Rangers braced for bombshell punishment over sectarian singing (vs St Joseph’s at Ibrox)

I've not got the energy to go through the same arguments of the mid naughties, quite simply, if you believe TBB to be a perfectly acceptable and legal thing to sing then go and do it outside a Police station and have your day in court, don't be a fucking coward about it by hiding in the crowd and hoping the club fight legal battles on your behalf.

BBC Radio Scotland news reporting "sectarian and RACIST behaviour". Is this what UEFA is alleging, or our friends at Pacific Quay making things up again?

It’s what’s UEFA have said. Might be semantics, but I’m disappointed the club haven’t taken issue with the racist language.

Reading this thread, I despair. The club have asks fans to stop it because it damages the club’s reputation & it’s bank balance. Yet we have folk saying “but it’s our culture” or “but they sing something”. If it continues, the result will be extremely drastic. When will folk take responsibility for their actions?

I have brought my son to Ibrox since he was 6 years old, because I want him steeped in the glorious heritage and culture of the Rangers family. If I wanted to remind him of the troubles I'd bring him to Roselawn cemetery and the graves of his family members. F**k the IRA, is right. But there's a time and a place for all of that, let's make this a turning point in making sure that place is no longer Ibrox or any other place the famous visit.

How though? They send a delegate and they report back. If they say they’ve heard something, where is the recourse from our end? When they’re punishing an entire support for the actions of a few, it’s not beyond comprehension that a company with close ties to Celtic would basically hear what they want to.

The solution is simple.

Don't sing what they want to hear.

From four lads twitter:

People asking for clarity & guidance from the club about songs

Stop using the word 19th Century Terrorist in it’s entirety

Any add ons that has ‘%^*& the pope or IRA’

‘No pope of Rome’
‘50p Flute song’
‘The Billy Boys’

Like it or not - that’s the clarity

We were sanctioned for Build my Gallows in Eindhoven 2011.

As a supporter of 60 years from being a wee boy to the old %*%* I am now, I think its time for us all to take a step back and use whatever brains each of us have and recognise the real danger of this punishment.
There is a clear and unmistakable message to us as a support to cut out the FTP and 19th Century Terrorist blood from the songs we might choose to sing at Ibrox or face the ultimate penalty of expulsion.
Its time to grow up and recognise what we are singing about and get smart to what is acceptable to the rest of the world and what is not.
Anyone who continues to sing this stuff at Ibrox is a selfish prick who doesn't care about the Club or the rest of the support(including the vast numbers of weans) who will suffer because some folk cant control their tongues.
You can still express your identity as you want to, but cut out all the add-ons because they are what gets us into trouble.
Time to get smart and grow.

Aye so start thinking about where your bus heads when the inevitable ban comes your way. Because there are plenty waiting to take your place that are intelligent enough to know that they need to change and no embarrass the club. You wont be missed.
They can keep waiting pal, nobody is taking my place. Enjoy your weekend.

Wow, spent the last 45 minutes going through all the threads and posts and still not through it all.

This was coming, you could see it a mile off. Why this season and not last - same song book. What's changed this time around?

We should have binned the FTP’s and any mention of the IRA years ago, but it is a disgrace the way we are treated differently from the scum. They are amongst the most fined in Europe for their behaviour and belt out terrorist supporting songs every game. How can they not face a closure for their behaviour against Cluj?

It’s not whataboutery, all we ask for is equality of the standards we are being held to. Until those at the Club really push for this we will continue to be the easy target.

A lot of people blaming specifically FARE and I agree they are biased, but there will also be plenty within our own media and association clubs that will be reporting anything they hear. I don’t think that is something that is done by our side, same as with reports to the compliance officer here, we need to fight back, people are right, we can stop singing the songs and they will keep coming after us for something else, that’s the way hatred works.

You don’t seem to have read what was being discussed. None of us are suggesting singing about 19th Century Terrorists.

What FARE want to hear is absolute silence at Ibrox, and their Celtic supporting chief exec will do whatever it takes to ensure that happens.

Sing Rangers songs and there will be no issues.

Whilst I haven't read the whole discussion, my point remains.

Somehow I don't think anyone will be offended by Blue Sea of Ibrox, Follow Follow, Every Saturray We Follow etc.

Let's not get hysterical about it.

The club are totally accountable for this. We got a daft PR campaign that people lapped up that was worthless tokenism-they don't take the front foot on the bigger issues/enemies and have basically let a bunch of young boys consistently act naughty very probably with no idea of the consequences of what they were doing.

This didn't happen overnight-what do people like Stewart Robertson get paid for-the vast majority of decent supporters are going to suffer, the good name of the club suffers and it is bad bad news in a crucial season. Time for a lot of the support to wake up both those who think they can do what they want and those who can't see the rebuilding isn't just required on the park-we need experts in this type of leadership to sort this type of stuff out.

You don’t seem to have read what was being discussed. None of us are suggesting singing about 19th Century Terrorists.

What FARE want to hear is absolute silence at Ibrox, and their Celtic supporting chief exec will do whatever it takes to ensure that happens.
See this is bollocks, anyone older than 22 and a brain will remember the club being taken to court over TBB in the mid naughties, the Rangers support dropping 19th Century Terrorist references and FTP add ons and we continued to sing Derry's Walls in European competition with zero consequences.

Hopefully this is the wake up call some of our support have needed.

I’m sick of hearing FTP etc at games, does absolutely nothing for us as a club. Keep the loyalist/offensive songs to clubs/buses/functions etc.

Unfortunately I think there will be a minority who continue to sing the songs regardless.

You only have to look at the reaction of some of the older bears (mostly on here) when the welcome to the party song was sung in Denmark for the first time. They hated it because it didn’t have any FTP’s etc in it but it had the entire away end rocking. Some of the guys were even saying things like “what does it have to do with Rangers?” whilst simultaneously arguing we should be allowed to sing %^*& Bobby Sands.
See also Penny Arcade. You can have a great singalong song without it being specifically about Rangers.

I hate all this easily offended stuff and I do think singing songs should be the least of uefas worries.
Up until today I would have spoke in favour of some of the guys on here who like a good sing song,but with whats happened to rangers today,I have changed my mind.
Make no mistake this has cast a shadow for Thursday night and instead of talking football,now the whole build up is going to be about things off the park. Hopefully it doesn't affect the team and I know It pissed off some of our fans,but we just have to bite our tongue on this and drop the songs.
Let's have a great atmosphere on Thursday night,get through this and get back to the on the park stuff.

Here’s a thought. Maybe we shouldn’t wait for the club to weed these people out, why don’t we start at places such as here?
This is an excellent post. By allowing sectarian shite to continue in here admin are merely perpetuating the culture of ignorance and intolerance that the club is desperate to eradicate. This just isnt on the club - fans online forums need to take a stand too.

See this is bollocks, anyone older than 22 and a brain will remember the club being taken to court over TBB in the mid naughties, the Rangers support dropping 19th Century Terrorist references and FTP add ons and we continued to sing Derry's Walls in European competition with zero consequences.

You’ve not even read what is being discussed, if you had, and had a brain, you’d realise what your saying isn’t relevant.

Sing Rangers songs and there will be no issues.

Whilst I haven't read the whole discussion, my point remains.

Somehow I don't think anyone will be offended by Blue Sea of Ibrox, Follow Follow, Every Saturray We Follow etc.

Let's not get hysterical about it.

Your ignorance on the impact of FARE on our club, not to mention their background, is deeply concerning.

Beyond belief how many of our fans are oblivious of what’s going on here.

The same organisation has been responsible for bringing two charges against us, zero against Celtic. Just so happens, their chief exec is a Tim. If that’s not a conflict of interest, nothing is.

This is an excellent post. By allowing sectarian shite to continue in here admin are merely perpetuating the culture of ignorance and intolerance that the club is desperate to eradicate. This just isnt on the club - fans online forums need to take a stand too.

What’s admins view on this, before I post anything else?

Your ignorance on the impact of FARE on our club, not to mention their background, is deeply concerning.

Beyond belief how many of our fans are oblivious of what’s going on here.

Your attitude is deeply concerning.

Our issue is our fans.

By making excuses like you are (we do X, they do X too. We are treated unfairly etc) you only excuse the behaviour of the simpletons and legitimise it by making excuses.

Think about it.

It’s what’s UEFA have said. Might be semantics, but I’m disappointed the club haven’t taken issue with the racist language.
I understand, but the BBC are emphasising the "racist" angle. It's not just semantics, they're literally reporting something that didn't happen. Just to be clear, we have brought this sanction on ourselves, and I despair that we have an element that simply won't desist from their selfish and irresponsible behaviour.

Euro nights bring out the bams. My boys are always laughing at the nick of folk. Last one this geezer staggering up the stairs shouting FTP.

Us sober fans are gonna have to tell these guys to reign it in.

I’m not saying this song is right or this song is wrong or the what’s going across the city is let off we all know what’s right and wrong and what club gets away with it as usual.
What we need to think about is our manager , yes our players of all religion and what’s acceptable to them. We need to change and change now.

Hahahaha what? My reply to you there is literally slagging you for thinking any of us are going to care about what you say.
My apologies, too much for you to take in. Try looking up the Dunning Kruger effect and realise where you fit in.
Enjoy your trip on Sunday, Try not to damage the Club further. There may come a time when the Club just stops taking away allocations, When it comes to ground closures, loss of income and reputation do you really think the Club is going to stand watching this for much longer?

I’d still have liked the club to emphasise that no racist singing occurred, even if for PR reasons. Racism sounds so much worse than sectarianism.
Problem is if we say 19th Century Terrorist doesn’t mean catholic but means Irish Republican, they get us on the race card. Their definition is wide, they would ideally want no-one to sing anything derogatory.

Euro nights bring out the bams. My boys are always laughing at the nick of folk. Last one this geezer staggering up the stairs shouting FTP.

The club cant really do much about the guy you mention.
It's not the fellow fans job to police this either...how about stewards and police do their job.

I only managed to attend the Vilarreal group stage home game last season and some of the people were in some nick. Like how do you that blootered in 2 hours after work?

Your attitude is deeply concerning.

Our issue is our fans.

By making excuses like you are (we do X, they do X too. We are treated unfairly etc) you only excuse the behaviour of the simpletons and legitimise it by making excuses.

Think about it.

I’ve literally not done anything of the sort. Seems to be the go to for people like you who can’t think beyond a single track issue.

Our fans on the whole are terrific. We are being punished as an entirety due to the actions of a few, and in no reality is that just and fair. The acceptance of it as such is sickening, quite honestly.

Hopefully a catalyst for change where we can move on positively, we could be on the cusp of something huge here with this manager and team and we can't let the half wits destroy it. "Whit aboot Celtic" is never going to work as a defence so time to move on and hopefully we can self-police the crap out of our songbook, if we don't I dread to think where this is going.

I’ve literally not done anything of the sort. Seems to be the go to for people like you who can’t think beyond a single track issue.

Our fans on the whole are terrific. We are being punished as an entirety due to the actions of a few, and in no reality is that just and fair. The acceptance of it as such is sickening, quite honestly.

Because what we have been charged with is a single issue - sectarian chanting by our fans.

I'm sure you'll be a lot more sickened if we are further sanctioned and the ground is shut. Then you can continue to say 'but celtic do x too' without actually tackling the issue and further legitimising unacceptable behaviour.

Head out the sand. Stop making excuses.

An Irish Republican is a race?...news to me.
No but Irish is, any sort of descriptor like that will be jumped upon.

That hate crime industry is a strange beast, with people reacting to the slightest inference. I did a lot of work in it in the past and the way they define words and phrases surprises many

If you are defiant over this and continue to want to sing then you are quite simply thick ,stupid ,no brains .

Back