called SGG Apparel which features polo shirts, jackets and hooded tops.

Steven Gerrard has won a legal battle over the logo of his clothing line SGG
The clothing range is a partnership between Gerrard and former club Liverpool and he signed up for it while coaching there before his move to Glasgow.
However, the project hit a snag when the Merseyside club applied to register SGG Apparel as a trademark in the UK to protect the brand.
Lotto Sport and Errea Sport both objected to the move saying that the diamond logo used on the Gerrard outfits was too similar to their own.
Lawyers for the sports clothing firms, who are both based in Italy, claimed customers could confuse the products.

Following a two-year battle, the UK Intellectual Property Office (IPO), who rule on trademark disputes, said SGG Apparel should be allowed the trademark after ruling their logo, which features two overlapping diamonds, was distinctly different from those of the rival firms.
Lotto Sport, who supplied Kilmarnock's kits for the 2007-08 season, appealed the decision but that has now been rejected by the IPO.
In his decision rejecting Lotto Sport's objection, trademark hearing officer George Salthouse said: "To my mind, the average consumer will view the opponent’s mark as comprising of two interlocking/overlapping rectangles with a rectangular hole in the middle.

SGG Apparel's logo spells out the Rangers boss' initials

The SGG emblem was ruled to be distinctly different from Lotto's 'interlocking rectangles'

Errea's badge was also seen as significantly different
"In contrast the applicant’s mark would be seen as two overlapping/interlocking diamonds.
"Both are relatively simple devices and both are distinctly different. The contention that both would be seen as a figure '8' is I believe somewhat far-fetched."
Mr Salthouse also ruled the diamond logo of Errea Sport, who are kit suppliers for Championship club Inverness Caledonian Thistle, was "significantly different" from the one used by SGG Apparel.
He added: "The opponent’s marks are not similar. To my mind, despite the fact that the users and some of the goods and services are identical, if a member of the public saw the applicant’s mark they would not immediately make the link to the opponent."

Errea Sport were ordered to pay £1,800 towards Liverpool's costs in the case while Lotto Sport were told to pay £3,200.
Gerrard has modelled the clothing range, which is managed by Liverpool's merchandise department, in promotional photographs and has plugged it on his Instagram account.
SGG Apparel, which features the initials of Gerrard whose middle name is George, is said to be inspired by the unique style of Liverpool men, their attitude and influences.
All the product style names are based on the street names and areas where Gerrard grew up.

Speaking when the range was launched, Gerrard said: "Fashion is such an important thing in Liverpool, and it's important to me.
"I've really enjoyed the process of creating a clothing range; it was vital to me that it was made up of pieces I would wear, and I'm really proud of the result.
"I'm already wearing some of the pieces while out and about."
Earlier this month, it was revealed Gerrard boosted the value of his personal company to £7million last year.
The Liverpool legend set up Steven Gerrard Promotions during his playing career to channel his off field income from the likes of sponsorship deals.
Accounts filed at Companies House for the 39-year-old's firm show its has net assets of £6,963,562.

Gerrard was appointed Rangers manager in June, 2018, and his side currently sit two points off the top of the Scottish Premiership with a game in hand after beating Celtic 2-1 on December 29.
Last month, he signed a two-year extension to his contract which will keep him at the club until the summer of 2024.
A spokeswoman for SGG Apparel declined to comment.

RANGERS manager Steven Gerrard has won a legal battle with two sportswear firms who tried to block his clothing range.
The Ibrox boss launched his own collection of menswear in 2018 called SGG Apparel which features polo shirts, jackets and hooded tops.

Steven Gerrard has won a legal battle over the logo of his clothing line SGG
The clothing range is a partnership between Gerrard and former club Liverpool and he signed up for it while coaching there before his move to Glasgow.
However, the project hit a snag when the Merseyside club applied to register SGG Apparel as a trademark in the UK to protect the brand.
Lotto Sport and Errea Sport both objected to the move saying that the diamond logo used on the Gerrard outfits was too similar to their own.
Lawyers for the sports clothing firms, who are both based in Italy, claimed customers could confuse the products.

Following a two-year battle, the UK Intellectual Property Office (IPO), who rule on trademark disputes, said SGG Apparel should be allowed the trademark after ruling their logo, which features two overlapping diamonds, was distinctly different from those of the rival firms.
Lotto Sport, who supplied Kilmarnock's kits for the 2007-08 season, appealed the decision but that has now been rejected by the IPO.
In his decision rejecting Lotto Sport's objection, trademark hearing officer George Salthouse said: "To my mind, the average consumer will view the opponent’s mark as comprising of two interlocking/overlapping rectangles with a rectangular hole in the middle.

SGG Apparel's logo spells out the Rangers boss' initials

The SGG emblem was ruled to be distinctly different from Lotto's 'interlocking rectangles'

Errea's badge was also seen as significantly different
"In contrast the applicant’s mark would be seen as two overlapping/interlocking diamonds.
"Both are relatively simple devices and both are distinctly different. The contention that both would be seen as a figure '8' is I believe somewhat far-fetched."
Mr Salthouse also ruled the diamond logo of Errea Sport, who are kit suppliers for Championship club Inverness Caledonian Thistle, was "significantly different" from the one used by SGG Apparel.
He added: "The opponent’s marks are not similar. To my mind, despite the fact that the users and some of the goods and services are identical, if a member of the public saw the applicant’s mark they would not immediately make the link to the opponent."

Errea Sport were ordered to pay £1,800 towards Liverpool's costs in the case while Lotto Sport were told to pay £3,200.
Gerrard has modelled the clothing range, which is managed by Liverpool's merchandise department, in promotional photographs and has plugged it on his Instagram account.
SGG Apparel, which features the initials of Gerrard whose middle name is George, is said to be inspired by the unique style of Liverpool men, their attitude and influences.
All the product style names are based on the street names and areas where Gerrard grew up.

Speaking when the range was launched, Gerrard said: "Fashion is such an important thing in Liverpool, and it's important to me.
"I've really enjoyed the process of creating a clothing range; it was vital to me that it was made up of pieces I would wear, and I'm really proud of the result.
"I'm already wearing some of the pieces while out and about."
Earlier this month, it was revealed Gerrard boosted the value of his personal company to £7million last year.
The Liverpool legend set up Steven Gerrard Promotions during his playing career to channel his off field income from the likes of sponsorship deals.
Accounts filed at Companies House for the 39-year-old's firm show its has net assets of £6,963,562.

Gerrard was appointed Rangers manager in June, 2018, and his side currently sit two points off the top of the Scottish Premiership with a game in hand after beating Celtic 2-1 on December 29.
Last month, he signed a two-year extension to his contract which will keep him at the club until the summer of 2024.
A spokeswoman for SGG Apparel declined to comment.

Just had a look at the logos.

Gerrard's is one inter locking diamond on top of another.

Lotto's is like a v with an upside down v on top of it.

Errea's is like two diamonds side by side but with no interlock and just blocked together.

Yes there are similarities, but FFS they're not the same, and to try and block someone from using as such, who the %^*& goes out of their way to buy Lotto or Errea gear?
Are these Ashley brands by any chance? Hope they are. Fat lady's front bottom.

Let's get SGG Apparel making our kits from next season!!! :)
Would this actually be possible?

Not sure how much I'd like it in terms of getting a good top, but we'd definitely get a good deal and get a bigger chunk of the sales than a Nike or addidas etc

Last edited:
Not knowing anything about copyright law,I think the logos are different enough,and most consumers can easily tell the difference.
I have one of the polo shirts,good quality.

%^*& knows how Gerrard won that btw. The lotto logo is definitely too similar. Errea on the other hand is just taking the piss.
Yeah, but I think lotto gubbed themselves because they never go with the diamonds on their own - from memory. I think they always have the word there too.

But to be honest, if you leave out both texts, I’d think SGG was a lotto knock off fae the barras :D

%^*& knows how Gerrard won that btw. The lotto logo is definitely too similar. Errea on the other hand is just taking the piss.
Liverpool’s lawyers seem to be very good when it comes to dealing with brand contract issues.
Have to say that SGG Apparel logo looks classy compared to those others.
I have some historical background in trademark law and I can see why the objections were made but can also easily understand why the adjudicator made the decision that there is no infringement.

Stevie G is so so rich that he doesn't need to bother with the torrent of shit that gets thrown his way as our manager. It makes him all the more magnificent, he could easily be coining it in by talking nonsense as a pundit every week for 0% of the hassle he gets up here.

Back