Rangers claim Michael Stewart return proves BBC are ‘not serious’ about resolving dispute with club

Possibly a side issue, but why the f*ck do we continually include amateurish sounding phrases like “defies belief” and “staggering” in our statements?

Rangers reckon that BBC Scotland's decision to welcome Michael Stewart back onto their platforms proves that they are not serious about resolving their long-running dispute with the club.

The footie pundit hasn't appeared on any Beeb shows since Monday February 3 - the night he blasted Rangers PR chief Jim Traynor.

But SunSport understands the ex-Hearts and Hibs star is set to end his exile in the coming days following constructive talks with BBC bosses.

The news hasn't gone down well with the Ibrox side.

In a statement, they claimed that Stewart hadn't been "fair or accurate".

And as there had been no "remorse" or "apology", they would not be taking part in any discussions aimed at resolving the long-standing dispute with the national broadcaster.

The statement read: "We note BBC Scotland’s comment about Michael Stewart and we also note they have had to remind him about their guidelines around fairness and accuracy.

"That they have had to do so, makes it clear he was neither fair nor accurate during his outburst which was broadcast on radio.

"It is important to remember that during that broadcast he was dismissive of any racist behaviour towards Alfredo Morelos during the last Old Firm match.

That the BBC is now happy to allow this contributor a return to their platforms even though he has shown no remorse or offered an apology to Rangers, Alfredo Morelos, or James Traynor, who has been attacked online and also physically, defies belief.

"This also tells us that BBC Scotland has no wish to resolve our long-standing issues, which are of course around fairness and accuracy.

"In light of this Rangers will not now resume discussions on resolving those issues with the
Rangers reckon that BBC Scotland's decision to welcome Michael Stewart back onto their platforms proves that they are not serious about resolving their long-running dispute with the club.

The footie pundit hasn't appeared on any Beeb shows since Monday February 3 - the night he blasted Rangers PR chief Jim Traynor.

But SunSport understands the ex-Hearts and Hibs star is set to end his exile in the coming days following constructive talks with BBC bosses.

The news hasn't gone down well with the Ibrox side.

In a statement, they claimed that Stewart hadn't been "fair or accurate".

And as there had been no "remorse" or "apology", they would not be taking part in any discussions aimed at resolving the long-standing dispute with the national broadcaster.

The statement read: "We note BBC Scotland’s comment about Michael Stewart and we also note they have had to remind him about their guidelines around fairness and accuracy.

"That they have had to do so, makes it clear he was neither fair nor accurate during his outburst which was broadcast on radio.

"It is important to remember that during that broadcast he was dismissive of any racist behaviour towards Alfredo Morelos during the last Old Firm match.

That the BBC is now happy to allow this contributor a return to their platforms even though he has shown no remorse or offered an apology to Rangers, Alfredo Morelos, or James Traynor, who has been attacked online and also physically, defies belief.

"This also tells us that BBC Scotland has no wish to resolve our long-standing issues, which are of course around fairness and accuracy.

"In light of this Rangers will not now resume discussions on resolving those issues with the BBC."
Good rangers fck bbc scotland and ginger pubes

yes I understand that mate but you would also think that Rangers would also have looked at the legal situation if they re employed Stewart
I also think its a bit more than a run of the mill complaint they're basically employing someone who denied racism when in fact he was proven wrong and still hasn't apologised
I hear you mate, but I'm more than sure that whilst he was dropped they've had their lawyers look into it,root and branch.

All I'm saying really, is that I wouldn't want to see the club wasting money on a lost cause. After all they make plenty programmes that point the finger at some high up people and they obviously have their lawyers look at it, before they put them on tv. They will be experts in this kind of thing.

It takes a hell of a lot to take on the media in any form.

The only thing I can advise on Stewart is a public lynching on the squinty bridge.

I have never heard of a major media outlet not cooperating with largest club in the country and with no hint of resolve in the near future then surely it’s time for BBC HQ down south to get involved. I’m all for telling them to do one but i pay my licence fee as much as the next one. I would love a newspaper or even a politician to take this up and put pressure on the rhats.

I wonder what the BBC Sport headquarters in London think about the going’s on in Glasgow.?
We have a former Liverpool and England captain and icon managing one of the biggest clubs in the UK. But due to the, ignorance and stubbornness, at their Glasgow headquarters, they can’t get access to speak to Gerrard.
Could it get to the stage where London intervenes.??

I have never heard of a major media outlet not cooperating with largest club in the country and with no hint of resolve in the near future then surely it’s time for BBC HQ down south to get involved. I’m all for telling them to do one but i pay my licence fee as much as the next one. I would love a newspaper or even a politician to take this up and put pressure on the rhats.
Pretty sure they are well aware down in london what's going on. Problem is that they are controlled by the same kind of woke thinking that is all over the BBC.

Let's face it, they're going to throw everything at the tory party if they continue with their license fee policy.

The beeb was hijacked years ago and see themselves as more powerful than the govt.

Nonsense, it would only take 3 or 4 emails before it ended up on OFCOMs desk as adjudicators.
It is simply as clear a breach of the BBC Charter guidelines as you could find.
And you can guarantee we could beat them in court. If not, why bother.

They've gave us the middle finger, so they're clearly not concerned.

The quicker Boris fúcks them over with the TV licence the better.
Not sure it's gonna %^*& them over as hard as people might think. They will just turn into a subscription service and the likes of Eastenders, Dr Who,Peaky Blinders, Line of Duty, Match of the Day, etc will get them a shit load of those subscribing & thus the money back.

Sorry but for me it’s not good enough.

Not to mention the fact the only reason we are bothering our arse with Stewart is the fact he slandered Jim Traynor.

There has been countless incidents with the Scottish media either denying or downplaying the abuse Morelos receives and we remain silent.

There have been countless incidents where the media have purposely glossed over cheating in our matches and highlighted any misdemeanour against our rivals and we remain silent.

Our support are now treated as second class citizens up and down the country all helped by the demonisation of us in the Scottish media and we remain silent.

If you think this statement is fooling any of our support Traynor then think again.

I get you’ve been assaulted and for that I’m genuinely sorry and would never wish it upon anyone but your absolute neglect and disregard you have shown in defending our clubs other interests has been abysmal and for that you and preferably Robertson should walk now.

Sick and tired of this weak board/ shocking PR strategy. Amateurs.

Rangers restricting the reporting by McLaughlin was a dream come true for BBC Scotland. They now get to lie to the public that he was " banned " by Rangers and that they are not fully co-operating with the club in a noble show of solidarity and standing up for journalistic freedom. If we going to ban BBC Scotland, then do so completely and inform the public why.

Not to mention the fact the only reason we are bothering our arse with Stewart is the fact he slandered Jim Traynor.

There has been countless incidents with the Scottish media either denying or downplaying the abuse Morelos receives and we remain silent.

There have been countless incidents where the media have purposely glossed over cheating in our matches and highlighted any misdemeanour against our rivals and we remain silent.

Our support are now treated as second class citizens up and down the country all helped by the demonisation of us in the Scottish media and we remain silent.

If you think this statement is fooling any of our support Traynor then think again.

I get you’ve been assaulted and for that I’m genuinely sorry and would never wish it upon anyone but your absolute neglect and disregard you have shown in defending our clubs other interests has been abysmal and for that you and preferably Robertson should walk now.

there was more reaction to Stewarts comments on Traynor than there was to Stewart/English outbursts RE the crush at Kilmarnock. people lauding this statement should really look at the real issue here. we went after them because he attacked Traynor, talk about picking your battles. also we shouldn't be withdrawing from the table, we should have ended it with this puts even more emphasis on the fact that BBC London need to be much more aware of the sinister actions that seem to be happening up in Scotland.

Said this before and I'll say it again. This goes much deeper than a football club. This is everything to do with being a unionist in scotland.

We have a scottish tory party that piles in with a comment crtisicing Derek Mackay's brother for posting a video of us singing the Billy boys, with their quote. A vile sectarian song. The whole countries a basket case. Just look at the political silence today from Holyrood regarding a tranny called flowjob at a primary school.

What the hell you can expect rangers to do about all this is beyond me.

People who feel strongly need to get into politics to get back a strong unionist voice or it will just continue.

And they can go f@ck themselves for the license fee too as I stopped paying it about 4 years ago and won’t pay it again ever. I’m sure plenty more bears are doing likewise and rightly so.

On top of him showing zero sympathy or believing a player when he says he was racially abused he also made claims about the club, Traynor and one of the rag papers. If they're not willing to sack him the club should be escalating this a lot further than just saying they're putting talks with the bbc to the side

Long time reader since it became open to all but never actually posted.

The BBC thing made me post though. It's an absolute disgrace the way this has been handled. Make no mistake. By all parties might I add.

That said, let's not punish all the other sides of the BBC that are important. We need the animal documentaries for the kids to learn about how we are felling forests and what life is like in the jungle. The kids TV has set many a life straight. There is some good content on the BBC, don't forget that. The Panorama documentary about Amazon was a great piece of telly box and now that iPlayer is adding stuff it's a good service for what we pay. Did anyone watch the Amazon thing? Crazy how we are all being manipulated and lied to on a daily basis.

Don't like the commentary on the games? Turn the volume down. I find it abhorrent and watch with the sound down and the tunes on.

If we don't like what ASDAs politics are we to just start stealing like them over the other side of town? There be gold in them there BBC hills and I am not going to die on the MS one. Not so tough on the BBC folks folks.

I do get annoyed though that because of one persons comments we end up with McCann, really? No offense but I have never heard a smart word come out of his mouth. At least Thommo makes an effort with his jeans and beard! Surely nobody thinks he is a real pundit?

Agree with all though, get the lawyers up and paid, they have a ton of work coming their way.

Anyway, sorry for the first post rant, just feel strongly about the BBC. And about the NHS, but that's for the meeting by the docks.

Hopefully Hummel make a statement and mention Traynor then we might actually here what’s happened with that

I feels to me like a personal battle between James Traynor and his ex employer with us stuck in the middle. We are silent on many issues but quick to respond rapidly on others, usually where Taylor is involved.
Probably cause it's Traynor writing the statements

Quick enough to defend himself but not our club it seems. Can't be too negative as we're at least speaking up against them but on the surface of it I can't say I agree with how we're dealing with our statement situation at all.

Are we not still waiting for an apology after the Kilmarnock game at the start of the season when Rangers fans got crushed and him and his colleague accused Rangers fans of lying..?

Rangers restricting the reporting by McLaughlin was a dream come true for BBC Scotland. They now get to lie to the public that he was " banned " by Rangers and that they are not fully co-operating with the club in a noble show of solidarity and standing up for journalistic freedom. If we going to ban BBC Scotland, then do so completely and inform the public why.
This is the better course of action. Man up

The club should have escalated this dispute to London HQ years ago

Gollum having his press privileges removed and Pacific Quay CSC then refusing to send other colleagues to support Gollum should have seen the club take more draconian sooner

There have been numerous examples of BBC bias and people like Spence Stewart English Cosgrove etc have all overstepped the mark over a variety of issues

Now Traynor is in the firing line we want to escalate the issue to London

The fact Stewart has issues no apology or acknowledged the racist abuse of Alfie at Parkpaed shows he has no contrition and doesn’t feel he’s wrong to continually as for evidence of the abuse

Proves to me he’s on Hollicom or Lieswell payroll

Stewart is also anti Rangers due to his political leanings and his impartiality is non existent so there are a number of issues Rangers could force his removal

The lawyers must have grounds to go after BBC for failing to adhere to their charter as we have numerous complaints against Pacific Quay and a variety of employees and pundits they choose to give a platform on the national broadcaster airtime

I wonder what the BBC Sport headquarters in London think about the going’s on in Glasgow.?
We have a former Liverpool and England captain and icon managing one of the biggest clubs in the UK. But due to the, ignorance and stubbornness, at their Glasgow headquarters, they can’t get access to speak to Gerrard.

This is what I keep waiting for.

For me Bill Leckie article in the sun on Morelos was much worse but we’ve done nothing about that

this one here, which I’m happy about, appears only to be going this far because it was a personal attack on JT, this is more to do with egos imo

The BBC always defend their own. It's why so few complaints are upheld, and staff are rarely diaciplined

I feels to me like a personal battle between James Traynor and his ex employer with us stuck in the middle. We are silent on many issues but quick to respond rapidly on others, usually where Taylor is involved.

Anyone paying attention knows that the Sun were the real culprits since December 29th. Six weeks of borderline racist and downright xenophobic coverage of Alfie. The club allowed it to go unchecked and then only went public with their outrage when the BBC annoyed Traynor.

The abuse of Alfie was basically chucked in alongside Traynor's gripe. IMO, the club completely did him a disservice and he deserved better from us.

Still, at least Traynor got to continue his wee agenda with his enemies on the back of the club's name. Priorities and all that.

This was a chance to claw back some creditability from the BBC by sacking Michael Stewart but they have chosen to continue to employ and give a platform to a 'shock jockey' with zero insightful or thought provoking opinion on Scottish football. Crazy!

The whole issue was never really thought through on our side. It didn’t seem to occur that McLaughlin’s ban* played right into their hands because it allowed them to formalise their bias against the club.

The dispute should all have been sorted out long before now. Given that Rangers fans pay the licence fee but receive shoddy treatment, it is a political issue - we needed to get a MP or MSP lobbying on our behalf. Having a high-profile figure like Steven Gerrard as manager is ideal for publicising matters like this but we’ve spurned the opportunity. A few words from him would reach a U.K.wide audience.

There is a huge anti-BBC lobby which we’ve failed to exploit.

Ultimately the writing is on the wall - we must develop our own media outlets and completely bypass legacy media. There has been a total failure of imagination on our part.

* The fans wanted people like that banned and this was the club’s way of doing it (other clubs have done the same). The club calls it a ban.

Long time reader since it became open to all but never actually posted.

The BBC thing made me post though. It's an absolute disgrace the way this has been handled. Make no mistake. By all parties might I add.

That said, let's not punish all the other sides of the BBC that are important. We need the animal documentaries for the kids to learn about how we are felling forests and what life is like in the jungle. The kids TV has set many a life straight. There is some good content on the BBC, don't forget that. The Panorama documentary about Amazon was a great piece of telly box and now that iPlayer is adding stuff it's a good service for what we pay. Did anyone watch the Amazon thing? Crazy how we are all being manipulated and lied to on a daily basis.

Don't like the commentary on the games? Turn the volume down. I find it abhorrent and watch with the sound down and the tunes on.

If we don't like what ASDAs politics are we to just start stealing like them over the other side of town? There be gold in them there BBC hills and I am not going to die on the MS one. Not so tough on the BBC folks folks.

I do get annoyed though that because of one persons comments we end up with McCann, really? No offense but I have never heard a smart word come out of his mouth. At least Thommo makes an effort with his jeans and beard! Surely nobody thinks he is a real pundit?

Agree with all though, get the lawyers up and paid, they have a ton of work coming their way.

Anyway, sorry for the first post rant, just feel strongly about the BBC. And about the NHS, but that's for the meeting by the docks.

you feel that strongly about the bbc you cant watch listen to the commentary on our games but we need to suck it up as they produce good animal shows for kids?

The whole BBC thing and wanting "The Club" to take action is fair enough but it's actually always been an "open goal" for us fans.

We will all have access to BBC content one way or another and as such are customers. Customers of a publicly funded broadcaster who treats our club and ourselves with contempt. Get the complaints in, even if they don't work they'll tie up time and resource for the contemptible tossers!

Edit: For the record, I have just registered a complaint on the BBC website, it takes 5 minutes of your time, go for it Bears.

Last edited:
Club 1872 Statement on BBC Scotland
Dear Member,

Club 1872 has been in dialogue with Rangers for several weeks regarding Michael Stewart’s offensive and defamatory comments on Sportsound regarding Alfredo Morelos and Jim Traynor. Rangers were in agreement with us that Michael Stewart’s comments were completely unacceptable, and made strong representations to the BBC on that basis.

It was correct that the club engaged directly with BBC Scotland to make their position clear and attempt to resolve this issue. Rangers fans deserve to receive value for the licence fee which funds BBC Scotland’s activities. The decision to reinstate Mr Stewart, and the attempted justification for that reinstatement, makes it clear that under its current leadership BBC Scotland has no intention of ever properly discharging its duty to a significant section of licence fee payers in Scotland.

In an eight minute rant, Mr Stewart did his best to cast doubt on racist abuse of Alfredo Morelos. He then went on to describe the placement of PR stories, an issue he had completely fabricated, as being “more concerning” than racist abuse and “the main story”. This clear and disgraceful attempt to minimise racism should have been condemned by BBC Scotland but instead they have completely ignored it. His defamatory comments about Jim Traynor were not only false and inflammatory but in our opinion were a factor in the physical assault on him just days later. Quite simply, Michael Stewart should have been sacked on the spot. The contrast between how BBC Scotland dealt with this and how the BBC in England have dealt with similar issues is stark.

The assertion by BBC Scotland that they have now adequately resolved this issue by simply explaining Mr Stewart’s responsibilities to him is an insult to the intelligence. Mr Stewart was already well aware of his responsibilities having had several complaints lodged against him for similar behaviour - most notably when he denied that Rangers supporters were placed in a dangerous crushing situation at Rugby Park earlier this season despite clear evidence to the contrary. There is a pattern of behaviour with Michael Stewart on any Rangers related topic and his motivation is abundantly clear to anyone who pays attention.

BBC Scotland’s reputation, already damaged by their refusal to deal properly with their ongoing biased coverage of Rangers, now lies in tatters over this matter. It is decisions like this that have led to more and more questions being asked about the future of the licence fee. Rangers supporters are correct to mistrust BBC Scotland and it is clear that the organisation is deeply flawed at an institutional level. There is no accountability, no integrity and no responsibility - from senior management all the way down to Mr Stewart’s level.

Rangers are correct to withdraw from all dialogue and we believe that those discussions should not resume until the BBC is able to demonstrate with action, not words, that they have regained some control over BBC Sport Scotland.

Issued by Supporters Voice Limited, a Club 1872 company

Back