Rangers captain James Tavernier branded serial loser by Chris Sutton ahead of Celtic final (Record)

NDC bear forever

There is your motivation Tav.
The former Celtic star and pundit has strong words on the Rangers captain's potential Ibroxlegacy.

Chris Sutton insits James Tavernier will always be branded a loser until the Rangerscaptain gets his hands on major silverware.

The Record Sport columnist reckons Sunday’s Old Firm Betfred Cup Final showdown is almost too close to call – but Rangers will be the side feeling the pressure to end their eight-year trophy drought.

Tavernier has watched fierce foes Celticsweep up all the domestic honours during his four-and-a-half years at Ibrox.

Sutton believes Rangers will provide a far more formidable challenge this time out – but he insisted it’s now or never for Rangers to ditch the nearly men tag.

The BT Sport pundit said: “Will it run through Rangers’ players minds the fact that the likes of Tavernierhas been there for a number of years now and he’s been a serial loser?

“He needs to win something.

“Rangers are moving in the right direction but they have to win silverware.

“If you ask both managers what is the bigger deal this season, they’d both say winning the league.

“But the Betfred Cup is always important. It certainly takes the pressure off the winning manager and cranks it up on the losing one.

“Maybe more so this season.

“Rangers fans keep saying their are coming but they have been coming for quite a while now.

“They do need to win something.

“Psychologically it would be a blow if they failed. It’s a chance for Celtic to continue this unbelievable trophy record.

“But it can’t carry on for ever. The treble Treble was phenomenal but it’s impossible to keep going.

“Rangers have to come back at some stage. We’re getting to the stage where it’s now or never.”

“It they win on Sunday it would be a major boost but I don’t think it would mean they’ve cracked it.

“The league is the big one.

“Rangers don’t want to be known as a nearly team. Gerrard won’t want to be a nearly manager.

“Second is last in Glasgow – that’s always been the case.

“The margins are so tight and both managers are aware of the implications.

“Gerrard is on record as saying he knows he needs to win silverware and he knows four out of four would not be a good look.”

BT Sport’s live coverage of Rangers v Celtic in The Betfred Cup final starts from 2pm on Sunday 8th December on BT Sport 1.

There is your motivation Tav.
The former Celtic star and pundit has strong words on the Rangers captain's potential Ibroxlegacy.

Chris Sutton insits James Tavernier will always be branded a loser until the Rangerscaptain gets his hands on major silverware.

The Record Sport columnist reckons Sunday’s Old Firm Betfred Cup Final showdown is almost too close to call – but Rangers will be the side feeling the pressure to end their eight-year trophy drought.

Tavernier has watched fierce foes Celticsweep up all the domestic honours during his four-and-a-half years at Ibrox.

Sutton believes Rangers will provide a far more formidable challenge this time out – but he insisted it’s now or never for Rangers to ditch the nearly men tag.

The BT Sport pundit said: “Will it run through Rangers’ players minds the fact that the likes of Tavernierhas been there for a number of years now and he’s been a serial loser?

“He needs to win something.

“Rangers are moving in the right direction but they have to win silverware.

“If you ask both managers what is the bigger deal this season, they’d both say winning the league.

“But the Betfred Cup is always important. It certainly takes the pressure off the winning manager and cranks it up on the losing one.

“Maybe more so this season.

“Rangers fans keep saying their are coming but they have been coming for quite a while now.

“They do need to win something.

“Psychologically it would be a blow if they failed. It’s a chance for Celtic to continue this unbelievable trophy record.

“But it can’t carry on for ever. The treble Treble was phenomenal but it’s impossible to keep going.

“Rangers have to come back at some stage. We’re getting to the stage where it’s now or never.”

“It they win on Sunday it would be a major boost but I don’t think it would mean they’ve cracked it.

“The league is the big one.

“Rangers don’t want to be known as a nearly team. Gerrard won’t want to be a nearly manager.

“Second is last in Glasgow – that’s always been the case.

“The margins are so tight and both managers are aware of the implications.

“Gerrard is on record as saying he knows he needs to win silverware and he knows four out of four would not be a good look.”

BT Sport’s live coverage of Rangers v Celtic in The Betfred Cup final starts from 2pm on Sunday 8th December on BT Sport 1.
Huh :confused:

I'm sorry to say this but I get what he is saying.

Tav is the captain but too many times he has not shown the qualities of a captain. There have been times when he went into hiding with the rest of the team when all the players needed a kick up the butt.

If Tav is not up for that he should not have the armband.

As for the rest: He is right too. I know we are still far behind them in terms of finances, squad (I'll probably get slaughtered for this),... but we haven proven last season that we can absolutely, 100% beat them. It's time that is translated into silverware.

Do people really think Tav will get any more motivation from this ffs?

He is captaining us in a cup final against them. It is impossible to need (or get) any more motivation.

I'm sorry to say this but I get what he is saying.

Tav is the captain but too many times he has not shown the qualities of a captain. There have been times when he went into hiding with the rest of the team when all the players needed a kick up the butt.

If Tav is not up for that he should not have the armband.

As for the rest: He is right too. I know we are still far behind them in terms of finances, squad (I'll probably get slaughtered for this),... but we haven proven last season that we can absolutely, 100% beat them. It's time that is translated into silverware.

I’m happy he’s saying this, because many of us as bears have this concern.

Get this publicised & let our players react to it.

Should unite and have us rally behind Tav but sadly as I've witnessed online for months. A lot of Rangers fans tend to agree with Sutton on this one.

An absolute classless piece of shit.

There's a way of saying things as a pundit. You could say the jury's out on Tavernier as a captain, you could say the pressure is on him to deliver, you could say he's got it all to prove. All justifiable, all acceptable.

Not this cúnt. He goes with the serial loser tag. It's the sort of thing you'd expect off a braindead Tim phoning in Clyde.

Ram it down his throat on Sunday Tav.

I hate Sutton but he’s not wrong in what he’s saying here. We simply have to win on Sunday. I’m worried about how far it sets us back if we don’t.
only as far as the league title and Scottish cup final in 2020 which we will win

Sutton is a wanker. However, whilst I have no doubt there is malice in what he says, it is also correct. Tav doesn’t have what it takes sadly to drive us up a level, and we need that. He’s good, but trophyless.

The colossal egotistical prick, the diver, the bankrupt, the spitter, the guy who accuses fellow pros of throwing a game, the guy who gets himself sent off when he can’t hack it, the cheat, that is Sutton.
Imagine being so conceited as to call anyone else a loser.
We must be playing his rancid club.

I hate Sutton but he’s not wrong in what he’s saying here. We simply have to win on Sunday. I’m worried about how far it sets us back if we don’t.
This season is not about Sunday.
If you told me we could only win the league cup the season I would be devastated.
Yes it would be great to have a trophy and a massive psychological boost but the SPFL, the Scottish Cup and the Europa League are all far more important.

Actually read what he says. Not that ridiculous for once. Prove him wrong Tav

Why would I want to read the opinions of that arsehole? It’s nothing other than a dig at the Rangers captain. If big Gough was the captain of the teams Tav has played in he wouldn’t have won anything either.

What did Walter pin on the wall that game against the mentally challengeds?

Healy spoke about it, then the team talk that followed it?

Was it the LC final?

End of day if Tav isn't using these comments and memories of previous horrible defeats to make sure it is his hands on the trophy on Sunday then he's right. Tav and the rest of the team should want this far more than the celtic players an play like men possessed to end this long wait for a trophy.

Would Kevin Keegan love it for Tav to lift cup on Sunday and as he lifts it above his head shout "%^*& you sutton!'

And for Alfie to 'own it' in front of their shitey fans. That will be glorious!

Like 2016, It's all about the first goal and if we get it i expect their fans to go full on psycho-tim as they did then.

Chill out, the pressure is on them to keep winning. Support the team.

Another filth mouthpiece who is compelled to talk about Rangers instead of his own team.

It is very clear these fuds take more pleasure out of putting the boot into Rangers than they do celebrating the achievements of their own team. This only proves them to be haters and extremely sad individuals.

Now Piss Sutton tell me about the Rangers v Dunfermline conspiracy.

What did Walter pin on the wall that game against the mentally challengeds?

Healy spoke about it, then the team talk that followed it?

Was it the LC final?
Healy said the team were nearly tearing the walls down during that speech.

Should unite and have us rally behind Tav but sadly as I've witnessed online for months. A lot of Rangers fans tend to agree with Sutton on this one.

How many times do we have to ‘rally round’ before Tav starts playing like a true captain of Rangers?

If he’s not up to the job, (and, he’s clearly not) ,give the armband to another - there’s very obvious candidates.

Coming from the man who thinks Scott Brown is the best footballer in Scotland. Paid up Celtic mouth piece and nothing else.

Have to agree there to be honest. A guy who loses a title and blames it on teams lying down to his rivals can't be branded anything else.

Oh wait....

Back