Rangers braced for bombshell punishment over sectarian singing (vs St Joseph’s at Ibrox)

That's a cop out mate. You are intelligent enough to comprehend that '19th Century Terrorist bastards' and being 'up to our knees in 19th Century Terrorist blood' is going to see us land in hot water. You don't need me, the Club or anyone else to tell you that.
I agree - people should know what the can and can’t sing. However, the club should come out and say what is out of bounds - it will leave no room for anyone to feign ignorance.

I did warn everybody that FARE were ready with their pens and paper , they’ve been to every uefa game at Ibrox and I also said they were furious last year that their complaints were ignored by uefa .

It just made them even more determined to “ nail “ us this year , now here we are .

The club need to ask for proof of chanting or refuse the fine . Ban FARE from our ground otherwise this will never stop .

I’ll also add - STOP singing about bobby sands, the pope and 19th Century Terrorists- nobody wants to hear that shite anymore at our games .

I certainly don’t want to hear about fecking booby sands. Some of our fans sing more about him than the mopes

Regardless of any whataboutery, those moaning about their freedom of speech need to check the terms and conditions attached to a match ticket.

And do a bit of research into the legal standing of 'freedom of speech', especially when in someone else's property under someone else's rules. We don't have tru freedom of speech, and there are legal cases that the right fto free speech is overridden by the laws regarding offensive speech.

Instead of arguing amongst each other,we should be informing UEFA of FARE's clear and long running political agenda against our club and support. UEFA know nothing about the songs we sing or the context of those songs. UEFA are told by bigots at FARE what they supposedly mean.

Sorry, but UEFA don't care. we are neither big enough or important enough for them to listen

So tell me this if celtic call themselves '19th Century Terrorists' and '19th Century Terrorist army' then how can you punish someone else for calling them 19th Century Terrorists. Considering 19th Century Terrorist doesn't even mean Catholic so how is it actually sectarian

It's the same as black people and the 'N' word - ok for them to use it as that's not denigrating them

We will never, ever, face sanction for saying '%^*& the Pope'.

Are you seriously this fucking thick?

Read the rules. Supporters insulting others based on religion will be punished.

s2z7E4g.png

It's only one side refusing to accept responsibility for their actions that are making the thread a mess
I'd wager every single person in this thread has said, at one point, something 'banned by UEFA'. I'd also wager many of the people commenting are referring to things that aren't 'banned by UEFA', (Bobby Sands, etc.)

Saying '%^*& the Pope' will never, ever, be illegal.

Depends on the location and circumstances, however in this case, UEFA run the competition, they set the standards and if they say you can't say it then you can't say it.

It might not be illegal but it's against the rule sof the competition that rangers are playing in, then you don't sing it. have a look at the Ajax/19th Century Terrorist judgement to get an idea of the sort of thing they don't like.

If you want to protest about the pope why not do it outside your local chapel? Why do you need to wait until you're in a crowd at a football match? It's mind-boggling.
I'm not defending or declaring my desire to say it at the match, I am just saying it isn't hate speech under law or insulting the support under UEFA guidelines, in my opinion.

I will be on my supporters bus this Sunday and will see the hundreds of boys I know from the games we will all think the same on this issue. They will all be gutted to know that cyberniv says nobody cares what we think.

Aye so start thinking about where your bus heads when the inevitable ban comes your way. Because there are plenty waiting to take your place that are intelligent enough to know that they need to change and no embarrass the club. You wont be missed.

People asking for clarity & guidance from the club about songs

Stop using the word 19th Century Terrorist in it’s entirety

Any add ons that has ‘%^*& the pope or IRA’

‘No pope of Rome’
‘50p Flute song’
‘The Billy Boys’

Like it or not - that’s the clarity
I think it's only 'the word 19th Century Terrorist' that is directly problematic.

I don't actually sing the song at games because of the heat it brings to the club. But I was merely pointing out the inaccuracies of 19th Century Terrorist being a sectarian word. I know that ship has sailed long ago but it doesn't change the real meaning of the word. Obviously in an ideal world everyone wouldnt sing that song at games. But as they say sometimes when the drink is in the wit is out
Looking at a tweet online that has been posted on here already, UEFA will clamp down on the use of “19th Century Terrorist” like they did against Ajax. If we continue to use that word, regardless of who else uses it or what anyone else does, we will continue to be punished to the point of being expelled from Europa League, costing the club millions.

Saying '%^*& the Pope' isn't 'insulting other supporters', though.

Ok so you are that thick. Like it or not, the Pope is a person. The rule doesn't say it needs to be another supporter. You could direct your hatred at Julian Clary and it would be caught by the rule.

And no I'll not go back in my box while people don't get what is and is not acceptable in Ibrox Stadium.

I'd wager every single person in this thread has said, at one point, something 'banned by UEFA'. I'd also wager many of the people commenting are referring to things that aren't 'banned by UEFA', (Bobby Sands, etc.)
It doesn’t matter what anyone has sang in the past. We’ve known for years that any song containing 19th Century Terrorist bastards or fück the pope is liable to get some sort of punishment from UEFA.

To continue singing those songs knowing that is just fucking stupid and as a support we only have ourselves to blame.

No it's anything they deem discriminatory.

Sing songs that celebrate our culture - fine. Sings songs that denigrate others - not fine

I hate to open a can of worms here but I'll wager '%^*& the Pope' falls under the former and not the latter. Or could ably argue that it should.

I will be on my supporters bus this Sunday and will see the hundreds of boys I know from the games we will all think the same on this issue. They will all be gutted to know that cyberniv says nobody cares what we think.
Not caring what others think was your position, you stated it several times. Now it seems you do care. So was that just more hot air?

It's the same as black people and the 'N' word - ok for them to use it as that's not denigrating them
The N word was specifically used and probably created to be derogatory and is specifically about black people. 19th Century Terrorist on the other hand was the name of an organisation and not a name for all catholics

Looking at a tweet online that has been posted on here already, UEFA will clamp down on the use of “19th Century Terrorist” like they did against Ajax. If we continue to use that word, regardless of who else uses it or what anyone else does, we will continue to be punished to the point of being expelled from Europa League, costing the club millions.
Everyone should know now that we can't use the word and it will only harm the club.

Hopefully this is the wake up call some of our support have needed.

I’m sick of hearing FTP etc at games, does absolutely nothing for us as a club. Keep the loyalist/offensive songs to clubs/buses/functions etc.

Unfortunately I think there will be a minority who continue to sing the songs regardless.

You only have to look at the reaction of some of the older bears (mostly on here) when the welcome to the party song was sung in Denmark for the first time. They hated it because it didn’t have any FTP’s etc in it but it had the entire away end rocking. Some of the guys were even saying things like “what does it have to do with Rangers?” whilst simultaneously arguing we should be allowed to sing %^*& Bobby Sands.

Hopefully now the idiots - the bigots - will see the detrinent they are doing not only to the reputation of the club but the fans, club finances etc, especially with the 'three strikes are you're out policy.

We have many great Rangers songs which do not reference the Pope, the IRA or '19th Century Terrorists' please use them and stop continuing to act selfishly to the detriment of fellow fans and more importantly, the club.

Freedom of Speech does not give you an absolute right and does not include being racist or sectarian. Cut it out.

Well they're going to need proof.

How though? They send a delegate and they report back. If they say they’ve heard something, where is the recourse from our end? When they’re punishing an entire support for the actions of a few, it’s not beyond comprehension that a company with close ties to Celtic would basically hear what they want to.

BBC Radio Scotland news reporting "sectarian and RACIST behaviour". Is this what UEFA is alleging, or our friends at Pacific Quay making things up again?

Back