Rangers & Celtic chiefs shared secret emails over move to England in 2011- Scottish Sun

I cant see It happening anytime soon, a spanish, French, German or Italian team will join the English league before a Scottish team will. Just because we share a border doesn’t make it a less ridiculous concept.
Oh yes it does.

Nice one. I laughed.

Think with the explosion of the FAI, the FAW trundling along but supporting the square root of feck all, there will be little appetite to risk the IFAB places of the home nations with a move that cut the legs off the SFA.

only way this would happen is if FIFA (backed by UEFA for Euro purposes sanctioned pan regional leagues where neighbouring countries tied up together, Can't see the big 5 in Europe backing this. There was talk of tier 2 Euro nations (e.g. Holland, Belgium, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Scotland, Sweden, Denmark, Hungary and Russia combining but UEFA blocked it,

I believe that scums last visit to Arsenal ensured that they are not welcome in England. Booing the forces, revolting IRA songs and of course their anti Lee Rigby stuff sickened many.

English football no longer needs us in the slightest.

In the 90s, when the money wasn't all that different maybe there could've been chance. It'll never happen now, why would any club want us to come in and jeopardise their £150m?

Maybe we should write to Boris and ask him to get us the gig as part of the one nation conservatism. That would really piss the Snatsis right off!!! :))

Lovely. This should go over well at the piggery. They already hate Liewell for milking millions from their shitey cesspit, having it confirmed he was in secret meetings to “elope” to England with Bain should send them over a cliff.

I believe that scums last visit to Arsenal ensured that they are not welcome in England. Booing the forces, revolting IRA songs and of course their anti Lee Rigby stuff sickened many.
Agreed, security reasons would become the default explanation for clubs looking for a reason to reject such a move, though to be fair they don't need an excuse, it's their league.

Love to see us there but don’t think it’s ever gonny happen. That mhob would get shown up for what they are.

Far too many cliches come out every time this subject is raised.

Heard them all - 'never gonna happen" - "Turkeys don't vote for Christmas" yadda, yadda yadda.

Here is the reality -

Whilst there is no sign of this happening right now, if Sky decided they wanted it to happen, then it will.

All the barriers SFA, UEFA, English clubs, etc, would all have their palms sufficiently greased that the obstacles would just evaporate.

David Murray was never keen for Rangers to make that move, but I imagine that the likes of Steven Gerrard would be, as at least then his players would get a chance of experiencing fair refereeing.

The EPL is getting more boring every season.
TV companies could force a change.

It will take us going to conference level and working our way up now

It would be lower than that, probably 7th or 8th tier and really something we should have properly explored 7/8 years ago when we went down to Scotland's lowest tier. We'd probably be on course in the English championship right now.

There is precedent as Gretna played in the English leagues, while Berwick play in Scotland. You then have all the Welsh sides in England and the English side in the Welsh league.

Can't see the lower league English teams allowing it unless we started from the bottom tier. I think if anything a breakaway euro league would be more likely, but even then I'd still be doubtful of it happening while the money is in the big leagues.

I’d like to think that we would be welcomed into the English league and it wouldn’t take long for that mob to show their true colours. With the impartial media coverage down there it wouldn’t take long

In theory, if we bought a conference team, what's to stop us loaning them players to get them successive promotions, and then when they get to Championship level or so, switch their stadium to Ibrox and we take over? Not that it'd ever happen, but what would the barrier to that be?

Bain was putty in the hands of the fat Japanese.

Never forget that press conference (sectarianism? ) where the lap dog nodded like a love struck teenager as big Pete spoke.

Any deal, if there ever was to be one, would have favoured the mentally challenged considerably - Such was Bain''s ineptitude.

Has everyone forgotten Lawwell and Dungcasters jaunts to London in a bid to save TV deals, be silly to think in 2012 that Lawwell was planting the seed for Celtc to go it alone in regards shifting to the EPL.

Probably our predicament at that time would've hampered it as someone else has said previously they'd have wanted both of us if at all.

If this ever happens Celtic fans will be exposed for what they truly are, no way would the press down there keep silent on their behaviour.

I don't think I would want us to move but I did in the past when I was younger.
Playing well in Europe, getting to the latter stages and winning the league up here will do for me.

So the scum were looking to use us as a means of getting into the EPL and at the same time scheming to nail us to the floor.

Were we not dead then or just dying. The following year must have been when this all changed.

It's very strange timings why this story comes out today. If us n them had drawn better Scottish cup ties it may have been put back.

It's been a while since we had one of those media sparked 'Old Firm trying to join English league' month frenzies. They've lovely catalysts now in the number of ex English backroom staff, Gerrard, Wilson, the large gap between seconds and third, falling share price of them and so on.

Maybe they'll read this thread and kick off another one. :D

Personally, I still like the idea muted years ago of a league consisting of us, and benelux teams. Lot more realistic.

It's always the old firm who are talked about when joining the English leagues - obviously, imo though if the likes of Bournemouth, Blackpool, Wigan, Barnsley, Watford etc can all make the premier league, the likes of sheep, hearts, hivs could do too

English football no longer needs us in the slightest.

In the 90s, when the money wasn't all that different maybe there could've been chance. It'll never happen now, why would any club want us to come in and jeopardise their £150m?

100%
Plus we could up end up in a situation where we were never competing for a league title ever again

Football competitions change dramatically every 20 years or so. I still think there will be some sort of cross border competition eventually

Back