Rangers claim Michael Stewart return proves BBC are ‘not serious’ about resolving dispute with club

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Rangers reckon that BBC Scotland's decision to welcome Michael Stewart back onto their platforms proves that they are not serious about resolving their long-running dispute with the club.

The footie pundit hasn't appeared on any Beeb shows since Monday February 3 - the night he blasted Rangers PR chief Jim Traynor.

But SunSport understands the ex-Hearts and Hibs star is set to end his exile in the coming days following constructive talks with BBC bosses.

The news hasn't gone down well with the Ibrox side.

In a statement, they claimed that Stewart hadn't been "fair or accurate".

And as there had been no "remorse" or "apology", they would not be taking part in any discussions aimed at resolving the long-standing dispute with the national broadcaster.

The statement read: "We note BBC Scotland’s comment about Michael Stewart and we also note they have had to remind him about their guidelines around fairness and accuracy.

"That they have had to do so, makes it clear he was neither fair nor accurate during his outburst which was broadcast on radio.

"It is important to remember that during that broadcast he was dismissive of any racist behaviour towards Alfredo Morelos during the last Old Firm match.

That the BBC is now happy to allow this contributor a return to their platforms even though he has shown no remorse or offered an apology to Rangers, Alfredo Morelos, or James Traynor, who has been attacked online and also physically, defies belief.

"This also tells us that BBC Scotland has no wish to resolve our long-standing issues, which are of course around fairness and accuracy.

"In light of this Rangers will not now resume discussions on resolving those issues with the BBC."

RANGERS reckon that BBC Scotland's decision to welcome Michael Stewart back onto their platforms proves that they are not serious about resolving their long-running dispute with the club.

The footie pundit hasn't appeared on any Beeb shows since Monday February 3 - the night he blasted Rangers PR chief Jim Traynor.

But SunSport understands the ex-Hearts and Hibs star is set to end his exile in the coming days following constructive talks with BBC bosses.

The news hasn't gone down well with the Ibrox side.

In a statement, they claimed that Stewart hadn't been "fair or accurate".

And as there had been no "remorse" or "apology", they would not be taking part in any discussions aimed at resolving the long-standing dispute with the national broadcaster.

The statement read: "We note BBC Scotland’s comment about Michael Stewart and we also note they have had to remind him about their guidelines around fairness and accuracy.

"That they have had to do so, makes it clear he was neither fair nor accurate during his outburst which was broadcast on radio.

"It is important to remember that during that broadcast he was dismissive of any racist behaviour towards Alfredo Morelos during the last Old Firm match.

"That the BBC is now happy to allow this contributor a return to their platforms even though he has shown no remorse or offered an apology to Rangers, Alfredo Morelos, or James Traynor, who has been attacked online and also physically, defies belief.

"This also tells us that BBC Scotland has no wish to resolve our long-standing issues, which are of course around fairness and accuracy.

"In light of this Rangers will not now resume discussions on resolving those issues with the BBC."

I would quite like it if the club made it clear within statements that the statements are being made to communicate to the fans and supporters. Communication with fans is the only reason the club should be making statements. Any one other than the fans and supporters can GTF.

BBC Scotland token gesture,like crimes in the confessional come back in son you've been forgiven, they don't learn do they.

well by not apologising it would seem him and the bbc are condoning racism or certainly denying it happened so I don't think we would lose in court
Dont you think the BBC have looked into this? They're a powerful corporation who probably deal with complaints every day. I think their lawyers will have been over the course by now.

the bbc needs cancelled. the only media organisation that you have no ability to refuse to pay for if you do not like their editorial stance or the output they put out there. i'm failing to see the arguments for keeping it publically funded at all these days.

Dont you think the BBC have looked into this? They're a powerful corporation who probably deal with complaints every day. I think their lawyers will have been over the course by now.
Don't think your wrong they'll definitely have their defence ready but I don't see how. It's an open goal and they've admitted they're at fault

yes I understand that mate but you would also think that Rangers would also have looked at the legal situation if they re employed Stewart
I also think its a bit more than a run of the mill complaint they're basically employing someone who denied racism when in fact he was proven wrong and still hasn't apologised

Don’t allow them any access to Ibrox or Auchenhowie. Blanket removal of media privileges.

And long term we must withdraw Rangers participation in ‘collective broadcasting rights’ once this contract ends. Similarly for TV broadcast rights, and we go our own way with RTV.

Last edited:
Yeah…we always do well when ever lawyers come into the picture!

giphy.gif

Absolutely no surprise whatsoever that he is being reinstated.

Hilariously plain what their game is. This no mark could be replaced easily at the drop of a hat yet they are desperate to have him back on air spouting his pish

Guy is an absolute parasite and a total loser

Back